Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Is he gonna ask to see their papers, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The fact is, you can't prove a negative. Is the fact that nothing happened because one person (or one police car) was there, or that there just wasn't a crazy person bent on violence targeting that place at all? I'm not going to go further off topic with more examples of how that logic doesn't flow.

The more armed citizens there are the less crime there is? With millions more guns in this country than people, this should be among the safest countries on earth, if your facts are correct. Fact is, it's not.

I maintain it is naive to think that one armed person, police or posse, would do anything to prevent someone bent on violence in an amusement park or one of our large school campuses from doing just that.

Back to topic.
I still agree with this right here.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Did you guys forget that not that long ago, someone *blew up* a building full of FBI agents? The perps didnt use "assault weapons", they used diesel fuel and fertilizer. The cops, the tsa, and sheriff joes posse cant "protect" you. That's why I want a gun.

Lithium & basic mental health services for the deranged in our population would be alot cheaper than armed guards in the schools.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They must like what he does and who he is. He keeps winning elections. If you don't like him or what he does you are in the wrong state and in the minority. He isn't the law in Phoenix. He is the Maricopa County Sheriff. Phoenix has their own PD.
Your post is confusing as hell! First you say that I'm in the wrong state? Is Joe the sheriff of every Arizona county? Then you contradict yourself saying he's not the law in Phoenix? Believe me I'm not in the minority, half of the nation thinks this guy's a joke!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
And he's effective. I would not want to be in Tent City, so I'm careful to not break the law and get arrested. Probably there are others who are careful also.
Yep, nothing like fear to keep us in our place! Let freedom ring!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Yep, nothing like fear to keep us in our place! Let freedom ring!
Freedom does not include the right to violate the law. And jails should not be hotels.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Freedom does not include the right to violate the law. And jails should not be hotels.
And *schools* shouldn't be like jails.

And *jail* isn't the same thing as *prison*.. half the people there haven't been convicted of anything, and the other half are there for *minor* crimes.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

And *jail* isn't the same thing as *prison*.. half the people there haven't been convicted of anything, and the other half are there for *minor* crimes.
And a few of them may be completely innocent. There are also some innocent people in prisons. Does that mean we have to have a hotel atmosphere in jails and prisons. I don't think so.

We're soft on crime in this country. Prisons allow gangs to control; they allow attacks, riots, rapes and murders to occur; and the prisoners "demand" respect, or they attack the guards. So I'm glad to see one sheriff who is not afraid to stand up to criminals and make it tough on them. And to make a move to do something proactive to protect the children in schools.

Schools are not like jails, and it is the fault of a few terribly bad actors that it has come to needing to do something to protect the children by deterring all we can. We cannot protect against everything. We know that; but the children deserve being protected as best we can.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
And a few of them may be completely innocent. There are also some innocent people in prisons. Does that mean we have to have a hotel atmosphere in jails and prisons. I don't think so.

We're soft on crime in this country. Prisons allow gangs to control; they allow attacks, riots, rapes and murders to occur; and the prisoners "demand" respect, or they attack the guards. So I'm glad to see one sheriff who is not afraid to stand up to criminals and make it tough on them. And to make a move to do something proactive to protect the children in schools.

Schools are not like jails, and it is the fault of a few terribly bad actors that it has come to needing to do something to protect the children by deterring all we can. We cannot protect against everything. We know that; but the children deserve being protected as best we can.
You're pretty naive if you think tent city is not full of drugs, dealers, gang activity and the like or that it is somehow "tougher" than Florence. The only "hotel" I know is the Scottsdale jail for DUI where one can pay a large amount of money to spend their sentence in a nice room with a comfy bed, TV and meals chosen from menus.

I won't fault Arpaio for getting his posse involved, though I do question the sincerity of his motive. I think it is a reasonably good idea. I also think it is a terrible situation here in the US where that kind of protection for Kindergartners is a reasonably good idea.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

I think the kids would say otherwise, heck I bet all of us thought our schools were jails and we were serving time...lol

So you believe half hasn't been convicted and half are there for minor crimes.....really.

So where do the drug dealers, murderers, rapists and such fit in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area