Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
What do I like about Phx? Hmm, well the fact that I just left Az to come home to Calif doesnt make the question easier to answer but after living there in Az for so long (12 years?), my answer would have to be that I pretty much knew my way around parts of Phx and of the surrounding towns.
Well, that's a lot. You went back to CA. Hmmm

I like Filibertos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,083,597 times
After you get chilled in the summer morning from the air conditioner and you go outside and sit in the sun. That feeling you get right as you warm.
I love that, I don't know if you get that feeling anywhere else, if so let me know.
Monsoons
Swimming in luke warm water
Malls

P.S. Im loving symbols today, hope you don't get too irritated. XD

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,235 times
I love the blue sky, the mild winters, and no rusting the paint on my car.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,501 times
I love golfing when Im in the Phoenix area, and checking out a few ladies and senoritas

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,114 times
Oooh. Finally a positive thread about Phoenix

The smell of desert earth and wet desert trees after the rain
Desert wildflowers in the spring
Monsoon storms (fat warm drops and beautiful lightning)
The pockets of real, creative art around town (I actually think it's nice to have to look for the gems)
Local music (also have to look for the gems)
The ability to attend big events if one wants to
Friendly people
Hiking in town
Short drive to either low or high desert camping
Old towns to explore nearby

And so on...

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,531 times
- wearing shorts year round
- going to the nursery to buy plants, in Jan.
- being on conference calls with co-workers back east where I complain about it being a chilly 65 and they are in day 3 of a blizzard
- Eating lunch on a patio in Jan.
- Stripping naked and jumping in a pool 6ft from my back door, day or night
- Finding a nice playmate to strip naked with and jump in the pool, day or night
- being a hour away from mile-high mountian towns with pine forests and lakes.
- being a couple of hours from stunning national monuments and desert scenery.
- being within a few hours drive of a beach in Mexico, San Diego, OC or LA. Ditching work on a friday to later roam the streets of Vegas or Bisbee. Or set up camp next to the Grand Canyon. An hour flight or less to Denver or New Mexico.
- Mexican food, fry bread, and an increasingly creative core of top chefs experimenting with restaurants in PHX.
- the fact that PHX is a melting pot of people from all over and they've brought with them a unique mix of things from home. NY Pizza, Philly sammies, Chicago dogs, Italian Gelato, Somali BBQ. Microbrews from all western states. We've got little bits of everything.
- Especially CA stuff. Trader Joes, In & Out, FatBurger, CarlsJr. Why go there? Ha ha.
- there's still a lot of opportunity for average people to buy homes, rent stores, build businesses, etc. In a lot of other cities, this has become the domain of the rich. We still have a lot of retail spaces that can be had for cheap, so it need not be all about hitting high returns.
- our economy is balanced. My parents in San Diego paid an ungodly sum for a bathroom renovation, but that's San Diego. We have a good spread of people willing to compete for work.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 AM

267 posts, read 885,650 times
I just recently left California to come to Arizona and I love it here! I lived here before a few years ago, but had to go back to California for personal reasons. I am back again, though, and couldn't be happier...and to an earlier poster....I think Arizona sunsets are better!

Some of the things I love about Arizona, Phoenix specifically:

The WARM nights. Especially this time of year. And in the summer I love it that I can go swimming at night and not be cold, ever!

The 'newness' of it all. I love how everything looks so clean and new. Yes, I know it's the desert and everything is built on dirt...still...it LOOKS clean and new.

The smooth roads. That goes with the whole clean and new deal.

Desert landscaping. Who doesn't like palm trees everywhere? Desert gardens are so nice, especially if you add a fountain or pool and some nice lighting...I love it!

A city that's big, but not TOO big. I come from L.A. and let me tell you, traffic here is NOTHING. I love it that there are a lot of people but you don't get lost in the crowd and smothered by other people.

The cost of living is great compared to California and other big cities around the country.

The growth. I love seeing this place grow and expand. Even from when I was here in 2003 so much has changed and grown. It's pretty cool to see it all happen.

The buildings and houses. I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVE stucco houses with the unique southwest roofs. I love the spanish influence. I love the colors.

Monsoons are so very cool!

That's all I can think of now at 1am, but I may add more later. I really do love this place. And that's coming from a girl who spent 99% of her life in Southern California.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
We have a Bass Pro Shop...
...and a Cabela's.

You can hit hit both of 'em in the same afternoon.

Did some "online" checking the other day...

The #1 tourist destination in Michigan?

Cabela's.

Go figure.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,417 times
Ahhhhh...What a nice positive thread! I love the monsoons and the rainbows. I love living near Carefree...such a sweet little town. I love being 1 mile away from the Tonto National Forest. I love the wild animals, especially the lizards and gila monsters. I love looking for agates and quartz and I've found some remarkable areas that are covered with good specimens. I love Sky Harbor Airport...very civilized. I love all the old REAL cowboys you still see at the Bashas' store in Carefree. I could go on and on.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiasthegreat View Post
Thats all you came up with? A good job....

Ill add another AJ's fine foods....wonderful place.

So now thats 2 things...

Are we seeing a pattern here...

You cant polish a turd.

I've seen a few bitterly negative posts from you about Phx. Could I ask why you live here if you think it is so horrid? I would never stay in a place I disliked as much as you seem to dislike Phx. I'm genuinely curious as to why you stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area