Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXJF View Post
Looking for pictures and history of the buildings on the north west corner of Garfield and Central ave. phoenix. Found posts about it was a apartment complex then a bus station, car dealership ?
There is no NW corner but there is a NE corner. It used to be a house, then Lincoln Mercury dealer; never a bus station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Is that the place that looks like an "adult" store nowadays? I vaguely remember a restaurant about there. Never went in. Seems like there used to be a Texaco just south at the intersection. But maybe my memory is faulty.
I recall that it was odd that the place sat way back off the street, never went in though. I did eat a lot at the pancake house across the street. There was a Ray Korte Rambler dealer nearby. I believe there were two gas stations, a Shell and a Texaco at Camelback and the Black Canyon, then a Jack in the Box, Taco Bell and Yates.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 AM

27 posts, read 85,170 times
[
Loved Legend City, Big Surf, Malibu Grand Pri and Crusing Central in my school days. Loved camping at all the eastern lakes in the middle years. Looking forward to making some new memories in the years to come.[/quote]

When YOU spoke or Legend City ~~I cracked up. Back in, Oh maybe 1960 ~~ Leslie Gore was to appear at "Legend City" in the middle of AUGUST We were there ~~ my school mates from Camelback ~~ Leslie came out and sang its "Judy's Turn To Cry" and with the sun beating down on us all and sweat pouring of her ~ she actually said ~~`"It's too ****ing hot ~ I gotta go". And walked off the stage. It was proabably 120 degrees outside ~~ we were actually glad to get the 'ef' ou of there too ~ Not a shade tree in sight. Just like when I visited the Civic Center and I thought I was gonna croak right there. Just these stage brushes spread around. Not exactly Central park where I live now in Manhattan.

Now I hear they have these ~~ mmm "trees" ~~ around the Civic Center Plaza ~ probably stage brush still (little or no shade type what so ever). Crazy Phoenix. Too effing hot in August. And NO TREES.

My Dad used to send us (the family) over to San Diego in August in the early 1950'before 'air conditioning" (yes I'am am that old -where did the time go?). And he would drive over over the weekend.

August ~~ was a killer in Phoenix.BTW ~ I am just sending through a photo of "A~! Pilsner" beer ~ Arizona's only beer that I knew of sold nationally only West of the Mississippi just like the old 'Levis Staruss'. Anyone remember this brew? Or the fact that hey did not have enough denim to sell to the East Coast. Sounds crazy but true.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-1-sign-prescott.jpg  

Old 05-17-2012, 06:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Don't actually remember ever eating at a Brookshire's, but somehow that picture makes me want to go in and have an open-face hot turkey sandwich and a cherry coke, and maybe coconut cream pie.

One of the bus benches in front has an ad for "Staggs Bilt Homes." That's a familiar name from the 60s, although I've forgotten what parts of town their developments were in.

Thinking of food reminds me of some other places I used to eat...

Gaslight on 7th Ave north of Thomas. A buddy and I would meet there for dinner on our way to a night class in about 1980.

El Gaucho Mexican food, I think on Hayden near the Salt River. Still remember a really tasty shredded beef taco.

Sunflower Sandwich shop, in a little building on 4th(?) St just west of Scottsdale Rd. Seems like they baked their own bread; good marble rye that was perfect for a roast beef sandwich with sliced tomato & avocado. It was run by a German couple; husband's name was something like Udo.
I'm sure there are other areas, but I know that Staggs built all those homes east of Scottsdale Rd, south of McDowell, over to at least Miller. Those date from the 50's. I had an aunt who lived in that neighborhood, in a Staggs home. Between them, Staggs and Hallcraft built a lot of the older part of Scottsdale.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,959 times
You are correct it is the north east corner.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

111 posts, read 339,091 times
I lived in the old Hoffman subdivision from 1950 to 1972, on Whitton Avenue between 8th and 11th Avenues, and just northwest of Osborn Road and 7th Avenue.
On the northwest corner of Osborn Road and 11th Avenue, there was a parcel approximately of three lots in size on which there was a veritable jungle, so thick that the old house in the middle could not be seen. It was a place of mystery to all and it was there long after 1972, although it is not there now.
I believe that it belonged to the person who owned the land on which Encanto and Clarendon schools were built, but I am not certain. Does anyone remember the jungle, or have information about the owners, or have advice concerning how to research the matter?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Don't actually remember ever eating at a Brookshire's, but somehow that picture makes me want to go in and have an open-face hot turkey sandwich and a cherry coke, and maybe coconut cream pie.

One of the bus benches in front has an ad for "Staggs Bilt Homes." That's a familiar name from the 60s, although I've forgotten what parts of town their developments were in.

Thinking of food reminds me of some other places I used to eat...

Gaslight on 7th Ave north of Thomas. A buddy and I would meet there for dinner on our way to a night class in about 1980.

El Gaucho Mexican food, I think on Hayden near the Salt River. Still remember a really tasty shredded beef taco.

Sunflower Sandwich shop, in a little building on 4th(?) St just west of Scottsdale Rd. Seems like they baked their own bread; good marble rye that was perfect for a roast beef sandwich with sliced tomato & avocado. It was run by a German couple; husband's name was something like Udo.
Was the Gaslight over behind Park Central? There was a restaurant there that served a "quarter head" salad...it was simply an ice cold quarter head of iceburg lettuce with a lovely blue cheese dressing on it...sweet and simple...it's still my favorite salad.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
It was on the south bound access road on Black Canyon just north of Camelback -sort of behind Lou Grubb Chevrolet. Very classy joint. I was still going there in the late 90's -a little like Durants with the diamond tuck booths and low lights. A great place to take a date and get a good steak.
Yes, that was it! A very unusual location but my guess is most of the business came via word of mouth. Excellent food, quiet atmosphere, great service. I enjoyed many dinners there in the early 70's. I think I lived over on Luke Avenue at that time...little two bedroom houses and I was about 4 houses from the access road so Treulich's was almost 'in my neighborhood'.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Is that the place that looks like an "adult" store nowadays? I vaguely remember a restaurant about there. Never went in. Seems like there used to be a Texaco just south at the intersection. But maybe my memory is faulty.
When I was headed down the freeway while visiting a couple of years ago that entire area looked pretty worn out.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I recall that it was odd that the place sat way back off the street, never went in though. I did eat a lot at the pancake house across the street. There was a Ray Korte Rambler dealer nearby. I believe there were two gas stations, a Shell and a Texaco at Camelback and the Black Canyon, then a Jack in the Box, Taco Bell and Yates.
I'm confused now...you aren't still talking about Treulich's right? Because there is no across the street from there, you'd be on the freeway. I must have missed a post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area