Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 AM

218 posts, read 571,025 times

Advertisements

During that flood I was Operations Supervisor at the City of Phoenix Wastewater Facility (sewage plant) at 91st Ave & the Salt River. It was (is) a huge facility. We had to do a lot of emergency actions to prevent damage to the facility. The main problem was the water level in the river was so high the highly treated wastewater could not flow into the normally dry Salt River. At that time we were treating about 90 million gallons per day of wastewater. The threat to plant flooding peaked at about 2AM or 3AM. We had several inches of freeboard to spare but some equipment basements did begin to flood so we used portable pumps to save the equipment. There were no major losses or damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,261,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Can someone tell me what this Gazette belt buckle merit award is for? Also, this is the first one I have seen with the stars mounted on the banner; what are they for? The back of the buckle has five pre-drilled holes, not all the way through, for mounting the brass stars.
Not sure. But when I was a paperboy way back they were always pushing sales. We had weekly meetings in addition to delivering the paper. The meeting usually consisted of a sales pep talk then we would go door to door. Sometimes in our own route, sometimes in other neighborhoods.

We weren't paid for this time. So they would add incentives like trinkets and other schwag. I was never a good salesman. In the beginning I always fell for the pep talk but rarely got any sales. It was the same for most of the other kids. I did earn a pair of wire cutters once.

I only vaguely remember seeing those buckles. Not sure how they were earned. Never got one.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM

439 posts, read 522,849 times
I left Phx in 1992 and it was beautiful already, so I think it must be a super gorgeous city now.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM

214 posts, read 647,956 times
I still wonder why we don't have flooding of the Salt river anymore. We had record rainfall last year and no mentions of river flooding.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 AM

218 posts, read 571,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I still wonder why we don't have flooding of the Salt river anymore. We had record rainfall last year and no mentions of river flooding.
There is local flooding in small areas as we have seen lately due to intense and sudden rainfall amounts in our Salt River Valley. There is also, the sometimes, catastrophic flooding caused by water releases from the dam system serving our water and energy needs. We usually do not notice the efficient job our dam system does. The weather is not always predictable and that can cause us all problems.

The major floods such as a 100 year flood have been caused by large amounts of precipitation on the watershed areas, the higher elevations and mountains to the North and Northeast. It takes a lot of snow and sometimes circumstances cause that snow to rapidly melt. A large accumulation of snow can melt too quickly by a heavy, warm rainfall event or much warmer than usual temperatures to help melting along. A slow snow melt of huge proportions might fill the reservoirs and even result in a controlled release of water into the Salt River channel into Phoenix without major flooding. Mainly roadway crossings, without bridges, across the Salt River channel suffer and it is a great inconvenience.

The volumes of water stored behind the Salt River Project dams is another key factor. If the reservoirs (dam created lakes) are low they have the capacity to store incredible volumes of water which is beneficial for us all. If the reservoirs are "too full" to hold a sudden snow melt it is necessary to release those volumes of water into the "normally" dry Salt River Channel. The releases are carefully controlled to minimize flooding and damage to downstream areas such as Tempe and Phoenix. Sometimes these releases are very huge resulting in large flows into the Valley.

It's a balancing task. Maintaining a minimal reservoir level to handle large snow/rain runoff would lessen the chances of flooding. It would also put our area at risk to suffer terrible water shortages with all the things that come with that. Careful planning and attention is done constantly to ensure a adequate supply of water and energy to our area while also providing flood control.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
There is local flooding in small areas as we have seen lately due to intense and sudden rainfall amounts in our Salt River Valley. There is also, the sometimes, catastrophic flooding caused by water releases from the dam system serving our water and energy needs. We usually do not notice the efficient job our dam system does. The weather is not always predictable and that can cause us all problems.

The major floods such as a 100 year flood have been caused by large amounts of precipitation on the watershed areas, the higher elevations and mountains to the North and Northeast. It takes a lot of snow and sometimes circumstances cause that snow to rapidly melt. A large accumulation of snow can melt too quickly by a heavy, warm rainfall event or much warmer than usual temperatures to help melting along. A slow snow melt of huge proportions might fill the reservoirs and even result in a controlled release of water into the Salt River channel into Phoenix without major flooding. Mainly roadway crossings, without bridges, across the Salt River channel suffer and it is a great inconvenience.

The volumes of water stored behind the Salt River Project dams is another key factor. If the reservoirs (dam created lakes) are low they have the capacity to store incredible volumes of water which is beneficial for us all. If the reservoirs are "too full" to hold a sudden snow melt it is necessary to release those volumes of water into the "normally" dry Salt River Channel. The releases are carefully controlled to minimize flooding and damage to downstream areas such as Tempe and Phoenix. Sometimes these releases are very huge resulting in large flows into the Valley.

It's a balancing task. Maintaining a minimal reservoir level to handle large snow/rain runoff would lessen the chances of flooding. It would also put our area at risk to suffer terrible water shortages with all the things that come with that. Careful planning and attention is done constantly to ensure a adequate supply of water and energy to our area while also providing flood control.
Exactly. Thanks for the great explanation. I don't miss the floods, but I know we need the snowpack that we haven't had in recent years.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 26,598 times
WOW! Soooo many memories. Here's a couple of mine. Growing up in Ajo (DON'T LAUGH) in the 60s and 70s, my family would make trips to Phoenix to shop. We would stay at a motel I think was called Desert Sky at 36th Street and Van Buren.....holy frick! I wouldn't dream of having my family stay in that area now. And, every time I hear the song "Ebony Eyes" by Bob Welch, it brings back a vivid memory of one trip when I was about 14 years old. We were staying at what is now the Clarendon hotel. I got up early and no one in my family was ready for breakfast, so I ventured by myself over to the McDonalds at Central and Weldon. When I got there, that song was playing on the radio. Now for all you "city slickers" and, having lived in Tempe for 30+ years now I am one now to, that might not seem to be such a memorable experience, but for a kid from Ajo to go to Micky D's by himself.......well, obviously it has left a lasting impression on me. :-).

Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 PM

12 posts, read 26,598 times
Yup! It was the Desert Sky.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
There is a Rodeway Inn at that address now, described in a recent Yelp review as a "super sketchy ghetto motel".

Old 02-20-2015, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 105,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotashell View Post
anyone have any pictures of maryvale mall? besides the ones that have been seen?
thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area