Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is an odd laundromat I guess from the 60's located about 6800 South Central. I wonder if the building was originally a drive in restaurant. I used to like this type of laundry, you dropped off your clothes and they washed and folded them for a very nominal price compared to a regular laundry.
Attachment 83079
lol before I even looked at the photo I knew it would be the Corral...yes, it was a fluff-n-fold...I used to do my laundry there when I first moved out on my own. It was the Corral for as long as I remember it which would have been about '61 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes, it was a drive in restaurant. I remember it from when I was a kid and my aunt would take me there for a hamburger. My doctor's office was near there too and my grandmother would get me a Coke after a visit...if I was a "good girl".
Was your MD Dr. Joe Delozier? He was the only MD in south Phoenix** in the very early 60's...then Dr. Joe Sabodka (sp) came in around '66. Are you talking about pre-'60's or way after that?

**I'm referring to south Phoenix below Baseline Avenue. I think his office was just below Baseline on the east side of Central...could be mistaken on the exact location.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
I found on Earth Google the cluster of stores that were available to residents in that area in the 50's and 60's. It used to be a grocery store, dime store and drug store. Next to the drug store, on the SE corner of 16th street and Roosevelt was a gas station. Right now it has a lot of little shops, a Family Food store and where the grocery store was there is a Wash and Dry Laundry place.
There was a gas station Wayne's Texaco on southwest corner and Circle K on the northeast corner in 1969. Buzan's Richfield was on the southeast corner.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 PM

47 posts, read 152,125 times
I found this pictue online and wonder if this is Montgomery Stadium of Phoenix Union High School. I attended there in the early 60's. I also remember having Christmas parties I think that were sponsored by the JC's. I think there is a Jr. High school there from the Phoenix elementary school District.I got this picture on a web site that speaks of PU Colored high school which was renamed Carver High school, which now is a museum. If this is from the Carver school than I think that they built it in the same image as the one for PUHS as it sure looks famliar. http://www.yelp.com/biz/george-washi...center-phoenix

Last edited by SuzanneDeAz; 08-01-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Was your MD Dr. Joe Delozier? He was the only MD in south Phoenix** in the very early 60's...then Dr. Joe Sabodka (sp) came in around '66. Are you talking about pre-'60's or way after that?

**I'm referring to south Phoenix below Baseline Avenue. I think his office was just below Baseline on the east side of Central...could be mistaken on the exact location.
I don't remember my doctors name. It was 1950-51 when I lived with my grandparents for a year. I was 8. His office was north of Baseline right near the Corral Drive In.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't remember my doctors name. It was 1950-51 when I lived with my grandparents for a year. I was 8. His office was north of Baseline right near the Corral Drive In.
I moved to south Phoenix in '61 so I'm not sure. He could've been in practice then but he would've been awfully young.

It looks like the Corral Drive-In of the '50's was a laundromat by the '60's. What an odd change but now the odd configuration makes sense.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	stadium2_wm.jpg
Views:	4837
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	83153Montgomery Stadium was huge, it had 4 stories of classrooms and was longer than the football field.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 83153Montgomery Stadium was huge, it had 4 stories of classrooms and was longer than the football field.
Thanks, after I posted that I read somewhere that it held up to 23,000 people so I knew it was not the same one. It just looked so much like the way I remembered it, however it is much larger. Do you know if it is still there?

I also read that it was used by ASU for their games so it had to be larger. I guess they were similar being they were built about the same time for the same school district.

I found a very nice web site of PU. Home Page

I think that is why I loved East High so much as when I attended PU for two years all I did was run run run between classes. It was not uncommon to have a class on a 3rd floor in one building and the next class was on a second floor or across the bridge. One had only 5 minutes between classes. Often your locker would be in a building where you had only one class so you often did not have time to go to your locker between classes but had to carry your books with you. I had to walk back and forth to school and run all day which kept me slim but tired

Last edited by observer53; 08-02-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: reference to broken link

Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
No, Montgomery Stadium is LONG gone. I don't know what the problem is with the link you posted, so I edited it out. See if you can post just the link, without any changes in the font, etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Home Page

hope this works

if not try this:

Home Page

http://phoenixunioncoyotes.com/Home_Page.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area