Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,346 times

Advertisements

Here is another, 4610 N. Scottsdale Road. I still can't place the mountain though. No pollution I guess.

I can't believe that you guys don't know this. It is the Southeast view of the West headed camel - Camelback Mountain. This AJ Bayless stood where the Fashion Square parking garage now stands, just north of the West's Most (mid)Western Town, downtown Scottsdale old town. I have been reading your entire forum for months; it took me three to catch up. I really appreciate all of your commentary. Thank you for all of your memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,346 times
OH! OH! I know this...I feel like the kid in class who finally got to answer a question; this view is close to where Dan Harkins, Dwight's son, had a house in the seventies.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM

285 posts, read 905,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
That's it. There is a Cox Bakery at the far left.

Here is another, 4610 N. Scottsdale Road. I still can't place the mountain though. No pollution I guess.

Attachment 115073
Fashion Square before Fashion Square became what it is now (obviously..duh ).
A Ryan Evans should be next door (to the left of Bayless, did it come later?) but the liquor store is there (far right of pic).
That would be Camelback mountain behind it. From the looks, the pic was taken with a telephoto lens, hence, the pic looks compressed a bit.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Long Grad View Post
I can't believe that you guys don't know this. It is the Southeast view of the West headed camel - Camelback Mountain.

Roosevelt was kidding, obviously, that he couldn't place Camelback in that picture!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I don't recall any Bayless stores in Tucson either time I was stationed there, the first time was 1983. They closed in the early or mid 80s?
hey Sabercat....

there was a Bayless on the NE corner of Campbell and Glenn in Campbell Plaza until they closed - they all may've closed in the later 80s???....Albertson's is now in the Campbell location

may have been other Tucson locations, but don't know.....

we now return you to your regularly scheduled Phoenix forum

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM

24,315 posts, read 13,167,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
hey Sabercat....

there was a Bayless on the NE corner of Campbell and Glenn in Campbell Plaza until they closed - they all may've closed in the later 80s???....Albertson's is now in the Campbell location

may have been other Tucson locations, but don't know.....

we now return you to your regularly scheduled Phoenix forum
When I first moved to Tucson (1989) I was at Columbus and Fort Lowell. I remember the market at Campbell and Glenn but it wasn't Bayless then. (Wasn't a Mama Louisa's there also? Oops, wrong forum.)

My grandmother would only go to the Bayless at Fashion Square, she thought the Basha's at Indian School and Scottsdale was too big and they didn't issue Gold Bond stamps like Bayless.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
When I first moved to Tucson (1989) I was at Columbus and Fort Lowell. I remember the market at Campbell and Glenn but it wasn't Bayless then. (Wasn't a Mama Louisa's there also? Oops, wrong forum.)

My grandmother would only go to the Bayless at Fashion Square, she thought the Basha's at Indian School and Scottsdale was too big and they didn't issue Gold Bond stamps like Bayless.

When we lived in Scottsdale, my mom shopped at both stores, I think; Bashas was near where she worked at Loloma School, and Bayless was closer to the house. We moved to Scottsdale from the Arcadia area. In Arcadia, she drove to a Bayless at 56th and Thomas, or brought stuff home from Bashas after work.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:

yes, a Mama Louisa's was in that area in a building out in the parking lot (it also closed later).....the Bayless must've closed by when you arrived....the store stood empty for a long while before Alberstson's moved into the old Bayless....

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erindavis View Post
I was at Patterdell/Good Shepherd in the mid-70's. It was for juvenile girls - basically the last stop/last chance before the prison.

I remember Sister Rose fondly - short, squat, perpetually happy and joking. She was awesome. I remember making bread for the whole cottage for the week every Sunday, and Mr. Perez who was a great teacher. We wore these horrible, super thick polyester orange pantsuit uniforms ... lol. I gave a "valedictorian" address when I graduated high school there (graduating seniors = 3). I also remember "Family Living" classes where we'd learn how to live a "moral life" and also the rating system and pink slips and blue slips for behavior. Overall, I think the set up worked pretty well - lots of structure and positive influences. And the nuns were pretty cool.

Hello Erin!

I, too, was one of those girls that went to Patterdell in Phoenix, AZ off of Northern Blvd and 19th. It is no more now. I went and research it and it is a strip mall now and all the palm trees are gone. I believe I was there sometime between 1974-1975 or 1976. I graduated later out of Glendale GED in 1978 after doing my senior year at Glendale HS.

I remember Mr. Perez as being my favorite teacher if he was the one I recalled that taught Spanish. I liked one of the nuns there a lot, just couldn't recall her name..she was funny! My name there was Balzer, not a name to forget easily. I made friends with some of the Pima and Apache girls there, a Patty (very short) and a Debbie.

Thank you all for posting photos. Those huge palm trees are all gone now :-(

Old 07-25-2013, 12:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,629,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTuck View Post
Hello Erin!

I, too, was one of those girls that went to Patterdell in Phoenix, AZ off of Northern Blvd and 19th. It is no more now. I went and research it and it is a strip mall now and all the palm trees are gone. I believe I was there sometime between 1974-1975 or 1976. I graduated later out of Glendale GED in 1978 after doing my senior year at Glendale HS.

I remember Mr. Perez as being my favorite teacher if he was the one I recalled that taught Spanish. I liked one of the nuns there a lot, just couldn't recall her name..she was funny! My name there was Balzer, not a name to forget easily. I made friends with some of the Pima and Apache girls there, a Patty (very short) and a Debbie.

Thank you all for posting photos. Those huge palm trees are all gone now :-(
Even more of a mess is the Light Rail construction going on. A lot of homeless people hang out in the patio between Starbuck's and Einstein's. The old building with the chapel upstairs is still there. The second floor was never rented out; I thought because an elevator would have to be put in but heard the floor was not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area