Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
All true. Pima may have used a Kachina, too, but I don't remember.
The Hopi's complained about people using the Kachina, especially Jim Beam bottles. Bob's Big Boy on Central and Thomas had a huge Kachina 'sand painting' above their entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 PM

111 posts, read 339,031 times
Default Papago Park area POW

The posts on the POW camp in the Papago Park area brought back memories you may be interested in.

I attended St. Gregory's Elementary school near 19th Avenue and Osborn Road. I began first grade in 1950 and graduated eighth grade in 1959. It was the elementary school of St. Gregory's Catholic Church. This is the story:

The first Sunday gathering place of the church was the Mineralogical Museum at the State Fairgrounds. The State Fair began, so they had to move to the second gathering place, which was the main chapel of the downtown Whitney and Murphy Funeral Home. Now, it gets interesting...

Father Gordon, the pastor, heard about surplus barracks from the POW camp and that they were available, so he purchased, or acquired, one somehow. I believe it was loaded on a truck(s) and driven into Phoenix to the property at 19th and Osborn.
I suppose it had been collapsed.

That barracks building became the "third church." We also used it weekdays as our cafeteria. Later, when we had our "regular" church and cafeteria buildings, we used the barracks for a classroom. I attended fifth and sixth grade in that building and I liked it, because the "barracks," as we affectionately called it, had the best evaporative coolers and had that
"lived in" feeling. Sometimes an overzealous young scholar would punch his
academic fist in enthusiasm right through the inner wall of the edifice.

They sure built them in those days. Thanks for the memories.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,916 times
Default Sunnyslope

Does anyone have any old images of "S' mountain and the surrounding area in Sunnyslope - circa 1970? If so could you post a few?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM

283 posts, read 881,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
didn't The Arizona Bank have the kachina mascot?....I think there is still a bank building on Scottsdale Road around Lincoln or McDonald that was an Arizona Bank back then, now another bank, but the classic kachina remains in stained glass in front

Pima Savings, mostly based in Tucson, was a victim of the S and L scandals of the late 1980s, though I don't think they were really a victim....just another S and L that got greedy.....

remember Western Savings and its trademark architecture?....many of those distinctive buildings remain in the state.....the old Driggs family of Arizona ran Western and also got a bit cocky and greedy, I think....
The Arizona Bank did have the Kachina mascot before they were acquired by Security Pacific Bank and later by Bank of America. I have used them for over 30 years and use the Stockyards branch office. On the back wall behind the tellers is a massive quilt, framed and under glass that has dozens of small kachinas sewn into it. It is a holdover of the Arizona Bank days and has been hanging there as long as I can remember.

Also, in this same branch are several old aerial photos of the stockyards and Tovrea's castle back when they were the only thing on east Washington street. The bank manager noticed I was giving these a severe checking out and when he found out I was an Arizona native, he took me upstairs to a small unused office that was crammed full of similar old photos and let me take my time looking at them. That was back in the day when banks valued their customers. I often think about asking if they are still there and would they let me take my camera and take pictures of them. I doubt they'd consider letting them leave the premises for copying.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM

155 posts, read 478,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The Hopi's complained about people using the Kachina, especially Jim Beam bottles. Bob's Big Boy on Central and Thomas had a huge Kachina 'sand painting' above their entrance.
And we all loved the Kachina Theatre on Scottsdale Road. Nice place with elegance and really made a statement.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Does anyone have any old images of "S' mountain and the surrounding area in Sunnyslope - circa 1970? If so could you post a few?
I have a few but they are copyrighted. Try the ASU special materials index.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM

283 posts, read 881,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Did you know that Sunnyslope has it's own historical society and museum?

Sunnyslope History

Last edited by desertratz; 10-21-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,916 times
Default Rock Concerts from The early 1970's

Thanks for the info guys.

I was compiling a list of all the concerts I went to back in high school and beyond and Im having a little trouble remembering some of the acts / supporting acts/venues and dates. I cant imagine why I cant remember...its all a smoky haze.

Anyway - maybe some of you can dig out those old ticket stubs you saved and share with us some of the concerts you went to, say between 1965 and 1985?

I'll get us started:
Led Zeppelin 4/18/70 Veterans Memorial Col.
Allman Bros 9/23/73 Feyline Field?
Frank Zappa 4/7/1973 Celebrity Theater
Kiss 8/17/76 Tempe Diablo Stadium

I wasn't at this one but here's a shot of Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker (Cream) performing at the Travel Lodge ( Celebrity) Theater on 3/17/68.

Were you there?

Please help Willie- my memory is a memory.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-clapton.jpg  

Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I don't have the ticket stub any more, I don't think, but my "claim to fame" in that regard is seeing Elton John at BIG SURF (no, I am not making this up) in 1973. $5.00 a ticket.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:07 AM

I saw Gordon Lightfoot at the Star Theater about 1973. He must have been using a pickup band because I could read his lips and he was cussing them out to play better. Saw the Righteous Brothers at the Coliseum. Missed the Rolling Stones back in the 60's. I remember a lot of commotion in the newspaper when they arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area