Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 12,144 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Phoenix in November to start a great new job.
I'm unfamiliar with the area, have been looking for apts on craigslist,
and am most interested in places in some of the historic districts.
In addition to checking out places through owner/landlords, I'd like
to use a rental agency or two to broaden my search when I visit
there in a few weeks.

Has anyone had a uniquely positive experience using any particular
rental agency or broker? My past experience here in Chicago has been
that I worked with 4 or 5 before I finally found a great agent who
actually listened to my expressed preferences and found me great places
within my parameters. Since my upcoming visit is only for a few days,
I'd like to cut to the chase this time and find someone great right away.

I'm not interested in hearing from brokers themselves, or representatives
of rental agencies - only from people who have used these services and are
unaffiliated with them. I'm sure you and your company are fabulous, but
I'm interested only in hearing from neutral third parties.

THANKS!

Last edited by Gee2TheK; 09-30-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Just an FYI on this, and not sure how they do things in Chicago - but some perspective as a landlord in Phoenix- on the last $1000/mo house I leased out, I paid a $400 fee to the broker who found me a tenant, and the tenant's agent actually received some portion of that. While it is possible for the tenant to compensate their broker themselves as well, I don't believe that is very common in Phoenix - so there isn't much money in it for the agent who is looking for apartments for you - I wouldn't expect "white glove" service from an apartment locator here unless you're adding compensation to the pot yourself. I know many buyers & tenants don't like to feel "pressured" to sign a contract right now, but the business model for apartment locating pretty much guarantees that is what you'll experience. Narrow down your list to a half-dozen units to visit with the web & MLS, visit a few, and sign an app that evening. Nobody who plans to stay in business very long is going to spend much time on a single potential customer. If they think you're working with another broker, or not ready to sign promptly, experienced agents won't want anything to do with you.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Thanks! This is interesting. Here there are many services competing for every potential tenant, with agents receiving fees from the landlord as you describe, not anything from the tenant. The fees may be greater here (in my case my agent got the equivalent of 1 month's rent) but I'd think $400 for 3-4 hours worth of effort would be plenty of incentive? I guess not enough.

I'm new to this remote apartment search deal, having lived in Chi my whole life, moving within the city numerous times. Craigslist listings here have been almost completely taken over by rental agencies, who pressure owner/landlords to use their services. They scan for private listings then pursue property owners relentlessly until they give in and sign on with the agency. I appreciate your insights and will check out the MLS site as well. Haven't tried them yet. Thanks for all your input and this tip!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
Not looking for your business, as I don't do rentals in "historic" districts, so this is just a few kind cents from a Designated Broker of a company that represents tenants as well as lists and manages rental properties as a large part of what our company does:

Please find an agent you like and stick with them. As Zippyman said, rental agents aren't likely to spend a lot of time on you if you are shopping around with different agents. This adds a potential liability to them, the listing agent, the seller, and yourself if there are "procuring cause" issues. Also, the compensation offered by listers often is barely enough to pay gas, let alone broker splits, E&O insurance, lockbox fees, MLS fees, etc. There may be a LOT more than four hours of the agent's time if the agent is representing you right. It is becoming more and more common in the Phoenix area to have you sign an Exclusive Buyer Broker agreement, so the agent knows that not only will they get paid, but you will also be faithful to them as they are applying their time and faith and expenses on you. The agreement may have you agreeing to compensate them if the Lister doesn't offer as much as they are willing to work for.

I'm not sure how the "Apartment Locator" model works, but in my long ago past experience as a renter, I found them to not only be high pressure, but they would only show the apartments that would pay them the best.

I highly recommend you spend at least a week in Phoenix and getting to know the neighborhoods in which you think you'll be interested in, before setting your sites on any particular home. As an agent myself, I'd be a lot more comfortable working for a client and will be best able to assist them if I can be sure they really know what they are looking for.

Best of luck with your move to Phoenix!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks for your insights as someone in the business. I appreciate your taking the time to address my question so thoroughly! Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of spending so much time on my search, which is why I'm interested in establishing a relationship with an agent ahead of my visit, so I can tell them what features I'm interested in before I arrive in October, and line up viewings ahead of time. I can only spend 3 or 4 days on the ground in Phoenix performing this search, and start my job in mid-November.

I do have some fairly specific criteria (2+ bedrooms, wood or tile floors, a minimum of wall to wall carpet, preferably pre-1950 construction, 1000+ sq ft, gas as opposed to electric cooking, single family stand-alone or top floor if a multiple floor unit, walking/biking distance to shopping, restaurants, other amenities) which will pretty much narrow any search an agent makes on my behalf. Taking your point to heart about establishing a relationship with one agent, I think this may be the way to go. Does your company offer services to people looking in "historic" districts? I'm also curious as to your use of quotes around the word "historic". Has this become an abused/overused euphemism for certain types of properties?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
Sorry if I added any confusion with the quotation marks. My company doesn't typically deal with homes that old, as they are not in our geographical area - Phoenix wasn't really all that big when the old homes were built, unlike most other large cities, so most of those neighborhoods would be closer to the city center. Most of the renters we work with are looking for newer homes, in suburban areas. We do take listings or buyers in the central areas, but not renters, as the compensation is not commensurate with the extra travel time and gas money.

It is indeed a good idea to set up a rapport with an agent now, they should be able to set you up with an MLS Portal that you can keep watch on prior to moving here. The best rentals don't tend to sit on the market for all that long, so it's a good idea not to spend too much time hoping for one in particular until right before you can view it. But having the portal can help you help the agent narrow down what your favorite home criteria is and have a realistic price range. To make your agent know you're serious, you might want to offer your proof of funds and credit report up front, as they should be going at bat for you to show the landlord you are a good candidate for a renter.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee2TheK View Post
I do have some fairly specific criteria (2+ bedrooms, wood or tile floors, a minimum of wall to wall carpet, preferably pre-1950 construction, 1000+ sq ft, gas as opposed to electric cooking, single family stand-alone or top floor if a multiple floor unit, walking/biking distance to shopping, restaurants, other amenities) which will pretty much narrow any search an agent makes on my behalf. Taking your point to heart about establishing a relationship with one agent, I think this may be the way to go. Does your company offer services to people looking in "historic" districts? I'm also curious as to your use of quotes around the word "historic". Has this become an abused/overused euphemism for certain types of properties?
You've received solid advice thus far.

What's your price point? Your requirements will not be inexpensive, nor will they all necessarily be available. In addition, Phoenix is very car-centric, so walkability is not at all similar to Chicago.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all your very helpful input, everyone! I've been away dealing with some of the many factors of this move. The timing on this has now changed - my company is now flying me out on Monday for the week to meet/greet and train, so I'll definitely have more time to get a feel for Phoenix. I'm still starting work Nov 13, moving the week of the 4th. I've contacted a few people representing 3 or 4 of my favorites online with an eye toward initial discussions and rapidly narrowing the field to one representative. Kimballette - I'm looking for something under $1k a month, which I am finding, just a matter of sifting through a lot of places that aren't quite right to find the few that look like good fits. One area I'm beginning to relax on criteria-wise is the pre-1950 thing. And if I want to bike, there are a lot of trail options available!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
You've received solid advice thus far.

What's your price point? Your requirements will not be inexpensive, nor will they all necessarily be available. In addition, Phoenix is very car-centric, so walkability is not at all similar to Chicago.
This is probably the most important post for you in this entire thread. All the posters gave you some great information, but the reality is that what you are looking for (especially in terms of walkability) isn't going to be easy or cheap. And $1,000/month is NOT going to do it.

You'll likely find better suited accommodations in a location that will suit you if you look at apartments. I know that's not what you want to hear, but you'll understand when you spend a little time in Phoenix. It's just not a city like Chicago is a city. Think of Phoenix as similar to Arlington Heights.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Once I'm in the city I'll have a much better sense of what's what and what's where. In the meantime I am finding some promising looking single family homes in my price range and have come to embrace the beauty of tiled floors throughout. Thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area