Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 29,547 times

Advertisements

SlowHeavyGroove, most of those activities you mentioned can be found in just about any small or medium-size city across the United States!! About the only exception would be Professional Sports, Phoenix is very sports heavy but the problem is Phoenix being so transplant heavy, many people who attend the games end up rooting for the opposing teams, especially if it's their Home Team!!

[off topic]

The big Event here in the last month was the Arizona State Fair, wow-wee!! It's a big hype every year because Phoenix has no full-fledged permanent attractions like theme parks!! You can go to just about any small Midwestern city and find about the same kind of excitement and flair as you do here!!

To prove how boring Phoenix can be, just look at where many Phoenix-area residents like to go for some fun and excitement, usually it's L.A. or Vegas!! Those places get all the hype and flair and Phoenix is left with very little in comparison!!

Phoenix is just not for me, [off topic] not much of a true big city experience here that I expected!!

Last edited by observer53; 11-06-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Default You realize Phoenix is somewhat boring when guests come to town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter015 View Post
SlowHeavyGroove, most of those activities you mentioned can be found in just about any small or medium-size city across the United States!! About the only exception would be Professional Sports, Phoenix is very sports heavy but the problem is Phoenix being so transplant heavy, many people who attend the games end up rooting for the opposing teams, especially if it's their Home Team!!

The big Event here in the last month was the Arizona State Fair, wow-wee!! It's a big hype every year because Phoenix has no full-fledged permanent attractions like theme parks!! You can go to just about any small Midwestern city and find about the same kind of excitement and flair as you do here!!

To prove how boring Phoenix can be, just look at where many Phoenix-area residents like to go for some fun and excitement, usually it's L.A. or Vegas!! Those places get all the hype and flair and Phoenix is left with very little in comparison!!

Phoenix is just not for me, (off topic) , not much of a true big city experience here that I expected!!
We get that Phoenix is not for you. You've gone on and on about it in other threads. I hope you are working on yet another transfer, and are doing your research this time. You clearly did no research before you came, or you would have known what to expect. But, you are not going to make your points any better by ending every sentence with exclamation points. And, your "disappointed in Phoenix rant" is not on topic for every thread.

In case that transfer doesn't come through so fast, I'd suggest you make the best of your time here and stop focusing so much on what you are disappointed in about the choice you made to move here.

Back to topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by observer53; 11-06-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 06:12 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,283 times
Quote:

[off topic]

Phoenix is just not for me, [off topic] not much of a true big city experience here that I expected!!
You sound like some macho outdoorsy type. How about hiking ? Going to a shooting range ? Can't carry a handgun in Blue States with "tradition" like NY and CA. AZ is about as Libertarian "live and let live" state in this country and I love that ! Favorable state income and property taxes compared to many other major areas as well. Oh wait. Kayak in the SRP Lakes near Tortilla Flat ? You can get 4 seasons within two hours by going to Payson, Prescott and beyond. Enjoy Mexican culture ? Nogales is a safe border town 2 1/2 hours south and enjoy a meal at La Roca. Lastly, everyone goes to LA and Vegas ? I personally prefer San Diego and Puerto Penasco myself for beach access and entertainment.

Is Phoenix kind of a soulless immature city ?Yes. However, that is the least important thing to me . I enjoy the outdoors, not shoveling snow, good taxes and having access to this country's most beautiful scenery within a days drive. Go live in Seattle or Philly and let us know how you enjoy a "deep culture".

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 AM

487 posts, read 749,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You sound like some macho outdoorsy type. How about hiking ? Going to a shooting range ? Can't carry a handgun in Blue States with "tradition" like NY and CA. AZ is about as Libertarian "live and let live" state in this country and I love that ! Favorable state income and property taxes compared to many other major areas as well. Oh wait. Kayak in the SRP Lakes near Tortilla Flat ? You can get 4 seasons within two hours by going to Payson, Prescott and beyond. Enjoy Mexican culture ? Nogales is a safe border town 2 1/2 hours south and enjoy a meal at La Roca. Lastly, everyone goes to LA and Vegas ? I personally prefer San Diego and Puerto Penasco myself for beach access and entertainment.

Is Phoenix kind of a soulless immature city ?Yes. However, that is the least important thing to me . I enjoy the outdoors, not shoveling snow, good taxes and having access to this country's most beautiful scenery within a days drive. Go live in Seattle or Philly and let us know how you enjoy a "deep culture".
This guy wants Disney Desert, and I don't think he'll be happy until they build it.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 29,547 times
magnum0417, the items on your list I enjoy most about life here are in your last Paragraph, the great weather, no snow, low taxes, and the scenery!!

Aside from that I don't care a whole lot about outdoorsy stuff, and why does all that outdoor recreation make Phoenix as a city so special?!! The sixth largest city should be more fast-paced, diverse, cultured, and exciting in more ways than it currently is!!

Those are the sorts of things I'm looking for in a big city, not hiking, kayaking, or shooting!! There's nothing wrong with those things if that's what you're into but those things are what a person does in Rural areas outside of Phoenix!!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,283 times
Quote:
magnum0417, the items on your list I enjoy most about life here are in your last Paragraph, the great weather, no snow, low taxes, and the scenery!!

Aside from that I don't care a whole lot about outdoorsy stuff, and why does all that outdoor recreation make Phoenix as a city so special?!! The sixth largest city should be more fast-paced, diverse, cultured, and exciting in more ways than it currently is!!

Those are the sorts of things I'm looking for in a big city, not hiking, kayaking, or shooting!! There's nothing wrong with those things if that's what you're into but those things are what a person does in Rural areas outside of Phoenix!!
I'm not disagreeing that Phoenix the city itself doesn't have all the cultural amenities of other major more established cities like NYC,LA,Chicago and Philly. However, most who lived that life as I did in NY for all but the last two years, we wanted a change. Phoenix is NOT an international city and I like it that way. Traffic is congested enough without adding more and more malcontents. Those most happy here are those who came from higher taxed states in cold climates. Midwesterners and Northeasterners who come here voluntarily are most appreciative IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Quote:

Phoenix is more cultured. Your problem is our culture doesn't meet your definition of culture. Que sera.

More diverse? Not sure what you mean by Phoenix should be more diverse. We seem pretty diverse to me.

Fast-paced isn't part of our culture. Although I think we are fast paced enough. To each their own.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,891 times
Quote:

Rural areas....really??

I can go for a hike on the miles of trails on South MT or Camelback. Then stop at Tempe Town Lake and rent a kayak or bring my own. After that stop off at C2 tactical, an indoor gun range. All of which are done within city limits and within just a few miles of each other. Just this past weekend I did these while my wife attended the ballet with her mom.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
I think his point was that those activities are things people should expect and do outside of Phoenix, not within the city. As in, why are people bragging about doing rural activities in the city...those activities should take place in rural areas, not in the city.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,877 times
"I think his point was that those activities are things people should expect and do outside of Phoenix, not within the city. As in, why are people bragging about doing rural activities in the city...those activities should take place in rural areas, not in the city."

We brag about being able to do rural activities in the city... because we CAN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area