Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,817 times

Advertisements

Well in 2008, Mesa Chandler and Gilbert (the entire east valley, yikes haha) were on Forbes list of most boring cities in the United States- Mesa was #1 and all three scored in the top 10!

Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert boring cities? - East Valley Local News - EVTNow

Last edited by observer53; 10-18-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: photo copyright issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
Well in 2008, Mesa Chandler and Gilbert (the entire east valley, yikes haha) were on Forbes list of most boring cities in the United States- Mesa was #1 and all three scored in the top 10!

Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert boring cities? - East Valley Local News - EVTNow
Wow. Did you even read the article? They determined "boring" based on how many times a city was mentioned in the national media. Now, that's meaningful criteria for those who are actually there and know something about those cities.. not.

And, as the article points out, Forbes, and other publications, had ranked those cities high on lists of places to live.

So, thanks for sharing some not very meaningful information in terms of this topic.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Bottom line, if someone is looking towards museums, amusement parks, bars, and other civic amenities. to keep from being bored, he or she has bigger problems that his or her choice of city of residence. You will probably find a greater sense of personal fulfillment and excitement becoming more involved with your family, starting a family, spending more time with your friends, learning more, and/or doing good for others than you ever will by giving money to the people who own the above establishments.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Wow. Did you even read the article? They determined "boring" based on how many times a city was mentioned in the national media. Now, that's meaningful criteria for those who are actually there and know something about those cities.. not.

And, as the article points out, Forbes, and other publications, had ranked those cities high on lists of places to live.

So, thanks for sharing some not very meaningful information in terms of this topic.
Congratulations to those lucky enough to live there! No need to get passive aggressive

Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
I'm young(ish), educated, well-traveled and was upwardly mobile in getting to where I am today. I recently moved here and love it. I've met many young, successful people that moved here for the weather, the outdoor activities (with an emphasis on golf), career advancement and so on that are also happy here. Just because you're not happy here doesn't mean everyone that is has simply settled in life. That's a fallacy. I find myself with more to do than time to do it in.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter015 View Post
Jukesgrrl, I know about the Sports teams!! Sporting events are big in Phoenix but so many transplants here equates to many people rooting for the opposing teams!! Ask just about any new arrival who won the 2001 World Series and I bet they couldn't come up with the correct answer without Googling it!!

Everyone knows the World-famous Yankees but very few people know the Diamondbacks!! The Cardinals??!! Oh yeah, most people heard of the Saint Louis Cardinals but not the Arizona Cardinals Football team!! Their losing record lately should disqualify them from the NFL!!

Phoenix is not sophisticated enough for World-famous Sporting events!! The City hosted a couple of Super Bowls and won a World Series some twelve years ago but it's long forgotten about by now!!
Madhatter, a period is a perfectly acceptable way to terminate your sentences.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 PM

Again, it really depends on the kinds of things you like to do. I like outdoor stuff over crowded nightclubs and amusement parks and such. Over the last couple of months I was able to go camping up on the Mogollon Rim and enjoy the chilly weather and awesome vistas, backpack down into the little-known Agua Fria National Monument and see Hohokam ruins and petroglyphs dotting the canyon walls of the creek (just off the I-17, only about 40 miles north of Phoenix), do some day hikes around South Mountain (the largest city park in America, even larger than Central Park in New York City) and see incredible views of the Valley and the Estrella Mountains, do some wicked rock climbing, and paddle a canoe about 10 miles around Lake Alamo (in the darkest part of the state - it's so far from any city and so dark the stars and meteors just pop out of the night sky, and herds of wild burros whose sires were abandoned by prospectors roam around the shores and bray at you.) All of those experiences cost nothing much more than gas (about $15 to camp at Lake Alamo), and none were more than a couple of hours drive out of Phoenix, most much less. I could find some great outdoor experiences when I lived in L.A., but you could drive 2 hours in L.A., still be stuck in traffic, and still not get out of the city.

The weather makes a lot of activities available year-round that you can't always do in other states. If you like taking roadtrips on a motorcycle, this state is heaven. If you like skydiving, this state is awesome and has some of the best drop zones, schools, and coaching around. If you like firearms sports, Phoenix has the best and largest public firearms range in the country at Ben Avery (people travel from around the country to camp out and use the trap and skeet ranges, day after day). Golf, year round.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 10-18-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
Well this thread certainly took off...can't say it's boring, that's for sure.

My guest came and left and they loved it. They didn't do all that much but they had a good time and were able to relax quite a bit (I let them use our house and one of our cars while here, we were away from home the whole time). They basically hung around the house watching movies, went to a few restaurants that I recommended (Cibo, Delux Burger, The Gelato Spot) and also checked out the Greek Festival which they liked. My cousin's boyfriend actually said he loved it...the wide roads, the no traffic...said he wouldn't mind moving here actually. :P

Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Bottom line, if someone is looking towards museums, amusement parks, bars, and other civic amenities. to keep from being bored, he or she has bigger problems that his or her choice of city of residence. You will probably find a greater sense of personal fulfillment and excitement becoming more involved with your family, starting a family, spending more time with your friends, learning more, and/or doing good for others than you ever will by giving money to the people who own the above establishments.
We're talking about visiting a city for vacation purposes here though, not where you choose to live...or at least that's why I'm talking about. Phoenix is perfectly fine for a place to live, hence why I'm here and will continue to be for a long time.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm a little late to this party, but I have to say this thread started out taking my breath away. WHAT IS WRONG with some of you people? This is the fifth largest city in the United States! Nothing to do?? I'm astounded. I would recommend meds. But I guess when you're also complaining about other cities ... "most US cities are kinda boring" ... if you think that, what do you say about the countryside? Driven around central Missouri lately? How about the plains of South Dakota? The swamps of Jersey?
Well I'm from central Missouri and yes I have, so I'd say YOU need meds! I find stuff to do here AND there. Your opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Again, it really depends on the kinds of things you like to do. I like outdoor stuff over crowded nightclubs and amusement parks and such. Over the last couple of months I was able to go camping up on the Mogollon Rim and enjoy the chilly weather and awesome vistas, backpack down into the little-known Agua Fria National Monument and see Hohokam ruins and petroglyphs dotting the canyon walls of the creek
I'm looking forward to some of these things - hopefully next weekend! I don't like nightlife, clubs, amusement parks either.

I get a little bored in the summer - I like NHL and outdoor hiking, etc. things we can't do much in the summer in PHX. We don't get a chance to leave town due to my husband's work, so we end up a little stuck indoors. But, we manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area