Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,273,509 times

Advertisements

The above, and also Boyce Thompson Arboretum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,266 times
South Mt Park, Heard Museum, Downtown Chandler is kinda cool, Apache Trail, Camelback Mt, and if they like books Changing Hands Bookstore on McClintock just south of Guadalupe.
I don't live in Phoenix but have spent a ton of time there. For such a large metro area there aren't as many things to do as in other similar sized metros, but there are things to do. Just checking out the desert is pretty rad.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
For such a large metro area there aren't as many things to do as in other similar sized metros
I really don't agree with this at all

However, the things are necessarily as convenient or well packaged as other similarly sized metros ....... the metro covers a large amount of land and there are pockets everywhere but relatively little concentration ...... i think this throws of perception a little bit

Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times
See Goldtown, just outside AJ.
Wickenburg is not to far, nice little town close by Phoenix, and see the Vulture Mine. These are real western history, close to Phoenix.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If you are heading slightly over 100 miles north to Sedona, maybe also consider going to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon the next two or three days.
If the Grand Canyon is open....

If you don't mind a drive south, head down to Tucson and visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I too am struggling with the same thing with company arriving tomorrow. One thing I love doing when people visit is having lunch at Pizzeria Bianco and then driving to the summit of South Mountain. The view from up there gives newcomers a perspective of how large the valley really is and it's really spectacular. Other than that we'll spend an evening in Old Town having a nice dinner and then hitting a couple bars, we'll go on a hike in the McDowells and then I'm out of ideas.
Take them to the MIM. New exhibits opening.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I really don't agree with this at all

However, the things are necessarily as convenient or well packaged as other similarly sized metros ....... the metro covers a large amount of land and there are pockets everywhere but relatively little concentration ...... i think this throws of perception a little bit
Perhaps. Distance is a factor. If I spend time in Philadelphia or Boston or NYC I don't have to go more than a few miles or so to see MOST things. In Phoenix it can be ten's of miles.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Definitely. I used to live in Philly and so much is confined in a pretty small space.

Out here is over 30 miles between the two major zoos

It's over 15 miles between the childrens museum in Mesa and the childrens museum downtown

There are some theaters downtown, but also in Tempe, Scottsdale, Peoria, etc ..... they aren't all in an area

It's just under 20 miles from the MIM to the Heard

It's almost 20 miles from the lookout on south mountain to camelback mountain ... from there you are looking at another 8-10 miles to get to dreamy draw/piestewa peak

Over 30 miles between Rawhide & Westworld

It's even 4-5 miles between relatively close attractions like the new butterfly garden and mccormick-stillman railroad park

That's not even getting into other activities that are easily to do here ..... you can get on a boat, go horseback riding, jeep tours through the desert, hot air ballooning, skydiving, private flights, shooting, etc

Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM

137 posts, read 273,037 times
My SO, 15yo son and I stayed with SO's sister for a week last April. We had a great time but decided a week was just about the right amount of time to visit without being bored. Some if the things we did:

Lunch downtown/wells Fargo museum
Capital museum and monuments nearby
Phoenix Zoo (definitely the highlight of our trip)
Mystery Castle
Heard Museum
Hole in the rock

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
In LA? I would probably go to the beach, go to Hollywood, check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame and that whole area, go to Rodeo Drive and do some window shopping and general walking around, probably hit up Universal Studios or maybe Disneyland.

Trust me, I know the Phoenix area better than most. And I already said "...other than restaurants", which I know we have a huge variety, I'm not concerned about that (I'm recommending to them Cibo, Postinos, The Mission, Hanny's, Citizen Public House). I think they would also enjoy going to Scottsdale Quarter and iPic to see a movie plus Kierland Commons across the street. Resorts are great and all but it's not exactly pool weather anymore.

And I know Arizona has a lot to offer between Sedona, Grand Canyon, Tombstone etc I'm those are places outside of Phoenix. I'm looking for things within the Metro area. Maybe they might want to check out Rawhide, that's kind of unique.

How about Rawhide? I used to love going there when I would visit Phoenix

An 1880's Western Town, Steakhouse, Saloon and Shops right in the heart of Wild Horse Pass. - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area