Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 AM

113 posts, read 160,037 times

Advertisements

Horseback riding, mountain biking or hiking at South Mountain. Indoor skydiving near downtown (I forget the name of the facility, google it). If the gov't shutdown ends - the cliff dwellings at Roosevelt lake, the Roosevelt dam....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'll start off by saying I like Phoenix...I've lived here for 21 years and will continue to do so, it's a great place to live day-to-day life but as a city for visitors, not so much.

Am I wrong in feeling that way?

I have a cousin and her boyfriend (late 20s) visiting in about a week from Southern California and I'm trying to think of what I can recommend for them to to and not coming up with much other than restaurants, movies, and the mall. What else can I recommend?
What would you do if you were in Los Angeles? With the exception of the beach and a visit from your local gang member, what difference is there?

For someone that has lived here 21 years, you seem to be stuck in your bubble like most Phoenicians and too scared to explore what the city has to offer.

Did you know there are several dozen non-american style grocery stores in the valley? Did you know that maryvale is full industrial plants? Did you know we have the best pizza on the west coast? Did you know we have several resorts, a light rail, comic book stores, and even malls.

Quit being lazy.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
We recommend Scottsdale for a day, Sedona for a night (1.5 days), Apache Lake/Tortilla Flats and take the ferry tour, Westgate area on the weekend (Yard House for beer drinkers) and a hockey game with last minute Stubhub tickets, hiking in the White Tanks, horse back riding and shopping in Wickenburg, Dillons for lunch at Lake Pleasant and then a hike, and Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Did you know there are several dozen non-american style grocery stores in the valley? Did you know that maryvale is full industrial plants? Did you know we have the best pizza on the west coast? Did you know we have several resorts, a light rail, comic book stores, and even malls.

Quit being lazy.
Kind of rude don't ya think?

HXGUY to his visitors: "Hi Cuz and girlfriend. Today we are going to go to 5 different ethnic grocery stores. After that, we are going to drive around Maryville to look at all of the cool industrial plants. Then, off to the bestest pizza in the whole west coast. Tomorrow, we are going to spend a day in a comic book store that is chalk full of... comic books!

I think you just made his point.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Kind of rude don't ya think?

HXGUY to his visitors: "Hi Cuz and girlfriend. Today we are going to go to 5 different ethnic grocery stores. After that, we are going to drive around Maryville to look at all of the cool industrial plants. Then, off to the bestest pizza in the whole west coast. Tomorrow, we are going to spend a day in a comic book store that is chalk full of... comic books!

I think you just made his point.
I disagree. I was being condescending in my post. I am rude? Have you met the people that live here? I call the culture here "bluntly polite."

I mean he has lived here 21 years, how can you not know the unique things to do in this state unless you've lived in a bubble?

There are many things in Arizona that outsiders wouldn't really know about. Like our wine country, aquamarine clear water spot, spots in the friken grand canyon, and many other gems of this state that are overlooked.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Taco Festival, Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Verde Valley, morning hike on Camelback then go to the Good Egg for breakfast, Botanical Gardens

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
I would second the suggestions of visiting old town Scottsdale & the Botanical Gardens.
Your week in Sedona sounds marvelous so how about taking a day trip in the other direction on down to the Arizona Desert Sonora Museum outside of Tucson? We spent several hours visiting it & enjoyed the range of inside & outside exhibit & free space areas.
The old mining town of Jerome was a high point of my first trip out to Arizona & we made a stop off in Prescott on the return trip back to Phoenix.
If you have access to reliable info on hiking trails in the Superstitions, this would be a great time of year for a hike.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
I dunno - I used to travel for work extensively, and as someone who doesn't drink or "par-TAY" much, I think most US cities are kinda boring -

thinking back to when I first came to town, things I thought were cool -driving to the top of south mountain during the late afternoon & watching the planes line up to land, the botanical garden & the Phoenix zoo (I was really impressed with both).. the little Heard Museum up in Cave-Creek, the fountain at fountain hills, the Good Egg & that bar-b-que place on Baseline rd in Tempe..

Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I disagree. I was being condescending in my post. I am rude? Have you met the people that live here? I call the culture here "bluntly polite."

I mean he has lived here 21 years, how can you not know the unique things to do in this state unless you've lived in a bubble?

There are many things in Arizona that outsiders wouldn't really know about. Like our wine country, aquamarine clear water spot, spots in the friken grand canyon, and many other gems of this state that are overlooked.
All true. But pizza, comic books, and industrial parks?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
I too am struggling with the same thing with company arriving tomorrow. One thing I love doing when people visit is having lunch at Pizzeria Bianco and then driving to the summit of South Mountain. The view from up there gives newcomers a perspective of how large the valley really is and it's really spectacular. Other than that we'll spend an evening in Old Town having a nice dinner and then hitting a couple bars, we'll go on a hike in the McDowells and then I'm out of ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area