Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 PM

124 posts, read 409,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Harrington View Post
But you DO have to start your car and let the interior COOL DOWN before you can touch anything!
Yes, but at least I can sit in my car and drive. You can't even sit in your car when it's that cold. I also don't know of a sunshade, tint or cloth seating that can preserve heat in a car in the winter either.

Quote:
You won't likely get stuck in the SNOW in the flatlands of AZ, but cars DO overheat, in extreme heat, and then you're as good as snowbound!
That's dependent on your car not the weather. If you drive a new car or one that is well maintained, it won't randomly overheat. I'm assuing you are responsible and not redlining it or driving 120 mph. And if you do, you can get out and walk to some place that is airconditioned. In a snow storm, everything is affected as well including other drivers.

Quote:
I vividly recall signs on the highways warning to TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING to AVOID OVERHEATING.
When?

Quote:
Naturally, that meant Summer. I also remember driving on 87, at 112 degrees, with the AC off, thinking we were just going to die, and they'd just find mummies in a car full of hot dust.
Great point because it's so common to see millions of cars with mummies on the freeways in the same way that millions of people are killed due to traffic related deaths due to ice, sleet and snow.

Quote:
When this poor bastard lived in the East, he lived in a trailer park, AND HAD A SNOW BLOWER!!
Except the snow blower doesn't go outside and take care of business for you while you watch television and sip a beer. You still have to put on 5 layers of clothing and step outside to do it!

Last edited by cxray; 12-12-2007 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Default whos complaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
The next time you guys want to complain about the heat, maybe you check out what's going on in Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. The snow and ice has caused power outages that will last for weeks in some areas. Many of the roads have been closed. Sorry but I'll take 110 for 2 months than lose power and have the interstate shut down! Both extreme cold and heat is uncomfortable. The difference, however is that extreme heat doesn't disrupt your lifestyle. There are no power outages or highways being shut down because of the extreme heat. I'm not shoveling heat off my windshield nor do I have to start my car 15 minutes early just to leave. My colleague at work has a son who attends college in Kansas. They are from the valley and her son grew up here and complained about the heat. She said that her son will never complain about the summers in Arizona again after what he has experienced there.

Appreciate what you have here!
could we just enjoy the break in the desert heat? I don't think some on here are happy unless they get something stirred up. you complain about the transplants whineing about the heat. now we have a break and you are not happy with the peace. sorry to dissapoint but I have no complaints at the moment, stay tuned till july and I will help you out Merry Christmas and lets hope we have some of this lovely rainey cool weather for Christmas Day!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
i love the "disruptions" that weather causes. makes you look at things differently instead of same old same old! a young woman walked past me in the parking lot yesterday in the rain and complained to her friend how the rainy weather was "so not my kind of weather, it's messing up my hair!" lol! that's the problem with phoenix, no disruptions, no messed up hair, perfect this and perfect that.....boring beyond belief. let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!!

Last edited by artyst; 12-12-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i love the "disruptions" that weather causes. makes you look at things differently instead of same old same old! a young woman walked past me in the parking lot yesterday in the rain and complained to her friend how the rainy weather was "so not my kind of weather, it's messing up my hair!" lol! that's the problem with phoenix, no disruptions, no messed up hair, perfect this and perfect that.....boring beyond belief. let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!!
I'm sure the people without power in the midwest would agree with you

Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
could we just enjoy the break in the desert heat? I don't think some on here are happy unless they get something stirred up. you complain about the transplants whineing about the heat. now we have a break and you are not happy with the peace. sorry to dissapoint but I have no complaints at the moment, stay tuned till july and I will help you out Merry Christmas and lets hope we have some of this lovely rainey cool weather for Christmas Day!
I'm suprised that asking people to appreciate weather in their own home city is stirring things up??? Can't we all just appeciate the weather we have instead of finding something wrong with our city constantly? I just think some people are so negative and are always trying to find something wrong. There are people sufferring from terrible weather in the midwest and you still can't acknowledge our weather is relatively nice. It's not about complaining but rather taking the time to appreciate what we have. Please, take the time to be thankful and see the brighter side instead of always finding things wrong with your home. You claim to want peace but you are content to oppose anyone who appreciates this city or asks people to cherish it. If you sought peace, your reply should have acknowledged that we have much to be grateful for instead of attacking the messenger. Oh well, Merry Christmas and I hope you can learn to like it here

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Default remember the people on the news a few summers back here?

Quote:
I'm sure the people without power in the midwest would agree with you
they were suffering here in Phoenix without power, remmeber the rolling power outtages? people couldn't hardly stand to stay in thier appartments or home, they couldn't sleep, they were sitting around in thier underwear, talking showers every hour, the kids were crying, they had to be in unsecured sleeping conditions, windows had to be open or they would die. If you have a fireplace in a home with a power outtage in the dead of winter you can still be fine, food won't spoil, sit it outside , easier to survive the cold I think.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Retirement will mean, summers in Sitka, Alaska and winters here in the Valley.

Ah, cool summers - putting out lobster traps and cooking that fresh fish just caught -

Ah, life is good!
Ha-ha, I'm sure we all can unite on this scenario! Lucky you!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Default i appreciate the hard time they are having

Quote:
I'm suprised that asking people to appreciate weather in their own home city is stirring things up??? Can't we all just appeciate the weather we have instead of finding something wrong with our city constantly? I just think some people are so negative and are always trying to find something wrong. There are people sufferring from terrible weather in the midwest and you still can't acknowledge our weather is relatively nice. It's not about complaining but rather taking the time to appreciate what we have. Please, take the time to be thankful and see the brighter side instead of always finding things wrong with your home. You claim to want peace but you are content to oppose anyone who appreciates this city or asks people to cherish it.
but it won't last to long. I myself have been in every weather suituation blizzards, ice storms, snowed in for 3 to 4 days, 15 inchs of snow once, that was a week indoors before that had a dent out in it with shoveling and road crews.everyone knows to go to the grocery and prepare for snow coming its just something we did because you might be trapped a while. summers here are far worse because they go on for so long, everything back there is short lived a week most times tops.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I just flew into Denver this morning, I'm here visiting back home for a few weeks, and so far I'm loving it! It's about 35 degrees outside, sunny, crisp, dry and cool.
I've been to Denver only once, in January. The weather was the same as you're describing it. I liked it. Don't know if it's like this all winter or every winter... Denver's airport has been closed quite a few times... Have been to Durango and Colorado Springs around the 4th of July. It was OK, albeit somewhat chilly for me. This kind of weather I can take, though, if it's a package deal coming with more excitement! However, if there's no beach... the first available beach (warm water, so no Cali) better be closer!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
they were suffering here in Phoenix without power, remmeber the rolling power outtages? people couldn't hardly stand to stay in thier appartments or home, they couldn't sleep, they were sitting around in thier underwear, talking showers every hour, the kids were crying, they had to be in unsecured sleeping conditions, windows had to be open or they would die. If you have a fireplace in a home with a power outtage in the dead of winter you can still be fine, food won't spoil, sit it outside , easier to survive the cold I think.
Those power outtages were rolling and didn't persist for any extended period time nor did they affect the same magnitude of people that are in the midwest. In addition, those people were able to seek shelter at hospitals and designated areas which provided AC and food since the surrounding shops, grocery stores, hospitals and emergency services were not overwhelmed or outright missing. You really can't compare the situations at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area