Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 22,067 times

Advertisements

My wife and i would like to visit Phoenix for a short 3-4 day weekend. Both of us have never been to the area, but we have been talking about it for awhile and we really would like to visit. Any advice and/or suggestions on where to stay/visit would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
It really depends on what you want to do and see while you're here. I would stay at one of the resorts along Camelback or in Paradise Valley for nice accomodations and a central location. Specifically the Royal Palms, Sanctuary or the Montelucia.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
You'll enjoy your trip more in late October or November. The weather this time of year isn't conducive to getting out and about.

Got a laugh today...we stopped by a car dealership to look at a new car. The salesman that was helping us was a kid in his late twenties probably. He walked up to us and shook my hand and the first thing out of his mouth is "God it is hot out here, I don't know how anyone could stand to live here". It wasn't a particularly hot day today so I chuckled and asked "I guess you're not from around here?" and he said "no, I moved here from Michigan six months ago and can't wait to get out of here.". We were there for about 45 minutes and he never stopped complaining about the heat. Mater of fact, he wouldn't answer my questions about the car because he was so busy talking about how hot it is and how miserable this place is. I don't see a successful sales career in his future.

My point, if you're not used to the heat then this time of the year could ruin a vacation.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You'll enjoy your trip more in late October or November. The weather this time of year isn't conducive to getting out and about.
My weekend says otherwise.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My weekend says otherwise.
Well, we live here so we don't have a choice. We have to get out and about all year.

I was referring to those that are not used to the heat and don't have to be out and about.

My in-laws just visited last week and we couldn't get them out of the house, not even to the pool. They were dying the entire week they were here and kept saying "I don't know how you guys do it down here". I suspect many people, that showed up this time of the year for a visit, would say the same thing.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Well, we live here so we don't have a choice. We have to get out and about all year.

I was referring to those that are not used to the heat and don't have to be out and about.

My in-laws just visited last week and we couldn't get them out of the house, not even to the pool. They were dying the entire week they were here and kept saying "I don't know how you guys do it down here". I suspect many people, that showed up this time of the year for a visit, would say the same thing.
Fair enough. I just don't want potential visitors thinking that we're all sitting around hibernating until October.

OP, if this is the time of year that you're able to visit, don't let the weather stop you. It will be hot and you'll need to take some precautions, but you can still explore plenty.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Fair enough. I just don't want potential visitors thinking that we're all sitting around hibernating until October.

OP, if this is the time of year that you're able to visit, don't let the weather stop you. It will be hot and you'll need to take some precautions, but you can still explore plenty.
"Exploring" will be limited to the mornings and evenings unless you plan on exploring from the comfort of your automobile. Today wasn't an especially hot day but I was out in the heat around 2pm (at the car dealership) and it was too hot to be exploring on foot.

I'd certainly let the weather stop a visitor from coming this time of year as you're not going to get the best experience. Sitting on the patio of a restaurant or bar isn't realistic this time of year, exploring the outdoors isn't realistic, visiting the botanical garden isn't realistic, etc.

You'll enjoy Phoenix much more at a cooler time of the year.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
The Heard Museum (Native American history) is definitely a must visit in Phoenix.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM

23 posts, read 22,067 times
I've heard about the heat….were from Denver, and i work with quite a few transplants from the Phoenix/Tucson area. While Denver is a far cry from the heat in Phoenix - it wouldn't be an issue. Besides that, my wife would not be able to get off until late September/October.

As far as what we want to do……not sure. Were pretty simple, just hitting the road in a decent rental vehicle to check out the area would be okay and hit a good restaurant in between. Just looking for some R and R. Thought about maybe heading to Scottsdale or Sedona

Last edited by jakebrake; 08-10-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM

99 posts, read 246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
My wife and i would like to visit Phoenix for a short 3-4 day weekend. Both of us have never been to the area, but we have been talking about it for awhile and we really would like to visit. Any advice and/or suggestions on where to stay/visit would greatly be appreciated.
You could take the Apache Trail drive and visit Canyon Lake and have lunch at Tortilla Flats. The hamburgers are suppose to be really good. Search Google Map for Apache Trail.

Prescott is a 2 hour drive North on Hwy 17. There is Prescott National State forest, a couple of lakes to fish or just sightsee, plus there is the town of Prescott and a lot of shops.

You could also visit Jerome, Sedona, Montezuma Castle National Monument, these are 3 to 4 hours away, depending on where you start from in Phoenix.

If you are looking for a place to retire, good luck ! There are many retirement communities in and around Phoenix, you will need more than 4 days to visit them all.

You are also 1 1/2 hours away from Tucson. Why settle for Phoenix when you can come to Tucson !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area