Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:29 AM

9 posts, read 27,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I'm from NY originally, the upper east side actually. And even in my neighborhood, we were aware of how a significant portion of the city was dangerous and full of crime. Community and culture have nothing to do with it. If you venture to the poor areas of the city, you will see all that. A lot of people assume NY is safe because they see the happy faces in Times Square on the Today show but NY has a lot of crime. This has to do with socio-economic principles than the fact that brownstone houses are next to one another....
Honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about. I am from NYC too and I live in Phoenix for about 8 weeks out of the year. I don't know how long you've lived in Phoenix, but NYC has changed drastically in the past 15 years.

Suburban sprawl in Phoenix and other cities like it are the main reasons why drug use, crime, and under-performing schools have become common place. Schools in the Phoenix metro area are under-performing because they lack proper oversight and are isolated in micro-districts heavily dependent on the surrounding community for funds.

My claim that NYC is the safest major city in the U.S. is actually a fact, not fiction. And if you're going to claim that community and culture have nothing to do with crime rates, then you need facts to back up your claims. I know I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM

35 posts, read 118,169 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I'm a current Las Vegas resident but a Chicago native. I sometimes bounce from forum checking out what's going on in other parts of our nation. I had to stop and read the posts regarding the employer sacntions law in Arizona that began yesterday and I must say to the people and to the governent of Arizona bravo it's about time.
If anyone knows about the immigration issues, it's me. I grew up int he city of Chicagao. Not the far outlying rural areas. Not the suburbs. But in the city. I've experienced mutiple cultures all of my life. Whether it be African (not African American but really African), Mexican, Italian, German, Jewish, Russian, Irish, or Polish. it doesn't matter Chicago has it all.
I once had a girlfriend who happened to be a illegal immigrant from Columbia. She had a tourist visa that lasted until the 6 month expiration date but she simply overstayed it and not once did the Department Of Justice now Department Of Homeland Security come looking for her asking questions. Do you ever wonder why how those very terrorists that attacked September 11 2001 came in so and stayed so easily?
In Chicago, it's just not the Mexicans who are of a large illegal population but also the Polish. You'd never know who they are. They mix in so well with the white American population. But they too are just at fault. They don't meet the necessary entry requirements and they don't go through the proper application process. I have a brother in law who's a carpenter. His Dad's also a carpenter. They both tell me the Polish and the Mexicans are taking over the construction industry. All because the general contractors can get 3 $10 per hour illegals working for the same money as 1 American union carpenter. They tell me it's not so easy for a young guy willing to do hard work for good pay because the owners of builders don't want them anymore. It's all about the illegals now. Whenever some ignorant person says that I'm racist towards Mexicans, I respond then I must be racist towards Polish too since they're part of the problem AND I myself am 25% Polish.
All of my Great Grand parents and 1 Grandparent are immigrants to this country. Not 1 must I repeat 1 was illegal. I know this for a fact because I heard the stories of the trials and the tribulations it took for them to finally get here. My Grandma in particulr, was brought over here by my Grandpa after World War 2 from Germany. She had to get a health screening test for any diseases or viruses. She had to have a skill whther blue or white collar nevertheless just a skill. She had to pay fees to get the application process finished. She had to go through interviews on her reasons why she wants to come here. And she had to be on a waiting list. Finally, 2 years later, she was in America. Within no time, she learned the English language fluently, got a job in quality assurance in a factory since she was trained in factories making equipment for th Nazi military back in Germany, and became an American citizen.
My point of telling you that story is because she came in the right way. How it should be. Organized. Intelligent. Just. And fair. These illegal immigrants whether from Mexico or Poland or China or Russia I don't care racism has nothing to do with it. It needs to be stopped dead in their tracks. And this employer sanctions law is just the beginning. I wish the federal govenment would do just this ona widespread national scale. Full blown. But they won't. Why? Because their campaigns are funded by special interest groups that want or need the illegal immigrants in here so they don't have to pay the rest of us equitable wages but very low wages. These illegal immigrants are willing to do it for that oney because to them they're becoming rich.
I applaud your backing of this new law but your new task is to keep it place. There's multiple major corporations and small business fighting it tooth and nail and the politicians will listen. The more you have your voice heard, the more the law will stay.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
The city didn't even have a highway system. I remember having to take Pima road to drive to Mesa. It was a 2 hour drive. That same drive today would take me 20-30 minutes. But I suppose if you are into the simple small town life, Phoenix would have been more appealing then
I'm not a big Mesa kind of person, I prefer my horse ranch as opposed to track housing....

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamontesareforever View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I'm a current Las Vegas resident but a Chicago native. I sometimes bounce from forum checking out what's going on in other parts of our nation. I had to stop and read the posts regarding the employer sacntions law in Arizona that began yesterday and I must say to the people and to the governent of Arizona bravo it's about time.
If anyone knows about the immigration issues, it's me. I grew up int he city of Chicagao. Not the far outlying rural areas. Not the suburbs. But in the city. I've experienced mutiple cultures all of my life. Whether it be African (not African American but really African), Mexican, Italian, German, Jewish, Russian, Irish, or Polish. it doesn't matter Chicago has it all.
I once had a girlfriend who happened to be a illegal immigrant from Columbia. She had a tourist visa that lasted until the 6 month expiration date but she simply overstayed it and not once did the Department Of Justice now Department Of Homeland Security come looking for her asking questions. Do you ever wonder why how those very terrorists that attacked September 11 2001 came in so and stayed so easily?
In Chicago, it's just not the Mexicans who are of a large illegal population but also the Polish. You'd never know who they are. They mix in so well with the white American population. But they too are just at fault. They don't meet the necessary entry requirements and they don't go through the proper application process. I have a brother in law who's a carpenter. His Dad's also a carpenter. They both tell me the Polish and the Mexicans are taking over the construction industry. All because the general contractors can get 3 $10 per hour illegals working for the same money as 1 American union carpenter. They tell me it's not so easy for a young guy willing to do hard work for good pay because the owners of builders don't want them anymore. It's all about the illegals now. Whenever some ignorant person says that I'm racist towards Mexicans, I respond then I must be racist towards Polish too since they're part of the problem AND I myself am 25% Polish.
All of my Great Grand parents and 1 Grandparent are immigrants to this country. Not 1 must I repeat 1 was illegal. I know this for a fact because I heard the stories of the trials and the tribulations it took for them to finally get here. My Grandma in particulr, was brought over here by my Grandpa after World War 2 from Germany. She had to get a health screening test for any diseases or viruses. She had to have a skill whther blue or white collar nevertheless just a skill. She had to pay fees to get the application process finished. She had to go through interviews on her reasons why she wants to come here. And she had to be on a waiting list. Finally, 2 years later, she was in America. Within no time, she learned the English language fluently, got a job in quality assurance in a factory since she was trained in factories making equipment for th Nazi military back in Germany, and became an American citizen.
My point of telling you that story is because she came in the right way. How it should be. Organized. Intelligent. Just. And fair. These illegal immigrants whether from Mexico or Poland or China or Russia I don't care racism has nothing to do with it. It needs to be stopped dead in their tracks. And this employer sanctions law is just the beginning. I wish the federal govenment would do just this ona widespread national scale. Full blown. But they won't. Why? Because their campaigns are funded by special interest groups that want or need the illegal immigrants in here so they don't have to pay the rest of us equitable wages but very low wages. These illegal immigrants are willing to do it for that oney because to them they're becoming rich.
I applaud your backing of this new law but your new task is to keep it place. There's multiple major corporations and small business fighting it tooth and nail and the politicians will listen. The more you have your voice heard, the more the law will stay.
Well said!!! I bet the Irish wish they could have played the race card. It works well!! I being 1/2 black say the only race card being played should be one from someone whose relative here legally was hung in a tree! I hate it when illegal immigrants say people are just racist! How can you be racist against someone entering this country criminally? And getting paid for it. If one of my grandparents didn't harvest some ones crop for free they would have been beaten to death. Apples and oranges honey. Now if employers start going over to Mexico, rounding up groups of hispanics and forcing them to work in America for nothing and beating them with whips then they can start crying racism all they want to and I will back them up!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times
Has anyone seen any effects at fast food or other restaurants now that the illegal aliens have started to leave?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Has anyone seen any effects at fast food or other restaurants now that the illegal aliens have started to leave?
No impact whatsoever

Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
YES

I rather liked the way life was here in Phoenix 15 -20 years ago. I'd take those days back in a heartbeat.
Me too. Except I'd go back more than that. Phoenix quality of life went in the tank when the metro crossed over 1 million and we went on the map. Back then Phoenix was a lot like Tucson is today but with better government - your basic cowtown in the desert. Moooo.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Me too. Except I'd go back more than that. Phoenix quality of life went in the tank when the metro crossed over 1 million and we went on the map. Back then Phoenix was a lot like Tucson is today but with better government - your basic cowtown in the desert. Moooo.
There goes "our quality of life," too!. I'm sooo sad.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM

257 posts, read 986,579 times
Default workers

Guess what i am 49 years old and i did build houses in Dallas in the summer while going to U.T. and mcdonalds in in high school i also worked in a cement plant when i could not find a job after college.All these jobs young workers used to do and could do again instead of playing video games and eating all day.Most people need to get off the couch and mow thier own grass and stop hiring illegals.What are we going to do if unemployment goes to 8 percent again, like it was under Jimmey Carter,with all these illegals?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4535 View Post
A typical teenager should prepare to go college and find a summer internship, not pick fruit. Illegal immigrants have nothing to do with the social ills currently plaguing this city and the country.

I just picked my favs from your post. Instead of laughing at the silly stuff above I will ask why a teenager should not pick fruit for a summer before college? Oh, you must be a John Edwards supporter! EVERYONE should go to college! And the tax payers should pay. Hate to break it to you: Some should go to college, some to a tech school, some learn a trade. Some are lazy arses and won't do anything. All, by the way could learn a bunch from picking fruit. And, yes...I made a huge assumption that you were a devote of Mr. Edwards.

And, if illegal immigrants have nothing to do with the social ills currently plaguing this country....go to the Maryvale area of Phx. Chickens running wild, gun shots a-plenty, snotty nosed kids with no diapers in the middle of the street. Nice. Multi culturalism. It's not a great thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area