Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Going back to an earlier post that stated you painted ALL of South Phoenix with one swatch as "ghetto" is what this thread is about, is/was incorrect. It has been stated admittedly that the schools are not great, but, also pointed that all the schools in Phoenix have some issues. You like the Biltmore corridor I am sure, well guess what? Camelback High School just south of Camelback and 28th street is in the Phoenix Union school district, then same school district as South Mountain High School with the same type of kids who attend South Mountain......do you call that area GHETTO because the school is not up to what you consider good or great? Oops Point is, it was a fail on your part to use schools as your main attempt to prove an area is "ghetto."

Also, it has been admitted by me and others that there are some less than desirable areas one would prefer to reside in or frequent, but to infer that shopping at Fry's or Auto Zone or be a member of LA Fitness or go to any other store that may not be full of white people (non-diverse) from Gilbert, Chandler, or Scottsdale does not mean it is a life threatening proposition.

Last but not least, why don't you go check the property value of ALL of South Phoenix and tell me if there isn't any areas with home values higher than the average home value in Scottsdale, Gilbert, and Chandler. That will tell you all you need to know about who lives and want to live in South Phoenix and how it is not ALL Ghetto.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ch/85042/sby-2

Bet you couldn't afford the first few
I already said Baseline is up is fine and all you can mention is Baseline and 24th St. If you go South less then a half a mile past SMCC and the Masonic Lodge By the trailers it gets bad real fast. You telling me The Vista's is an awesome place to live? How about Cotton Center? How about Lindo Park? How about Park South? Tell me what are the hidden gems between 48th St to 19th Ave and Baseline to The Salt River? So they built some house around the Legacy Golf Course and between Baseline and Dobbins. They sure did built those fences pretty high to keep out the ghetto. I bet those people are not sending their kids to schools in South Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Chandler is a hot spot? You have got to be kidding!

South Phoenix is way more centrally located than Chandler and it is not even close. Look on a map and see how close 32nd and Baseline is to Tempe, downtown, and Ahwatukee..... I guess a 10 min drive is a long time. If I live in South Chandler where could I be in ten minutes? the San Tan Village.....maybe. It is 3 miles to Germann and Gilbert RD from Gilbert and Chandler Heights, and that is franchise restaurant central as is the San Tan Valley. It takes me 15 mins to get to the Biltmore. 10 minutes to Mill. South Phoenix local was the main reason I moved.

Trying to say South Mountain isn't centrally locate is hilarious. You have access to all of the freeways.
LOL, I never argued that South Phoenix isn't more centrally located, I stated that being located along the 101 corridor is preferable than being centrally located because this is where the high quality jobs are, and is a hot spot for people moving into the area. Not many are looking to get into South Phoenix if the job is in the 101 corridor. And yes there is a lot more dining and shopping and entertainment in Chandler than in South Phoenix. There's no shopping mall, no movie theater, no decent place to get steak or sushi or a great burger in South Phoenix. You have to leave your area to go out for an evening and you know it

Just because you lived at the southernmost edge of Chandler doesn't mean that is where Chandler begins and ends.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:

If you choose the right neighborhood, you have the Kyrene and Tempe school districts to serve your kids needs; or you could do what the Biltmore people do, send your kids to a private school.

That area of South Phoenix you live that is in the "great" Kyrene district actually feeds to one of the Kyrene school that performs horribly and is ranked 6/10 on great schools. So that may not have been as great of an investment as you thought (school wise). I'm glad you're happy where you are, but no there is no jealousy on this end trust me. My wife has a 15 minute commute to Tempe and I have a 0.0 commute to my home office, no need to live that close to downtown, and I get the added benefit of being close to dozens of restaurants and my son can go to a public school ranked 10/10. Plus I don't have to deal with smoke from tire fires, don't have shootings or stabbings in the area and I don't get accosted at the gas station for spare change.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM

755 posts, read 675,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
That area of South Phoenix you live that is in the "great" Kyrene district actually feeds to one of the Kyrene school that performs horribly and is ranked 6/10 on great schools. So that may not have been as great of an investment as you thought (school wise). I'm glad you're happy where you are, but no there is no jealousy on this end trust me. My wife has a 15 minute commute to Tempe and I have a 0.0 commute to my home office, no need to live that close to downtown, and I get the added benefit of being close to dozens of restaurants and my son can go to a public school ranked 10/10. Plus I don't have to deal with smoke from tire fires, don't have shootings or stabbings in the area and I don't get accosted at the gas station for spare change.
Trying real hard to convince yourself you made the right choice, huh? Bottom line is I lived in Chandler. My daughter went to Hull elementary, San Tan Jr. High and Basha high school....I know what those schools offer, especially since I taught at Basha high school and graduated from UCLA, so I know what makes a student great, trust, it isn't the school. Also, my elementary school is rated 6/10 and the high school is rated 9/10-failed to mention that-I guess that means your kid is going to Harvard and my youngest will be going to SMCC .

Again, I wouldn't give up my location for ANY Chandler location if you paid me, been there, done that; that is the difference between you and I. Also, I have more access to finer dining than you, could care less if it is not in S. Phoenix, 10 mins is 10 mins. You act as if I have to eat in S. Phoenix because my location is S. Phoenix. Also, it takes me 12 mins to get home from a Suns game that is freaking fantastic!!! Where else can you live on the base of a mountain and get to a professional sporting venue in 12mins?!!

The point of OP was..... is S. Phoenix a place worth residing? The answer is a resounding YES! Can you pick just any place in S. Phoenix? No. Can you pick any place in Chandler....NO!

Now, lets talk about how bad living in Encanto is because of its location, or the Biltmore corridor or N Central Phoenix, because all of those places are not far from lower SES neighborhoods, as is older Chandler.

Oh yea......... where did the Seattle Seahawks stay when the played in the Super Bowl? SOUTH PHOENIX!!! If it is so bad and dangerous, why didn't they stay in Chandler?

Inside Look at the Seattle Seahawks' Superbowl Hotel | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

The Arizona Grand!!

Case Closed!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
I'm pro South Phoenix but just stop...the people who dislike the area in this thread will continue to pick apart anything you post and just drag this thread on. It's already beating a dead horse and nothing positive is coming out of it.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm pro South Phoenix but just stop...the people who dislike the area in this thread will continue to pick apart anything you post and just drag this thread on. It's already beating a dead horse and nothing positive is coming out of it.
LOL no I'm done. Like I said I'm glad he's happy and I'm happy where I am too. I just took exception to the classification of Chandler as "In the boonies" when I have every service available within about a 3 minute drive, but I don't live at the edge of Chandler like he did. Maybe I'll catch him at some Mountain Pointe/Hamilton football games

Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

There are positives and negatives in someone's mind about every area of the Valley, not just S Phoenix an Chandler. No place is for everyone. So, we are going around and around a bit.

And, the OP is not involved in the discussion, so either they learned what they needed to know, or not....

Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 PM

755 posts, read 675,625 times
Wow! The last three posts were great and a great way to end this thread.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
Quote:
Wow! The last three posts were great and a great way to end this thread.
Not really you live in a gated community in the foothills which isn't in the area I posted. You have yet to answer the question about the areas in South Phoenix I posted about.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 PM

113 posts, read 159,994 times
As they say - "haters gonna hate..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area