Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:02 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No one said that Chandler was the cheapest in the valley. You said, "Inexpensive and in a good area in Chandler? Nope.". There are plenty of houses in good areas in Chandler that I would consider inexpensive, so your statement isn't true.
That YOU would consider inexpensive. But not to the majority of wage earners in AZ. AZ's middle class are among the lower earning in the US. But yeah, coming from California, $300k is a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
That YOU would consider inexpensive. But not to the majority of wage earners in AZ. AZ's middle class are among the lower earning in the US. But yeah, coming from California, $300k is a bargain.
I still believe most middle class workers, even in AZ, can afford a $300k house without much of a stretch. Hell, they do it in the Midwest where property taxes are triple. I don't think people are as poor as you think.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
VA 30YR Fixed Loans are at 3.5%. 5/1 ARMs can get down to 2.25%. Yes, I keep getting fliers from everyone wanting me to streamline Refi. What they don't realize is my rate is already lower than what they are offering.

I agree with you though...33% of your income for housing is just a couple of major repairs away from house poor.
I'm seeing them at roughly 4% par rate currently, although they were 3.5% last year. The lower rates are possible of course, if you pay several points (several thousands of dollars of pre-paid interest, essentially) to buy down to the advertised rates.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I still believe most middle class workers, even in AZ, can afford a $300k house without much of a stretch. Hell, they do it in the Midwest where property taxes are triple. I don't think people are as poor as you think.
You'd be surprised. I've got three kids on my sons baseball team that I'm financially supporting in baseball through sponsorship because their parents literally have no extra money and I want their kids to be able to play. For some, $45 to play in a weekend tournament is too much. I think sometimes those of us that are doing above average get jaded and don't realize most people don't earn or save like we do.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You'd be surprised. I've got three kids on my sons baseball team that I'm financially supporting in baseball through sponsorship because their parents literally have no extra money and I want their kids to be able to play. For some, $45 to play in a weekend tournament is too much. I think sometimes those of us that are doing above average get jaded and don't realize most people don't earn or save like we do.
Yep, completely agree. I do believe that people spend beyond their means. But when you factor in car payments, medical bills, school bills, unexpected expenses, daycare bills etc. and less than ideal wages in AZ in some sectors, $300K is way out of reach for alot of people.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Median household income in Maricopa County is around $55k. People making that median are not going to be able to buy a $300k house, even with relatively low property taxes, at least not without a significant amount saved for a down payment (possible but not likely on that income). You'd need to get roughly into the $70-75k+ range to buy a $300,000 house here assuming a reasonable debt load.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's sad. Good for you though. The kids shouldn't suffer because their parents made some wrong moves.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's sad. Good for you though. The kids shouldn't suffer because their parents made some wrong moves.
I don't know that any of them made particularly bad choices other than I don't believe any have gone to college. One of the fathers has had health problems, another family the mother has been laid off a couple times and I assume is having trouble digging out of the hole. For some, digging out of $15,000 in credit card debt seems like an insurmountable task, so paying for baseball would be a luxury. All are families with two working parents, seem like decent people and all live in the aforementioned North Chandler area in those small rectangular no frills houses built in the 70's.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know that any of them made particularly bad choices other than I don't believe any have gone to college. One of the fathers has had health problems, another family the mother has been laid off a couple times and I assume is having trouble digging out of the hole. For some, digging out of $15,000 in credit card debt seems like an insurmountable task, so paying for baseball would be a luxury. All are families with two working parents, seem like decent people and all live in the aforementioned North Chandler area in those small rectangular no frills houses built in the 70's.
Perhaps the wrong choice of words. I guess some things are beyond one's control.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Interestingly a lot of the complaints in this thread are precisely what has happened in CA over the last 2-3 decades - and many on this forum tout CA as being a pattern to follow (go figure )

I always get a chuckle when I read or hear someone saying they want to live in CA... then read a thread full of complaints about the same problems CA has (albeit worse there).
The people earning less than 100K that live in Los Angeles and San Francisco are like employess at Disneyland. Behind all the glamour, glitz and perceived happiness are the people who are sweating and toiling away to serve rich people yet have a very poor qualify of life themselves IMHO. The wealthy are the only ones who enjoy California. They are like the guests at Disney who get enjoy all the rides and fun at the expense of everyone else. LOL The rest of the people living there are not thrilled. They can't afford housing. Utilites and gas are expensive. Taxes are high. Traffic occurs all day 7 days per week not just rush hour on weekdays like in Phoenix. They can't afford to attend professional sports and other events because ticket prices are outrageous.

And like these Disney employees. They all want to work there because of their perceived notion that it will be such a fun job. People move to these cities because they think they will live like the Kardashians. And when they move there, reality sets in.

Los Angeles and San Francisco are great places to visit but not live unless you earn a lot of money (over six figures minimum) otherwise, you really can't afford to have any quality of life whatsoever considering housing is not even an option and everything is so high from food, gas, utilities, and taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area