Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 260,282 times

Advertisements

As a new transplant to the valley I see all the news people getting all excited about the upcoming monsoon season. I get it, a different weather system than "sunny, hot and dry" but I am curious about the instructions they give about the dust storms. They said to pull over and turn off you car lights and take you foot off the brakes. Aren't you setting yourself up to get hit if other motorists don't see you?

Like I said, this is my first monsoon season so any insights anyone can share about what to expect and how to survive (!?!?) Please share!

Tornados, winds, flooding and hail back home so I am sort of missing the weather excitement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Conditions on highways can get bad enough that you can't see very far in front of you. Obviously this is a time to pull over completely off of the roadway. You want to keep your foot off the brake because a car behind you could think you're still on the roadway and try to follow you. Once they realize you're stationary it could be too late and you're rear ended.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM

156 posts, read 420,517 times
Pull off the road as far as you can. Turn off lights & take foot of brakes(lights).
Lights off idea is so people don't think you are in the lane of traffic trying to follow you.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:55 PM

I suppose, but typically if I see brake lights, I hit my brakes too. I realize at highway speeds and given the way people here tend to tailgate it makes sense.
Are these dust storms frequent? How long do they last? How many occur in during a typical monsoon season?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirlsuz View Post
I suppose, but typically if I see brake lights, I hit my brakes too. I realize at highway speeds and given the way people here tend to tailgate it makes sense.
Are these dust storms frequent? How long do they last? How many occur in during a typical monsoon season?
Except that, in the reduced visibility conditions of a dust storm, it's not always readily apparent that they're brake lights as opposed to tail lights.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
How bad and how often depend on where you live. The storms are more frequent and more severe in the SE part of the metro - especially in the Casa Grande area along I10. I8 southwest of Phoenix heading to San Diego gets bad ones too. There are at least a half dozen really bad ones a year, I'd say, and maybe another dozen lesser ones. The worst of them will be when the monsoon first kicks up because the soils are dry and the high base thunderstorms have stronger outflow winds.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
They tend not to last long, a matter of minutes, and if you are on the urban freeways, they are not quite as intense as if you are out on 1-10 between here and Tucson or I-8 headed for Yuma. A lot of the time, you can just avoid being on the road when they pass through. If you are not in the southeast Valley, you may not be affected by one at all. They are certainly less common in other parts of the Valley.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM

I suppose similar to a "white out" during the blizzards up north (not the ones from DQ).

I am guessing Mesa will be the east side to which you refer. Oh well, something new to look forward to! Life is a journey!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
I suppose similar to a "white out" during the blizzards up north (not the ones from DQ).

I am guessing Mesa will be the east side to which you refer. Oh well, something new to look forward to! Life is a journey!

Not just Mesa. Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe, SE Phoenix, all see the storms that come up from the east or southeast. I suspect the blizzard whiteouts last longer. Those aren't moving at the speed the storms here are... the dust comes in, hopefully followed by rain, but not always, sometimes just wind and lightning/thunder.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
OP - you may actually experience your first one today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area