Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Picky picky picky

Phoenix and the rest of AZ needs to get its finances in order and attract more high paying business jobs before raising any taxes or committing billions to a new project. The state needs to avoid getting into more debt until the unemployent rate goes down and the real estate market which is the largest provider of jobs in Phoenix and the rest of AZ improves with double the amount of new homes( not apartments) that are currently being built.
1. This is a funding increase through a .03% sales tax in addition to the current .04% for the use of updating the transit network in Phoenix proper and nowhere else generating an estimated $30Billion (not debt)

2. Walmart, Banner, Kroger, Albertsons & Wells Fargo are the largest employers in the State

3. This has nothing to do with the State of Arizona, this is exclusively a deal within the City of Phoenix

4. Building homes in Arizona not exclusive to Phoenix have no real effect on the Phoenix economy relying on our ability to build houses as the sole economic indicator is a simplistic view of how an economy works and creates an unsustainable model for a city of this size. On top of that when you build a project like this you create jobs like the ones you are saying we need more of.

5. In order to double the current rate of growth you would need to expand transit via roads, freeways, mass transit and public transit.

6. When a city chooses to grow by creating spec demand on the fringes, you create an undue burden to the city proper, while those who live out of the city proper work in the city proper, they are still creating wear, smog, congestion and the requirement of an updated transit network.

7. Often in business what you will find is that you must invest in order to grow, often when you create projects like this the purpose isn't necessarily what it does more than what it will create along the rail pathway which theoretically would be a boon to the city proper.

But overall you seem to be missing that the proposal is not for the State of Arizona it is for the City of Phoenix itself as a separate entity from the State.

There are reasons to be against this proposal, I'm personally against the idea that it needs to go to Metrocenter Mall and PV Mall as these are two autocentric and suburban styled areas that wouldn't really be a large benefit, I imagine this has something to do with federal benefits more than anything and if by doing it this way it makes earns larger federal dollars then I can see the benefit. The language of the proposal is pretty suspect, but it does hit an overarching issue for our city proper, it needs more and better public transportation in order to attract jobs in the first place. You can't rely on 2 lane roads in a downtown of a city 1.5 million people, if you add more lanes then you destroy the walkability of it creating more cars and then creating more congestion the paradox of freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,948,303 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
1. This is a funding increase through a .03% sales tax in addition to the current .04% for the use of updating the transit network in Phoenix proper and nowhere else generating an estimated $30Billion (not debt)

2. Walmart, Banner, Kroger, Albertsons & Wells Fargo are the largest employers in the State

3. This has nothing to do with the State of Arizona, this is exclusively a deal within the City of Phoenix

4. Building homes in Arizona not exclusive to Phoenix have no real effect on the Phoenix economy relying on our ability to build houses as the sole economic indicator is a simplistic view of how an economy works and creates an unsustainable model for a city of this size. On top of that when you build a project like this you create jobs like the ones you are saying we need more of.

5. In order to double the current rate of growth you would need to expand transit via roads, freeways, mass transit and public transit.

6. When a city chooses to grow by creating spec demand on the fringes, you create an undue burden to the city proper, while those who live out of the city proper work in the city proper, they are still creating wear, smog, congestion and the requirement of an updated transit network.

7. Often in business what you will find is that you must invest in order to grow, often when you create projects like this the purpose isn't necessarily what it does more than what it will create along the rail pathway which theoretically would be a boon to the city proper.

But overall you seem to be missing that the proposal is not for the State of Arizona it is for the City of Phoenix itself as a separate entity from the State.

There are reasons to be against this proposal, I'm personally against the idea that it needs to go to Metrocenter Mall and PV Mall as these are two autocentric and suburban styled areas that wouldn't really be a large benefit, I imagine this has something to do with federal benefits more than anything and if by doing it this way it makes earns larger federal dollars then I can see the benefit. The language of the proposal is pretty suspect, but it does hit an overarching issue for our city proper, it needs more and better public transportation in order to attract jobs in the first place. You can't rely on 2 lane roads in a downtown of a city 1.5 million people, if you add more lanes then you destroy the walkability of it creating more cars and then creating more congestion the paradox of freeways.
Sadly the real estate industry is the largest provider of jobs by far and has the largest impact on jobs in Phoenix and in Arizona. Until the city and state attract more high paying jobs from other industry sectors we are dependent on the real estate market recovery before we are out of the woods.
Phoenix and AZ as a whole needs to recover financially before we take on billions more in debt .

Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Look, I'll try to explain this to both you Einstein's, so the two of you can actually manage to somehow grasp and comprehend it. Read slow, and take your time. Let it sink in. My mailing address is Glendale, (85307), but I receive Phoenix city services. (Police, Fire, Water & Sanitation). Understand? With me so far? And yes, I receive a ballot in the mail before every Phoenix election addressed to....... Wait for it....... My Home! Perhaps you should call the city and explain to them how misinformed they are. And we wonder how Obama got elected twice?
Oh boy, I sense you will be overjoyed and really excited when and if a democrat wins the presidential election next November. By the way, thanks for the clarification and compliment, it's very much appreciated, you're the best. I don't know if I'm in the same class as Einstein, I try and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
[quote=autism360;40736472]
Quote:

Sadly the real estate industry is the largest provider of jobs by far and has the largest impact on jobs in Phoenix and in Arizona. Until the city and state attract more high paying jobs from other industry sectors we are dependent on the real estate market recovery before we are out of the woods.
Phoenix and AZ as a whole needs to recover financially before we take on billions more in debt .
You can't diversify our economy and attract high paying jobs if you are trying to appeal to good ole boys. Look at your target audience. People who are highly educated with high paying careers are typically not people who share the same hobbies and philosophy as Ted Nugent. Yeah I know, it's hard to believe.

I'm astonished by some of the people in this state. Do you really think people who start companies are people like them? Hey let's attract Ivy league educated white collar executives by embracing immigrant bashing, gun rights, poor education funding, limiting womens right to choose, trampling of gay rights...yeah I'm sure the guy from Harvard is really into those things.

That's comparable to trying to lure the Bass Pro shop crowd by embracing vegetarian diets, hybrid vehicles, recycling, theater, and coffee shops.

Rethink your strategy. You may not like these people. They may not be like you. But they will keep you employed and bring money to the state. The "Huntin" crowd isn't doing that. Sorry

Old 08-08-2015, 03:57 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
[quote=autism360;40736472]
Quote:

High paying jobs are usually highly skilled jobs. Many of these highly skilled jobs require higher education. With our legislature slashing funding for schools left and right, including our universities, we are in a less than ideal position. What would attract high wage employers to a place without a highly educated population? It's all connected. No employer is going to come in with $70,000/year+ jobs to people without a degree, including people who can't even read, write or spell at a high school level. We need to stop relying on real estate. It's too risky. The real estate market for single family homes in boomtowns is gone. Move on. Waiting for Buckeye to start rapidly sprawling to Tonopah or Goodyear enveloping Mobile is useless. It's not going to happen. We need to start thinking of innovative ideas instead of relying on our fallback.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post

High paying jobs are usually highly skilled jobs. Many of these highly skilled jobs require higher education. With our legislature slashing funding for schools left and right, including our universities, we are in a less than ideal position. What would attract high wage employers to a place without a highly educated population? It's all connected. No employer is going to come in with $70,000/year+ jobs to people without a degree, including people who can't even read, write or spell at a high school level. We need to stop relying on real estate. It's too risky. The real estate market for single family homes in boomtowns is gone. Move on. Waiting for Buckeye to start rapidly sprawling to Tonopah or Goodyear enveloping Mobile is useless. It's not going to happen. We need to start thinking of innovative ideas instead of relying on our fallback.
And then there's the brain drain problem. We have an enormous and improving University at ASU and one of the better public research Universities at UA but the budget cuts have caused tuition to double and forced thousands of layoffs at UA this year. It's caused some of the graduate programs at ASU to seek either partnership with out of state universities like Mayo Medical School or to remove themselves from public fundings debacles altogether like Sandra Day O'Connor Law School.

If we're going to rely on building cheap stucco boxes to drive our economy exclusively, then why even have the Universities at all? The chemists and engineers that we are pumping out probably want to do something more engaging and higher paying than senseless housing development.

Arizona can and should do better, there is no reason we should be in this position. We have a good climate, a high qol, cheap col and many high end amenities. It's all mismanagement and corruption.

This little nugget was just published (hence the edit) around 60% of our children are below average.

Quote:
Rebecca Gau, executive director for Stand for Children Arizona, called the results “what we expected.”
“We also know our students have historically not been prepared for college and career when leaving Arizona’s education system and it is critical we have the courage to keep expectations high,” she said.
AzMERIT: Most Arizona students not

Last edited by JGMotorsport64; 08-08-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 02:03 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Putting a different city as your address?

Here. Now both of you can read and learn. I didn't have to look very far to find it.

"The city name is whatever USPS says it is, even if that city name isn't the city in which your property is actually located."

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupA....action?mode=2
This explains places in the Phoenix city limits having mailing addresses as Glendale, Scottsdale, Tolleson, etc.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm astonished by some of the people in this state. Do you really think people who start companies are people like them? Hey let's attract Ivy league educated white collar executives by embracing immigrant bashing, gun rights, poor education funding, limiting womens right to choose, trampling of gay rights...yeah I'm sure the guy from Harvard is really into those things.
Basically you're correct ... however, look at Texas and Georgia: two states that are even further to the political right than Arizona is (both economically & socially), but look at all the successful businesses in cities like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Houston is home to 26 Fortune 500 firms, Dallas has 21, and Atlanta has 16. Phoenix has five, which is paltry compared to those other cities. You can usually tell by a city's skyline how corporate friendly it is because most skyscrapers are office towers. So it's quite apparent that conservative politics are not discouraging companies from locating in states like Georgia or Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You're correct that most high paying jobs are highly skilled, and highly competitive as well ... however, you're incorrect in associating these higher paying jobs with education funding. I have said repeatedly that most business owners (who often have a net worth in the millions) couldn't care less about public funding for K through 12 because they can easily afford to send their kids to good reputable private schools. Even somebody who is making $70K per year could afford a good private school with a little budgeting and sacrifice. Besides, public schools are often used by lazy parents as dumping grounds for their kids to get them out of their hair, and for free daycare. Public education is a huge drain on the state budget, not to mention the public in the form of property taxes & other taxes ... and the educational quality is generally inferior to private schools.

But I do agree that we need to quit relying on real estate so much. Not only that, we need to quit relying on sunshine, snowbirds, and retirees so much for our economic base. Phoenix has the potential to be a world class city where more Fortune 500 type of corporations base their national & global HQs. The issue is not so much education, but the tax structure. If AZ eliminated the state income tax and lowered business taxes, that alone would be a draw for more businesses to locate here and bring in the high paying jobs. Look at states like Texas and Washington: both have no state income taxes and are very business friendly, despite other factors in both states which could seemingly be discouraging to reputable corporations.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 7,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
...around 60% of our children are below average.

AzMERIT: Most Arizona students not
I know that its apparently not "politically correct" to even mention it, but if you re-do the math without including the many children of illegals now filling the schools, (many of which cannot even speak English enough to understand the lessons, and don't even have any level of education to build on), you would get a MUCH different statistic.

The point being, your statistic is actually not indicative of a teacher/education quality problem in AZ, but just another pointer to the politically incorrect reality that by accommodating illegal immigrants and giving them and their kids free access to taxpayer-funded services instead of shipping them back over the border, the rest of our community is hurt badly.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justniz View Post
I know that its apparently not "politically correct" to even mention it, but if you re-do the math without including the many children of illegals now filling the schools, (many of which cannot even speak English enough to understand the lessons, and don't even have any level of education to build on), you would get a MUCH different statistic.

The point being, your statistic is actually not indicative of a teacher/education quality problem in AZ, but just another pointer to the politically incorrect reality that the city/state accommodating illegal immigrants by giving them and their kids free access to taxpayer-funded services hurts the rest of our community badly.
I made a post about this earlier somewhere but the illegal immigrant population has dropped by about 25% since 2007 but our schools have gotten worse at the same time. You're right, the predominantly poor school districts (which happen to have a large portion of Native American and Hispanic Children) do more poorly, but with the reduction of illegal immigrants in the last many years I don't think we can pin the blame on them if it get worse when they are gone. We don't fund our schools, it's simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area