Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upaul60 View Post
I'm a little skeptical that it will raise $31 billion but transit funding needs a boost. I really want to see the added light rail line from Downtown westward to the Capitol along Washington and Jefferson Street,it would benefit people like me and reduce reliance on my car. I work at the Capitol complex and am tired of the backed up drive both ways. That added line to the Capitol would make commuting easier for me and many other Government employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Well-written about the light rail expansion westward to the state capitol and beyond, it's already in the plans but it won't happen for many years.

In the meantime can't government employees get free bus passes so you won't have to drive so much?
A light rail expansion from downtown Phoenix and further west to ease the congestion on I-10, from downtown to.. say... 59th Ave? would be good. If you've driven on I-10 during the morning or afternoon rush hours, you'd understand why. But again, I'm not convinced 104 will solve congestion issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:31 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
This is one reason I don't like public transportation crime on NYC subways. Sleeping Woman Sexually Assaulted On NYC Subway, Bystander Videos Incident Instead Of Intervening

Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm not opposed to tax increases, IF the revenue is used properly. Everyone would like to see improvements in mass transit, and roads/freeways, but with the way Prop 104 is written, which specifies a number of items that it will supposedly improve, that's one reason I'm going to vote no on it.

The expansion of the light rail should be one proposition by itself, not a bunch of them lumped into one. When they say they'll allocate certain percentages to specific purposes, I can't trust them.
I see what you're saying, but didn't an advisory board made up of citizens of the community come up with the ratios in prop 104? At least that is how I understand it. If you feel so strongly that the direction it's going is so poor I would suggest getting involved. Myself? I know I don't have time to commit to it, and I'm also a bit of a realist, especially after spending 6 years on the East Coast. I know no matter what the prop says that money will get wasted, and this isn't unique to govt, I see this every day in the private sector I work in as well. Money gets wasted, things never go as planned, budgets get over ran, etc.. etc...

I think Phoenix will be worse off if this doesn't pass and I feel like they've managed to strike a decent balance for a comprehensive transportation plan. I think the problem with separating it out is that we all travel our own ways and as a region we either have to decide to support a diverse transportation plan or not. If this was entirely up to me, as an avid biker, I would move a lot more of the $ in this plan to dedicated bike lanes and would love to see a day where Phoenix supports strictly a non-auto centric transportation plan. But for now those in the community that are involved in these action groups have decided this is the best way to go.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This is one reason I don't like public transportation crime on NYC subways. Sleeping Woman Sexually Assaulted On NYC Subway, Bystander Videos Incident Instead Of Intervening
This is one reason I don't like driving on highways, rage runs high! Man in viral Arizona road rage video told police he was drinking

Old 07-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
A light rail expansion from downtown Phoenix and further west to ease the congestion on I-10, from downtown to.. say... 59th Ave? would be good. If you've driven on I-10 during the morning or afternoon rush hours, you'd understand why. But again, I'm not convinced 104 will solve congestion issues.
I'm pretty sure the extension you just mentioned is specifically part of the plan they're looking to fund in Prop 104. Here's the valley metro extension link: Providing Public Transportation Alternatives for the Greater Phoenix Metro Area | Valley Metro | Extensions

It looks like it goes a little bit further to that 83rd Ave Park/Ride lot.

I don't think 104 is designed to completely solve congestion issues, I don't even personally think that's possible. But I do see it as a catalyst to encouraging a growth strategy that Phoenix has never really integrated into it's plans before, grow up instead of out. If you don't think it works go drive along Apache in Tempe and see what is occurring there. Same story goes for the RoRo area in Central Phoenix. Now can I or anyone prove that this was entirely due to LRT? Of course not, but when you've got a city as sprawl focused as Phoenix you need to have some reasons to grow upward instead of outward, and this is clearly a key part of solving that puzzle.

Again, if I had to plan my own Prop 104 it would look much different than this, but I don't think they're asking for a ridiculous amount of money and I do think not passing this would do more harm than good. I might be in the minority but I do believe it's an investment that we've only begun to see the payback on for the initial line. I mean, damn, look how urbanized downtown Tempe has become in the last 10 years. Times, they are a changing...

Old 07-19-2015, 02:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,714,341 times
Much of being a good citizen is understanding the value of something, even if you don't happen to be using it at the moment - like, say, public transit, a decent school system, etc.

It's not all about what's useful to you personally.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Much of being a good citizen is understanding the value of something, even if you don't happen to be using it at the moment - like, say, public transit, a decent school system, etc.

It's not all about what's useful to you personally.
Very well-written.

It's the same attitude these people with ultraconservative mindsets have about nearly anything involving public funding, I don't use it so I shouldn't have to chip in and help pay for it.

Opponents of this proposition are only thinking of the short-term cost savings by voting against it but improved public transit will still be needed in the future, and by that time it will be even more expensive which will call for even higher taxes.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
The election booklet came in the mail yesterday. I am reading the ballot language for Prop 104 and see the following in the description:

"The revenues raised may be spent for activities including the following..."

If money is to be raised to expand light rail, bus routes and other transportation needs why not use the word "will" as opposed to "may". Sounds like a political bait and switch con. We're going to use this money for transportation needs....until something else pops up.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The election booklet came in the mail yesterday. I am reading the ballot language for Prop 104 and see the following in the description:

"The revenues raised may be spent for activities including the following..."

If money is to be raised to expand light rail, bus routes and other transportation needs why not use the word "will" as opposed to "may". Sounds like a political bait and switch con. We're going to use this money for transportation needs....until something else pops up.
It's legalese for don't sue us GWI.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Isn't that what the plan already is? Except farther west than you mentioned?

Valley Metro even says on their website:

Now that a preferred route and transit mode have been identified and approved, the Project will enter the environmental assessment phase which is a detailed analysis of how light rail would operate along the route. Early design work, including identifying station locations, is also expected to begin during this phase. Valley Metro and the City of Phoenix will continue to solicit community input as the project moves through the next phases. - See more at: Providing Public Transportation Alternatives for the Greater Phoenix Metro Area | Valley Metro | Project Detai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area