Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I

Nevada recently eliminated its solar power benefits.
And they've restored some of it, and this year in the legislature they are looking to bring most of it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If Phoenix was smart and wants to be unique, it would aim for Albuquerque's uniqueness, with LA's success in mind. PHX tries too hard to emulate other western cities, and its just not working, IMO. We're a Southwestern city, dang it. We're not a coastal city. Why not thrive on that fact and aim to make this place a Southwestern gem? We don't need to look or emulate San Diego or LA. People come to AZ on vacation and want the whole SW experience. That's why places like the Four Seasons, etc, are such huge draws. Same goes for Santa Fe and Sedona. I don't see a ton of people coming to AZ to stay downtown Phoenix on purpose (unless theyre in for a conference or sports game). They usually choose the unique resorts, places that are different than where they come from. I remember vacationing here and despising coming into Phoenix, but absolutely adoring places like Carefree/Cave Creek. They hold and retain that Southwestern charm that everyone here is seemingly trying to abandon. I just don't get it. That's why places like Tucson feel far more Western/Southwestern than Phoenix. They realize they have a good thing and people there cherish it. It seems like people in PHX despise it.
I'm puzzled why you want Phoenix to be like Albuquerque because there's not much happening there, and I think many people wouldn't want Phoenix to replicate Los Angeles for different reasons.

I don't think people in Phoenix are trying to abandon the southwestern charm, it's dwindling on its own because the city has gotten so big.

Tucson is a much smaller city and able to retain the laid-back southwestern vibe better than Phoenix can.

Another reason is the part of the state Tucson is in, it has a richer southwestern heritage and more of a Mexican influence too, it was even part of Mexico before 1854.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM

369 posts, read 269,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
You speak of diversity in your posts, yet your above response seems to exclude certain people and cultures.

You know all about Arizona? All about the Phoenix area? All about Wyoming? All about others on C-D?

Are you aware that you responded to me instead of the person I was responding to? You seem to look down on Arizonans you've never met, and people and areas you seriously don't know about and apparently don't care to know much about.

I've lived in Arizona all my life. I don't know you. You know all about me? You know all about John Wayne, and his influence? Explain it to us.
What’s to explain? I’ve lived in Arizona 23 years, that’s nearly all my life. In all that time I’ve never ever heard anybody else use words like podnuh in a normal conversation.

No I don’t know you but in your long reply to me you never did answer my question, where is this cowboy and rodeo stuff in or around Phoenix? Maybe it was common here a long time ago but I hardly ever see it now.

I've been through Wyoming many times and it's much more of a cowboy culture up there than here. That's why I suggested moving there if it's such a big deal to you. Sorry you got so offended.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM

369 posts, read 269,665 times
Default I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm puzzled why you want Phoenix to be like Albuquerque because there's not much happening there, and I think many people wouldn't want Phoenix to replicate Los Angeles for different reasons.

I don't think people in Phoenix are trying to abandon the southwestern charm, it's dwindling on its own because the city has gotten so big.

Tucson is a much smaller city and able to retain the laid-back southwestern vibe better than Phoenix can.

Another reason is the part of the state Tucson is in, it has a richer southwestern heritage and more of a Mexican influence too, it was even part of Mexico before 1854.
Tucson area has more of that old west culture it seems. More back roads and horse trails around there and not as built up as Phoenix is.

The Valley of the sun is way too big for the cowboy thing so maybe our cowboy wanna-be that uses words like podnuh would fit in better down Tucson way.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

I didn't say I wanted PHX to strive for ABQ's crappy economical status. I made it clear that PHX should strive to be like LA (huge, diverse economy that attracts Fortune 500 companies out the wazoo). I said PHX should retain its Southwestern roots and amplify them like ABQ does. ABQ is so unique and has such cool cultural characteristics and they take pride in them. Here in PHX it seems like we shun the Southwest and try to make it CA, which doesn't make us unique, really.

Tucson even goes so far to have rattlesnake-inspired pedestrian bridges. So cool.
http://blog.americansforthearts.org/...ridge_02_0.JPG

Old 02-23-2017, 10:06 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
I said PHX should retain its Southwestern roots and amplify them like ABQ does. ABQ is so unique and has such cool cultural characteristics and they take pride in them. Here in PHX it seems like we shun the Southwest and try to make it CA, which doesn't make us unique, really.
I was thinking about that recently and was wondering if it had to do with the seer size of the Phoenix metroplex and as it keeps getting bigger it loses any little identity it ever had. It's interesting comparing Arizona and New Mexico, and while both have that southwestern feel with a mix of Hispanic culture and Native American culture, whenever I'm in New Mexico it just feels different especially with regards to Native American Culture, IMO.

I realize there are large reservations in Arizona, especially the ginormous northeast corner of the state, but I think due to the relative small size of Albuquerque/Santa Fe as compared to the Phoenix metroplex and to a lesser extant Tucson, the Native American vibe is a lot stronger in New Mexico as compared to Arizona.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was thinking about that recently and was wondering if it had to do with the seer size of the Phoenix metroplex and as it keeps getting bigger it loses any little identity it ever had. It's interesting comparing Arizona and New Mexico, and while both have that southwestern feel with a mix of Hispanic culture and Native American culture, whenever I'm in New Mexico it just feels different especially with regards to Native American Culture, IMO.

I realize there are large reservations in Arizona, especially the ginormous northeast corner of the state, but I think due to the relative small size of Albuquerque/Santa Fe as compared to the Phoenix metroplex and to a lesser extant Tucson, the Native American vibe is a lot stronger in New Mexico as compared to Arizona.
A lot of it is history.

Phoenix was founded at the confluence of seasonal streams and rivers which made great for out of state interests to form private canal cooperatives and irrigate land.

It's green for that reason. It's not southwestern "vibe" because it's not some historical pueblo where generations of native people have resided, it's a place where big$$$ was to be made because of fertile soil and water. Because big$$$ was made here, it overtook Prescott/Tucson as the State capital and is now the bread and butter for the State.

The best representation of a large city retaining southwestern vibe in Arizona is Tucson, which is much more like Albuquerque. It's almost Albuquerque's older/bigger brother.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The best representation of a large city retaining southwestern vibe in Arizona is Tucson, which is much more like Albuquerque. It's almost Albuquerque's older/bigger brother.
Having lived in Tucson and been to Albuquerque numerous times, I was thinking mostly of the Native American vibe, which I feel is a lot stronger in the Duke City as compared to the old Pueblo. And just overall, I feel New Mexico has a stronger Native American vibe throughout the state (probably due to history), even though Arizona has a tremendous amount of reservation land and Native Americans, again just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A lot of it is history.

Phoenix was founded at the confluence of seasonal streams and rivers which made great for out of state interests to form private canal cooperatives and irrigate land.

It's green for that reason. It's not southwestern "vibe" because it's not some historical pueblo where generations of native people have resided, it's a place where big$$$ was to be made because of fertile soil and water. Because big$$$ was made here, it overtook Prescott/Tucson as the State capital and is now the bread and butter for the State.

Yes, Phoenix really has more in common with southern CA than it does the old Western heritage of what made Arizona famous many years ago. Of course, there are still some of these attractions near Phoenix, primarily in the far east Valley (Apache Junction area), and perhaps if you want to include something lame like Rawhide ... however, the days of the Wild West are long gone.

I definitely agree about Tucson retaining more of a Western culture. In that general area are many historic attractions such as San Xavier del Bac, Old Tucson Studios, Tombstone, and Bisbee ... all containing lots of the old Western culture. A drive through a large part of SE Arizona feels like the Old West, much more than anywhere around the Phoenix area.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
I didn't say I wanted PHX to strive for ABQ's crappy economical status. I made it clear that PHX should strive to be like LA (huge, diverse economy that attracts Fortune 500 companies out the wazoo). I said PHX should retain its Southwestern roots and amplify them like ABQ does. ABQ is so unique and has such cool cultural characteristics and they take pride in them. Here in PHX it seems like we shun the Southwest and try to make it CA, which doesn't make us unique, really.

Tucson even goes so far to have rattlesnake-inspired pedestrian bridges. So cool.
http://blog.americansforthearts.org/...ridge_02_0.JPG
On one hand you want Phoenix to strive to be like Los Angeles but on the other hand you're against Phoenix shunning the southwestern culture to be like California?

Pardon my confusion but this reads like double talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area