Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well I think FDA stands for f'n dork ass. That's a start. lol
Do tell ladmo, I want some good theories, you know I'll appreciate it.

Your funny Twiggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Did you read my whole post?
I know it's almost impossible to find American food, that's why I asked for help in finding somewhere that still sells it, not insults. I am gathering you don't know either! But that bang your getting with your buck is going to lower your wages and your health. Food for thought!
Your question is being misdirected IMO - you should ask the manufactuers where and why -

Procter and Gamble - General Mills - those mfgs -

BTW - my wages are not being lowered because of the products I buy - nor my health

Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your question is being misdirected IMO - you should ask the manufactures where and why -

Procter and Gamble - General Mills - those mfgs -

BTW - my wages are not being lowered because of the products I buy - nor my health
Well I will call them and tell them I just can't stop buying your crap so if you would be so kind as to fix it for me on good merit I would appreciate it.
I have a feeling they would say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" .
So, I'm just trying to "not buy it".
So far Trader Joes, and Whole foods. I'm glad to see that I can shop somewhere.
Someone with a business sense open a store that is all American grown and made for me. Please!!!!!!
I would advertise it, I promise.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,216 times
Quote:
Well I will call them and tell them I just can't stop buying your crap so if you would be so kind as to fix it for me on good merit I would appreciate it.
I have a feeling they would say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" .
So, I'm just trying to "not buy it".
So far Trader Joes, and Whole foods. I'm glad to see that I can shop somewhere.
Someone with a business sense open a store that is all American grown and made for me. Please!!!!!!
I would advertise it, I promise.
It will be a little more work for you, but you could go to local farmer's markets. I know there are several on Saturdays in downtown Phoenix and other areas. I don't think it's more expensive than places like TJ's or Whole Foods for produce, but the quality will be the same, if not better. The selection might not be as good either, but if you go to some of the bigger ones, you should find lots of stuff. Not only will you be supporting produce grown in the US, but you'll be supporting AZ produce.

I can't stand produce from Walmart. I try to go to other grocery stores for fresh veggies and fruit because every time I've bought from Walmart, unless I eat it the same day, it goes bad. Whenever I buy something like strawberries, I always inspect it to make sure there's no mold and they look healthy. I've done that at Walmart, and the strawberries were moldy the next day. What's the point of saving money if you either lose what you bought, or have to go back every day because they go bad despite refrigeration? I do sometimes buy free range eggs and milk there. I'm glad they at least offer that. I figure that animals that are allowed to live a somewhat normal life produce healthier bi-products.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
It will be a little more work for you, but you could go to local farmer's markets. I know there are several on Saturdays in downtown Phoenix and other areas. I don't think it's more expensive than places like TJ's or Whole Foods for produce, but the quality will be the same, if not better. The selection might not be as good either, but if you go to some of the bigger ones, you should find lots of stuff. Not only will you be supporting produce grown in the US, but you'll be supporting AZ produce.

I can't stand produce from Walmart. I try to go to other grocery stores for fresh veggies and fruit because every time I've bought from Walmart, unless I eat it the same day, it goes bad. Whenever I buy something like strawberries, I always inspect it to make sure there's no mold and they look healthy. I've done that at Walmart, and the strawberries were moldy the next day. What's the point of saving money if you either lose what you bought, or have to go back every day because they go bad despite refrigeration? I do sometimes buy free range eggs and milk there. I'm glad they at least offer that. I figure that animals that are allowed to live a somewhat normal life produce healthier bi-products.
Thanks for this info. I really didn't think about farmers markets here. Didn't think we could grow anything but cotton. LOL I will check these out. I really do want to support local grown.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,216 times
Quote:
Thanks for this info. I really didn't think about farmers markets here. Didn't think we could grow anything but cotton. LOL I will check these out. I really do want to support local grown.
Some people even hold little farmer's markets in their backyards. Some things are difficult to grow here, such as tomatoes, but a lot can be grown with a green thumb and some patience

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,768 times
Default Just Say No to Walmart....

Quote:
I loved Smithy's pizza!!!!
I try not to shop at China, I mean Wal-mart. If I wanted to raise my kids on Chinese food I would have moved there. Hard to shop anywhere anymore, I just found out most (90%) of our apple juice is made from concentrate from China! I have a hard time with this. Do you know where you can buy pure American made groceries anymore? Most of our companies still order there basic contents from China and India, even if it is distributed from the U.S., so you can't tell by looking at the label. It's so frustrating! Any help would be appreciated. I'll gladly buy less of American instead of gorge myself in Chinese. Does everyone realize there are no health / environment standards where our food is grown in China. NONE! Have you ever looked into the land content where our ingredient is grown? It's really bad. Warning: Looking into the food we consume will be damaging to your brain. lol
Walmart has far more wrong with it than carrying products from China...most everyone carries China products. To get away from that horror you have to research brands...and it is not enough to check the labels ...products may be owned by US Companies but produced out of the country, meaning most of our money is still going into someone elses pot and not the U.S., not to mention we are supporting cheap labor and less jobs for Americans. Walmart began as an American Company and gained early publicity based on its support of Americans and domestic products.....so very far from the truth today. They are kings at exploitation! Child labor, dirt wages, etc...you have heard the hype Im sure.

Anyway, research, some truly American products are Colgate and Crest, New Balance, Paper mate, and Irish Springs..and some non American made products are Jergens, Levies (they closed all of their US factories) Lee, Wrangler, and Nike (try to find affordable usa jeans!) ..It will take some work but most of us are creatures of habit and once the initial plan is in place it is really easy. I for one pass vegetable stands daily....and even a raw milk farm! It has taken me a while to incorporate these stops into my routine but now its really easy and I know my money for at least these products are going to real Americans on real American soil owned by Americans not Farms owned by corporations. As far as grocery stores vs. superstores... I spend less when I go to a grocery store as there is less temptation to look at other items "on sale" and I am usually more successful at finding odd items that I may need...prices....they balance out, some are lower, some the same, and some higher. Try on-line as well for some things.

....and just for the record...yeah, pay attention to prices, but don't forget paying a little more for a product that is made and packaged here is an investment to our lives...that keeps Americans employed and tax dollars here where they are used for education, roads, parks, and social services vs. another countries taxes where many of the people working for slave wages to produce the products that just saved you .10 benefit nothing but their governments can purchase more weapons and produce more propaganda!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here is the problem with your comments above as I see them: You don't like WalMart grocery because of the China thing. YET, the very same products you buy, at another grocery store, at a higher price (probably) come from - guess where? Yep - China -

WalMart sells the same name brands that everyone else does.

I buy my groceries where I get the "most bang for the buck"

Walmart & China ...your are correct of course, but to really get more bang for your buck ...BUY AMERICAN, and that does mean being very careful at Walmart as they have a strong relationship with getting the biggest bang for their buck as well which includes buying products overseas from corporations employing slave labor and children....you know the hype I'm sure. Instead pay 10 more cents and buy Made and Produced in the USA and give your money back to the US where you will be supporting American Jobs, and your tax dollars will support better education, social services, roads, parks, health care....etc...vs. the alternative of supporting governments in China, Japan, Taiwan, etc....let them support themselves.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Moderator cut: copyrighted image

PAY UP!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-23-2009 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: copyrighted image

Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM

24,480 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Dang, another almost 2 year old thread that should have dies is brought to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area