Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 AM

11 posts, read 17,098 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for twenty years and in Phoenix for nine years, by CHOICE. I was not financially forced to move to Phoenix, which is the main belief (possibly true) people have about LA transplant living in Phoenix. Some Phoenicians are seen as bitter valley residents who could not hack it in LA and now they are a group bitter and jealous people dying to get back to LA, only if they could afford to. This does not apply to me, so I figured I would give the the most objective opinion possible and shed a little light on the flaws of LA, because many Los Angelenos believe LA in con free; and if you see anything wrong with it you are crazy.

I sold my L.A. home for a large gain, bought three rentals in the Mid-West and make a good sum of money. My wife is an RN and I teach,

I live in a brand new 3400 sq ft house on a 17k sq ft lot. I have a real theater room and 96 inch windows that make up the back of my house with a view of the mountain less than four hundred meters from my house, downtown Phoenix, and all of the other mountains that comprise the valley. I have an observation deck that overlooks everything. I watch the sunsets and planes take-off from Phoenix Harbor Airport with my 3 year old as the sun goes down. I have 8 ft doorways throughout and 10 foot arches in the hall ways. It is all single story with 15 feet ceilings. French doors off of the master, kit and Family room leading to the back yard with views of the city; I have french doors off of the study leading to the front court-yard. The Kitchen has an island and stainless steel appliances. It is an open floor plan with an enclosed court-yard in the front of the house. We are in the process of completing our backyard with the pool, trellis, gas grill and bar, and fire pit with sitting wall, playground, along with a garden for my wife. I am not going to talk about my 3 car attached garage, master bedroom w/ an enormous closet, pendant lights, floors et al....you get the point.

It is a five minute bike ride to L.A. fitness. It takes me and my wife two minutes to get to the bike trail (view of city and mountains). It takes my 12-15 minutes to get downtown. Things I have done Children's museum, Science Center, Heard Museum, City Scape, D'Backs, Coyotes, Cardinals and Phoenix Suns. Comedy Club, shopping, Dodge Theater, Canyon Lake, Salt River, First Friday's arts displays, restaurants, Civic Center; all the things L.A. but smaller and less of them. 10 minutes to the airport, 18 minutes to school (15 minutes for my wife to her job). The Mesa Natural Museum of History and Science. The Lost Dutchman mine at Superstition Mountain; with in a two hour drive: Jerome, Sedona: slide rock and hiking, Flagstaff (skiing), Camp Verde Wild Animal tour, Tuscon resort, Tombstone, the Biosphere. I have done the Phoenix Zoo, Payson Camping (with pines) Tempe Lake, the Circus, Prescott park in the mid-summer, ATV riding just north of the city (AWESOME) entertainers, Scottsdale Clubs blah blah blah. Oh and I drive 280 mile to Vegas for fun just like SoCal people. And I was at Santa Monica pier Friday, Old Town Pasadena Thursday, Magic Mountain Saturday, Griffith Today. I come to LA ANYTIME I need my jones filled.

The freeways are SMOOTH and free from graffiti. My daughter went to a top notch school (Chandler School District), never had to pick her up or drop her off . My little one will be in the Kyrene School district. Everything is so CLEAN and new. Chandler Fashion Square and San Tan Village, Scottsdale Fashion Mall, Arizona Mills, Tempe Market Place, Westgate in Glendale, The Phoenix Premium Outlet, and the Biltmore........ so clean from filth and riff rafts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,708 times
Really?

Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
I can't stand the summers in L.A. unless I have time for the beach. Can't imagine Phoenix..

Old 12-20-2017, 05:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Cool story, bro.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
cool story, bro.

lmao....you're so funny.....(yawn)

Old 12-20-2017, 07:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Nothing could make me want to live in a place where the average high in the summer is north of 105 degrees.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Left LA , don't want to go back yet feel the need to justify themselves with huge 5 paragraph post on LA forum for a bunch of people who could care less

Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Left LA , don't want to go back yet feel the need to justify themselves with huge 5 paragraph post on LA forum for a bunch of people who could care less
don't forget it's post #1

Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 AM

850 posts, read 796,912 times
What do you do for fun when it hits 115. Summers in Arizona are the worst and everyone stays inside whereas in LA everyone is outside.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
This will sound like sour grapes but is absolutely true: I would have no interest in your house even if I could afford it or it was given to me. I grew up in a 3600-sq ft house, and would never want to live in such a big place again. Just too much wasted space. By the time we were down to three people living there, we only used a third of it.

Now, interior design and home improvements don't interest me in the least, I don't have a lot of stuff, and we don't host big parties. I just want my house to be a cozy space. On the other hand, I love the outdoors and the beach, so mild weather for outdoor activities like hiking and biking is a priority for me.

I think it's great that you have a big, modern house in Phoenix that you love, but I'm not tempted at all. Phoenix is too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area