Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 AM

13,774 posts, read 8,019,999 times

Advertisements

[quote=Arizona Desert Rat;50450439]I lived in LA for twenty years and in Phoenix for nine years, by CHOICE. I was not financially forced to move to Phoenix, which is the main belief (possibly true) people have about LA transplant living in Phoenix. Some Phoenicians are seen as bitter valley residents who could not hack it in LA and now they are a group bitter and jealous people dying to get back to LA, only if they could afford to. This does not apply to me, so I figured I would give the the most objective opinion possible and shed a little light on the flaws of LA, because many Los Angelenos believe LA in con free; and if you see anything wrong with it you are crazy.

I sold my L.A. home for a large gain, bought three rentals in the Mid-West and make a good sum of money. My wife is an RN and I teach,

I live in a brand new 3400 sq ft house on a 17k sq ft lot. I have a real theater room and 96 inch windows that make up the back of my house with a view of the mountain less than four hundred meters from my house, downtown Phoenix, and all of the other mountains that comprise the valley. I have an observation deck that overlooks everything. I watch the sunsets and planes take-off from Phoenix Harbor Airport with my 3 year old as the sun goes down. I have 8 ft doorways throughout and 10 foot arches in the hall ways. It is all single story with 15 feet ceilings. French doors off of the master, kit and Family room leading to the back yard with views of the city; I have french doors off of the study leading to the front court-yard. The Kitchen has an island and stainless steel appliances. It is an open floor plan with an enclosed court-yard in the front of the house. We are in the process of completing our backyard with the pool, trellis, gas grill and bar, and fire pit with sitting wall, playground, along with a garden for my wife. I am not going to talk about my 3 car attached garage, master bedroom w/ an enormous closet, pendant lights, floors et al....you get the point.

It is a five minute bike ride to L.A. fitness. It takes me and my wife two minutes to get to the bike trail (view of city and mountains). It takes my 12-15 minutes to get downtown. Things I have done Children's museum, Science Center, Heard Museum, City Scape, D'Backs, Coyotes, Cardinals and Phoenix Suns. Comedy Club, shopping, Dodge Theater, Canyon Lake, Salt River, First Friday's arts displays, restaurants, Civic Center; all the things L.A. but smaller and less of them. 10 minutes to the airport, 18 minutes to school (15 minutes for my wife to her job). The Mesa Natural Museum of History and Science. The Lost Dutchman mine at Superstition Mountain; with in a two hour drive: Jerome, Sedona: slide rock and hiking, Flagstaff (skiing), Camp Verde Wild Animal tour, Tuscon resort, Tombstone, the Biosphere. I have done the Phoenix Zoo, Payson Camping (with pines) Tempe Lake, the Circus, Prescott park in the mid-summer, ATV riding just north of the city (AWESOME) entertainers, Scottsdale Clubs blah blah blah. Oh and I drive 280 mile to Vegas for fun just like SoCal people. And I was at Santa Monica pier Friday, Old Town Pasadena Thursday, Magic Mountain Saturday, Griffith Today. I come to LA ANYTIME I need my jones filled.

The freeways are SMOOTH and free from graffiti. My daughter went to a top notch school (Chandler School District), never had to pick her up or drop her off . My little one will be in the Kyrene School district. Everything is so CLEAN and new. Chandler Fashion Square and San Tan Village, Scottsdale Fashion Mall, Arizona Mills, Tempe Market Place, Westgate in Glendale, The Phoenix Premium Outlet, and the Biltmore........ so clean from filth and riff rafts.[/QUOTE]

One of the first things I noticed coming from Southern Cal to the Phx metro was how little graffiti I saw driving the freeways compared with S. Cal.

I'm in East Mesa between Power and Recker. Which isn't Chandler or Gilbert but is quite safe and clean.

I've spent 20 years in San Francisco and 10 in San Diego. SF is great if you're single and earning big bucks. SD is fine if you like the beach and Southern Cal vibe. However, 100 grand doesn't get you much past 1st base in either city nymore. You've got to be earning that big loot.

But a couple with two children can have a pretty good lifestyle in say Gilbert on 75-80 grand a years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 01:50 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
I'm not blind to California's serious flaws, but this post comes off as very braggish to me.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:57 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Desert Rat View Post
They name drop and feel good about themselves.
I'm sure some people do, indeed, name drop to feel good about themselves. But I suspect you're not much different. You gave us every booooooring detail about the dimensions of your house, the mountain and downtown views, how nice and new everything is, the 8 foot entryways or whatever....blah, blah, blah...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I can't help but think you're doing the same thing you accuse other people of doing.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As who calls it? Not the natives.

I'm in South OC now, but I lived in La Habra for 26 years and while it wasn't affluent, it was not nearly as bad as I usually hear it painted. It was fine, and the part I lived in was very safe. Never had any problems there.
Almost every person I know who live in OC (that is quite a few) calls it "The OC." Your experience may vary.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Almost every person I know who live in OC (that is quite a few) calls it "The OC." Your experience may vary.
It certainly does. I have never heard a single native say "the OC," and I've lived here almost 50 years. You can peruse the OC forum and readily note that it is only out-of-towners who use the terms "the OC" and "Cali." But this topic is well covered over there so better not to get off topic here.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I have a small bungalow-type home here. It's not because I can't have anything larger (I could), but I don't feel this need to have a gargantuan house when there's so much else going on outside of my home that I can partake in (museums, galleries, year-round farmers markets, festivals, hiking, educational activities).

Yes, it gets hot here too.

But the key difference here is "need".

People who are drawn to Phoenix have a very clear need to show that they have money. They want to show that they have things in life that think give them supposed "status". No thanks.

One of the most awful places I've ever had the misfortune of visiting was Scottsdale. That place is fake, superficial, bland and extremely racist.

That "I'm gonna show you" schtick gets pretty damn old, real quick, to people that have other priorities in life.
Seek professional help.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:56 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
One of the first things I noticed coming from Southern Cal to the Phx metro was how little graffiti I saw driving the freeways compared with S. Cal.
Yes. And how little garbage. Contrast that with 101 through the Bay Area. Years worth of litter, graffiti, dead animals...

Somebody high up in ADOT, I guess, subscribes to the "broken windows" theory. If you don't pick up litter and eradicate graffiti, you get more of it.

It's called pride. Such a refreshing change from California.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes. And how little garbage. Contrast that with 101 through the Bay Area. Years worth of litter, graffiti, dead animals...

Somebody high up in ADOT, I guess, subscribes to the "broken windows" theory. If you don't pick up litter and eradicate graffiti, you get more of it.

It's called pride. Such a refreshing change from California.
I lived in Northern Cal for 35 years ( mainly because of a good job). I remember my brother coming to visit and I did the obligatory tour of San Francisco. Of course, it has some interesting areas, especially for a tourist.
But his overall opinion was “my God this place is FILTHY AND LITTERED.”

Old 12-23-2017, 11:34 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Compared to Ca Az fwys are like driving in a new beautiful world. No pot holes or bumpy roads smooth as glass. No graffiti or 6 ft tall weeds and dead plants. No traffic compared to here. Relaxed friendly drivers. Nice desert plantings and decorative walls. Low gas prices. No homeless tents. I really hope Az doesn't turn into Ca East

Old 12-23-2017, 05:20 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Desert Rat View Post
Everything is so CLEAN and new. Chandler Fashion Square and San Tan Village, Scottsdale Fashion Mall, Arizona Mills, Tempe Market Place, Westgate in Glendale, The Phoenix Premium Outlet, and the Biltmore........ so clean from filth and riff rafts.
I hope you don't honestly think everything is going to be clean and new forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area