Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Very true, but I nearly broke my back shoveling snow for my elderly relatives during the holidays. I have no idea how to operate a snow blower (or have any desire to learn... ).

Also, Chicago is outrageous expensive. My relative's house is worth less than my house, but property tax is 4 times as much. Everything is more expensive in Chicago. For example, I had to file some real estate deeds for my relatives, at $50 per pop. In Phoenix...only $15.

So overall I'll take Phoenix and the heat over Chicago. I can use my savings to visit Chicago for the twice a year visit and enjoy the cheap cost of living here.
Yes, taxes there are bad for sure. Housing prices are comparable to here. Regarding shoveling, if you played your cards right like me, you never had to shovel, the apartments or HOA did that for you.

I prefer the heat over the mega cold, too, but the heat here just lasts too long and is too intense. I think everyone has the right to complain, just like Chicagoans do about their winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
We didn't have a freeze this year, which exacerbated the problem. First freeze is the typical end of an allergy season.
We never have a real freeze here, not enough to "turn off" allergy season.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We never have a real freeze here, not enough to "turn off" allergy season.
Note that I said first freeze, not first hard freeze. This is the standard used by doctors in determining allergy season. It doesn't mean allergies can't occur outside the bounds.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Note that I said first freeze, not first hard freeze. This is the standard used by doctors in determining allergy season.
Right. Phoenix generally doesn't get either of them.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Right. Phoenix generally doesn't get either of them.
So why does the NWS issue freeze warnings then? While we didn't get any freeze warnings this winter, other winters we have, and they are not as rare as you think.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:31 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
So why does the NWS issue freeze warnings then? While we didn't get any freeze warnings this winter, other winters we have, and they are not as rare as you think.
We get freezes almost every year. This year we came close 3 nights, but didn't hit the freezing mark. I remember like 5-6 years ago we had that super cold snap where I think it was 4 nights that got well below freezing. My in-laws lost all their palms, etc, due to the freezing temps.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon55 View Post
I'm gonna use the word that's prob the elephant in the room global warming. I've lived in AZ for 25 years I can't even remember it getting this warm in Jan or feb the past couple years its been in the 80s and 90s in Feb we used to be able to brag that we had 3 months of bad weather but the rest was beautiful cool weather I guess no more bragging rights

*rant finished*
No idea why it’s a white elephant at this point, the statistics clearly show it’s warming and the impact is clearly global. Year after year the planet is recording record high temps, our impact so far has mainly been inconvenience, meanwhile in other areas mega storms have cost millions in dollars and thousands of lives. I think it would do the country and world good to talk about it more openly.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:18 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Totally agree with those "winter" temps. 80's, upper 80's in February, RIDICULOUS!
One or two 80 degree temps in Phoenix during December, January, or February are fine, and actually not too unusual ... however, when it's consistently above normal and/or tying & breaking records during much of the winter is when it becomes monotonous & concerning. The main thing I'm concerned about is the lack of moisture. Not only have we had very little rain this winter, the high country has little or no snow. Most of the western U.S. has a reduced snowpack so far, which is going to translate to limited runoff for the water supplies, and possibly a horrible fire season ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
No idea why it’s a white elephant at this point, the statistics clearly show it’s warming and the impact is clearly global. Year after year the planet is recording record high temps, our impact so far has mainly been inconvenience, meanwhile in other areas mega storms have cost millions in dollars and thousands of lives. I think it would do the country and world good to talk about it more openly.
Well, most people say that we can't change the weather, which is somewhat true ... so while you're correct that there is a certain amount of global warming, what can we as humans really DO about it? I really resent the way global warming has turned into a heated political issue. The fact is that global warming (and cooling) are natural cyclical occurrences. Humans have little or nothing to do with these climatic cycles. What we should be doing instead is trying to reduce the urban heat island effect in large metro areas like Phoenix. There is no doubt that UHIs are human caused.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
One or two 80 degree temps in Phoenix during December, January, or February are fine, and actually not too unusual ... however, when it's consistently above normal and/or tying & breaking records during much of the winter is when it becomes monotonous & concerning. The main thing I'm concerned about is the lack of moisture. Not only have we had very little rain this winter, the high country has little or no snow. Most of the western U.S. has a reduced snowpack so far, which is going to translate to limited runoff for the water supplies, and possibly a horrible fire season ahead.

Well, most people say that we can't change the weather, which is somewhat true ... so while you're correct that there is a certain amount of global warming, what can we as humans really DO about it? I really resent the way global warming has turned into a heated political issue. The fact is that global warming (and cooling) are natural cyclical occurrences. Humans have little or nothing to do with these climatic cycles. What we should be doing instead is trying to reduce the urban heat island effect in large metro areas like Phoenix. There is no doubt that UHIs are human caused.
Climate change is only political because a certain group of people choose to believe in some conspiracy theory that the notion of human impact on climate change is some sort of evil plot. It’s been widely proven that humans have a direct impact on the heat trapping characteristics of the atmosphere.

It’s ironic that those that tend to believe in some all-mighty sky wizard think scientists are the ones that have lied to them. Soon enough, the climate change deniers and flat-earthers will hold joint conventions.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Winter isn't even in a Phoenician's vocabulary what are you talking about haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area