Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Maybe it's just me but I actually don't think this summer's been that bad compared to other ones I've experienced here. Last year's was even better but the couple years before seemed much more oppressive. I would have liked to have seen some more monsoon rains, though.
I actually agree. It was mild early and it’s been hot recently but it doesn’t feel oppressive for some reason. It was actually really nice this morning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Or slip and break your hip on it.
Or scrape it off your windshield.
Or drive off the road in sub zero temps. Or get claustrophobia because you can't drive anywhere. Even if it's 114 you can still drive, park, and go places.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:28 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
I was in PHX from Monday to Thursday checking in on our place. The description of PHX heat where you stick your head in the oven is a great analogy. My wife was complaining 10 times how she could not live here year round. She wanted the air conditioning at 75 or less and dreaded leaving the house. All of this is subjective of course. Some can handle the heat better than the cold and he other way around.

That said, we stayed at some friends in Pacific Palisades (LA) a few days earlier. They had PERFECT weather! Biking on Malibu beach felt amazing and the beaches were glorious. But the cost per square foot in Pacific Palisades is "only" $1200 a square foot or 4 times the price Scottsdale. Chump change! https://www.zillow.com/pacific-palis...a/home-values/

We are back in norther MN. Temps are in the low 80's and sunny for the next 10 days. I was going to go down to one home in the next year or so. Nope! PHX year round ain't happening.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM

61 posts, read 49,016 times
People would be crazy to move here considering global warming.[/quote]

I'm one of those people who is considering moving to Phoenix, and yes I do question my sanity.
Then, again, where I live in Southern Oregon, four out of the last six summers were blighted by smoke from wildfires, some as far away as British Columbia. In the Bay area, another place I've considered moving to, rising ocean levels and/or flooding from "100 year storms" could make large swaths of land uninhabitable--partly due to insurance no longer being offered at affordable rates. Pretty much all coastal areas in the United States are susceptible to the havoc that global climate change is forecast to bring upon those areas, if you believe the models.

This appears to be the future. I'm retired, so I would have the luxury of getting out of Phoenix during the summer, but one certainly has to question the sustainability of the area, long-term. Phoenicians may be following in the footsteps of the Hohokam peoples in future years.

Sorry to sound so doom and gloom, but bury our heads in the sand at our own peril.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:27 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
IMO...

Daytime in summer here is already unbearable. While another couple degrees C certainly isn't a welcome thought, I can't imagine that's enough to affect decisions about where to move, at least for many people.

Coastal areas are a different story of course. Being above or below mean sea level is a big difference!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:36 PM

61 posts, read 49,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
IMO...

Daytime in summer here is already unbearable. While another couple degrees C certainly isn't a welcome thought, I can't imagine that's enough to affect decisions about where to move, at least for many people.

Coastal areas are a different story of course. Being above or below mean sea level is a big difference!
I think you're right about temperatures. New Baghdad will still be populated. IF there is enough water. And I concede that's a topic that has been beaten to death on this forum. Unfortunately, AZ, like all of the Western US, depends on snow melt for its water supply. And if the snow goes away, so go the people. Can't get around that.

The good news is our current President has a solution in mind. We will all relocate to Greenland. Or, back to Minnesota and Chicago.

Last edited by Mac58; 08-16-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,258,060 times
50 50 chance this thread would head towards discussing climate change or having to drink your own urine.

So.. has anyone had to drink their own urine?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I was in PHX from Monday to Thursday checking in on our place. The description of PHX heat where you stick your head in the oven is a great analogy. My wife was complaining 10 times how she could not live here year round. She wanted the air conditioning at 75 or less and dreaded leaving the house. All of this is subjective of course. Some can handle the heat better than the cold and he other way around.

That said, we stayed at some friends in Pacific Palisades (LA) a few days earlier. They had PERFECT weather! Biking on Malibu beach felt amazing and the beaches were glorious. But the cost per square foot in Pacific Palisades is "only" $1200 a square foot or 4 times the price Scottsdale. Chump change! https://www.zillow.com/pacific-palis...a/home-values/

We are back in norther MN. Temps are in the low 80's and sunny for the next 10 days. I was going to go down to one home in the next year or so. Nope! PHX year round ain't happening.

Don't worry, Northern MN is all yours, I won't be invading your territory regardless of the time of year. Enjoy the 80's, I'll be here in AZ also in the 80's.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
50 50 chance this thread would head towards discussing climate change or having to drink your own urine.

So.. has anyone had to drink their own urine?

Must be a Colorado thing, here we've got plenty of Cervezas and Margaritas.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I was in PHX from Monday to Thursday checking in on our place. The description of PHX heat where you stick your head in the oven is a great analogy. My wife was complaining 10 times how she could not live here year round.
Monday and Tuesday were nice days for August. I was up early to walk the dogs on both mornings. The car thermometer read 78 F when we started at around 5:30 each day, and subjectively I found it very pleasant. Wednesday and Thursday were hot during the day, but mornings were not bad.

I looked up the average dewpoints, which were 42F, 44F, 40F, and 37F (for M-Th). During monsoonal weather these routinely go up into the 60s, and sometimes even the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area