Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,139 times

Advertisements

Sunflower Market is my favorite...but thats in Tempe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillefan View Post
Speaking of Trader Joe's...do they have a health section there? I have never been fortunate enough to get to one only heard about how great they are. I know they carry a lot of organics, but was wondering if they sell natural healthcare products like Whole Foods?
They sure do carry organics and health foods! Trader Joe's has better prices than Whole Foods Market, and that particularly goes for wine, e.g. "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw) wines at $1.99 and surprisingly good even when compared with $10-$12 wine.

I'm seriously considering relocating (which is why I'm reading the Phoenix section) and I've pretty much decided to consider only towns that have a Trader Joe's Market. They're that good!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
There are a lot of Trader Joe's so your in luck here. Fresh n easy is called Fresh and stinky at my house, the kids hate it. I like Fry's Market Place. They are on almost every corner so you won't have a problem. I don't do walmart, I do do Tarjay. Our Walmart stinks, really smells terrible, I can't even buy food there. lol Welcome to the valley.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
just wondering what are the best grocery stores in phoenix, besides superwalmart, costco, and sams club
Well, I'm from Buffalo where we have Wegman's so there isn't one grocery store that can hold a candle to them here in Phoenix. However, with that said, you will be able to find some really nice ones scattered about. AJ's has super quality, but is expensive. There are a ton of different kinds of grocery stores around. None that I've found that can compare to Wegman's, but it seems that every neighborhood has at least one outstanding store compared to the others. You'll just have to try stopping at a bunch to see which ones fit you best. I prefer the Fry's Super Marketplace. But everyone has different tastes, so do a little bit of visiting and you'll find the one that is best for you!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
There are a ton of different kinds of grocery stores around. ........., but it seems that every neighborhood has at least one outstanding store compared to the others. You'll just have to try stopping at a bunch to see which ones fit you best. I prefer the Fry's Super Marketplace. But everyone has different tastes, so do a little bit of visiting and you'll find the one that is best for you!
Agree....

Within 3 miles( I'm sure there is more, I'm just going from memory) We have a couple Frys, 2 Safeways, 2 Albertsons, an A.J.'s, Sprouts, Super Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, and a Bashas.

I like Costco, Frys, Safeway, A.J's, Sprouts and Wal-Mart. They each have their positives and Negatives. I also like to go to Super Target and a small Indian shop which is a few miles further out. It all depends on what I'm shopping for.

We have plenty of choices in the part of town I live.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,591,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
They sure do carry organics and health foods! Trader Joe's has better prices than Whole Foods Market, and that particularly goes for wine, e.g. "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw) wines at $1.99 and surprisingly good even when compared with $10-$12 wine.

I'm seriously considering relocating (which is why I'm reading the Phoenix section) and I've pretty much decided to consider only towns that have a Trader Joe's Market. They're that good!

Sounds like us! I have seriously searched for a home located close to Trader Joes and Safeway. I like both and have neither here.

I love TJs coffee, dried fruits, organic turkey and for the cats the cat scratching box. And Two Buck Chuck isn't bad either.

Does anyone shop at Basha's? I know Bayless is no more unless you go to AJs.

LF

Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
We have a Sprouts about 3 minutes away, so we shop there a lot. I will say, their produce is not the best, but they do carry lots of health foods like organic milk, organic soy milk, organic beans, hormone-free chicken, that kind of stuff. They are nice and friendly and they always take returns, no questions asked. This kind of attitude keeps me coming back there even though some other stores seem to have better produce and selection (Safeway, Fry's). They have the little free cups of coffee, and plus they play 50's and 60's pop music, so it's got a kind of laid back old-fashioned atmosphere.
That sounds nice. Anything has got to be better than the gawd-awful music they play at Fry's. The music they play at Fry's is so horrible it makes me want to punch something. The worst one, which it seems like they play everytime I walk in is a horirble song where it sounds like there are "European"-style ambulance sirens going off-- as part of the song. In fact, I'd be willing to go out of my way to a different grocery store just to not hear the crap music at Fry's. Really, Whole Foods is the best there is, unfortunately, it's SOOooo expensive.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,423 times
I forgot to say that Trader Joe's is within 3 miles also. Cool place.

I have been to Basha's a few times. I didn't much care for it. In my opinion, it has less selection and higher prices than either Safeway or Fry's. Kind of like the one Albertsons I've been to. I have only been to the ones in my area so I'm not sure if all of them are like that.

Safeway is my favorite general grocery store. Frys is good but their milk section is so cramped with displays that it turns into a bottleneck. I dread buying milk when I have the kids along.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM

287 posts, read 897,562 times
Forgot about Sprouts. I really like it - great place to buy dry goods & fresh produce.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM

58 posts, read 203,867 times
Frye's it's the least expensive without being ghetto. (well that depends on what area you live in) but where i live in goodyear it is the cheapest. Also sprouts is great for produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area