Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 03:40 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Yeah, and it shows!
Sounds like Apple has seen me surf. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 03:51 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Eastmark is cool. But it's one small community in a massive city. Not to mention, it's basically an extension of Gilbert. So what's your point?
Serious question: what is cool about eastmark? It looks like a generic tract-homes-on-tiny-lots neighborhood like you can find literally anywhere. It also looks uncomfortably close to the airport/jet noise.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Serious question: what is cool about eastmark? It looks like a generic tract-homes-on-tiny-lots neighborhood like you can find literally anywhere.
I'm not the person you quoted but I'll add my 2 cents It was designed by DMB, who also did DC Ranch, Verrado and Marley Park. Some of the things DMB requires of their builders is unique floorplans with higher design features. They also design their communities in a neo traditional style with little community parks and front porches. They encourage a sense of community and don't design the neighborhoods with bare bones minimal amenities most developers do (and I'm in the industry).

My opinion: the neighborhood streets are too narrow, the houses on average are too close together (small lot sizes). I like the small neighborhood parks and the main park next to the high school is pretty killer. The baseball fields are well manicured compared to most parks and the playground is above average. I'd like to see more variety of housing.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:15 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm not the person you quoted but I'll add my 2 cents It was designed by DMB, who also did DC Ranch, Verrado and Marley Park. Some of the things DMB requires of their builders is unique floorplans with higher design features. They also design their communities in a neo traditional style with little community parks and front porches. They encourage a sense of community and don't design the neighborhoods with bare bones minimal amenities most developers do (and I'm in the industry).

My opinion: the neighborhood streets are too narrow, the houses on average are too close together (small lot sizes). I like the small neighborhood parks and the main park next to the high school is pretty killer. The baseball fields are well manicured compared to most parks and the playground is above average. I'd like to see more variety of housing.
Appreciate the response. I think all of that sounds interesting in theory, but in practice is looks more like “generic phx tract home neighborhood #4,328.” The homes look like typical east valley tract homes, the “parks” are mostly just grass drainage ditches, the lots are tiny with houses pressed right up against each other, the retail access is minimal, etc. If there is anything substantial that sets it apart from anything else, I can’t figure out what it is.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the response. I think all of that sounds interesting in theory, but in practice is looks more like “generic phx tract home neighborhood #4,328.” The homes look like typical east valley tract homes, the “parks” are mostly just grass drainage ditches, the lots are tiny with houses pressed right up against each other, the retail access is minimal, etc. If there is anything substantial that sets it apart from anything else, I can’t figure out what it is.
Like I said in the post you quoted, they do higher design and have more/better amenities. Yes, the grassy community parks also serve as retention. But 95% of the time it's where kids play, there's more of those parks than average communities and they usually have playgrounds too. I also mentioned the design. Sidewalks are set back with additional landscaping and street trees, materials differ from most developments such as the community walls are not just unpainted CMU blocks, additional community landscaping and lots of amenities at the main community park that aren't available everywhere.

It's not for me, but it's definitely better than a majority of Mesa newer developments.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
The article makes a comparison of Gilbert to Scottsdale, which is kind of ironic because downtown Gilbert resembles Old Town Scottsdale from the 1970s. The article also correctly points out that Gilbert is no longer the small farming town that it was decades ago. It has seen exponential growth since the 1990s, and the population is now well over 250,000. Thus, it can no longer truthfully be called a "town". Why Gilbert chooses to be the nation's largest "town" is beyond comprehension.

On the positive side, it's encouraging to see that Gilbert is attractive to those with higher incomes. A fair amount of "family friendly" communities tend to be on the lower end of the scale in this regard. Somebody mentioned earlier that Gilbert is a clone of Santa Clarita, CA. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it would be great if it could be more like Irvine, CA. Chandler is becoming something like that already, so it would be all for the better if Chandler's influence could spill over to Gilbert.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:46 PM

219 posts, read 176,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The article makes a comparison of Gilbert to Scottsdale, which is kind of ironic because downtown Gilbert resembles Old Town Scottsdale from the 1970s. The article also correctly points out that Gilbert is no longer the small farming town that it was decades ago. It has seen exponential growth since the 1990s, and the population is now well over 250,000. Thus, it can no longer truthfully be called a "town". Why Gilbert chooses to be the nation's largest "town" is beyond comprehension.

On the positive side, it's encouraging to see that Gilbert is attractive to those with higher incomes. A fair amount of "family friendly" communities tend to be on the lower end of the scale in this regard. Somebody mentioned earlier that Gilbert is a clone of Santa Clarita, CA. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it would be great if it could be more like Irvine, CA. Chandler is becoming something like that already, so it would be all for the better if Chandler's influence could spill over to Gilbert.
People continue to talk about this. So maybe it's just a marketing ploy?

Old 04-25-2023, 01:49 PM

219 posts, read 176,359 times
Quote:
Serious question: what is cool about eastmark? It looks like a generic tract-homes-on-tiny-lots neighborhood like you can find literally anywhere. It also looks uncomfortably close to the airport/jet noise.
It's not my cup of tea, personally. But it has a lot of cool home architecture for being tract homes. A lot of grass, trees, playgrounds, and community gathering events. It's just different from your run-of-the-mill development. Sure, it has its cons, like airport and not much around it (yet); but compared to many other tract developments, it's in an upper tier.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:42 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
RE agent Rick McHone mentions an article that points to 85212 in Mesa as the fourth most desired neighborhood in the Valley.

85212 homes aren't cheap either. New construction - over 600k..

1. Scottsdale 85254
2. Queens Creek 85142
3. Goodyear 85338
4. 85212 Mesa

See 2:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqSUZOSqcs&t=130s

Last edited by john3232; 04-25-2023 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-25-2023, 03:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I tend not to pay attention to this sort of nonsense but any list that has Queen Creek near the top of it must give points for Walmarts per capita. FWIW all but a few square feet of 85254 is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area