Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 04:13 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,004,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I tend not to pay attention to this sort of nonsense but any list that has Queen Creek near the top of it must give points for Walmarts per capita. FWIW all but a few square feet of 85254 is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale.
Queen Creek/Goodyear surprised me, turns out it's based on 2022.

In its exclusive annual analysis for the Phoenix Business Journal, Zonda unveils the 50 Valley neighborhoods most prized by homebuyers in 2022. Click through to view a slideshow of the neighborhoods by ZIP code.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...oods-2022.html

Last edited by john3232; 04-25-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 04:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Queen Creek/Goodyear surprised me, turns out it's based on 2022.

In its exclusive annual analysis for the Phoenix Business Journal, Zonda unveils the 50 Valley neighborhoods most prized by homebuyers in 2022. Click through to view a slideshow of the neighborhoods by ZIP code.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...oods-2022.html
I have a feeling it's skewed towards new builds. There's always substantially more sales in a year in a square mile with new builds for example than a square mile with existing homes and few are selling. I doubt QC is more coveted than Arcadia or Tempe, but there's more sales in QC than the other because of new home communities. The Mesa Zip includes Eastmark and Cadence, two of the biggest new home communities in the area.

Meaningless list IMO

Old 04-26-2023, 06:09 AM

188 posts, read 134,574 times
Quote:
FWIW all but a few square feet of 85254 is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale.
What map are *you* looking at?

Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
I tend not to pay attention to this sort of nonsense but any list that has Queen Creek near the top of it must give points for Walmarts per capita. FWIW all but a few square feet of 85254 is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale.
There is only ONE Walmart within actual Queen Creek town limits (the one on Rittenhouse). The one on Hunt Highway is in the unincorporated community of San Tan Valley.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
What map are *you* looking at?
Here’s one. You can see a small amount of it east of Scottsdale Road, which is the boundary between Phoenix and Scottsdale.

https://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/85254/

Old 04-26-2023, 10:44 AM

188 posts, read 134,574 times
Quote:
Here’s one. You can see a small amount of it east of Scottsdale Road, which is the boundary between Phoenix and Scottsdale.

https://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/85254/
Thanks. I saw that one but I couldn't find one that overlapped Phoenix with 85254.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:35 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Per this City Data page, the zip code is 87.06% Phoenix and 12.94% Scottsdale. That's a bit more Scottsdale than I thought.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:52 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Watch out now. https://www.azfamily.com/2023/04/20/...ncome-arizona/

This city is so unrecognizable from when I moved here 13 years ago.
Gilbert is undoubtedly a great town to raise a family! And without question, it is an up-and-coming burb! But the author's title was a little disingenuous touting that "Gilbert has the highest median income in Arizona". Actually, PV easily doubles Gilbert (well over $200K). Strike #1. And Anthem also has a slightly higher median income than both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Strike #2. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Though, that's not exactly a great metric to compare wealth (the author picked the title, I didn't) when you consider a much higher percentage of home buyers in Scottsdale have 2nd or 3rd homes. Therefore, many claim their income taxes in another state. Add in a lot of wealthy early retirees that reside in Scottsdale, and the wealth isn't close. Those two factors mean that the "median income" isn't showing the whole picture.

Just look at the median sales home price in Gilbert is $525K with a cost per square foot of $269.
While Scottsdale has a median home price is $795K at $387 cost per square foot. Scottsdale home prices are approaching 50% more $$. Home price metric is a more accurate form of wealth. And to be clear, AZfamily quoted from a Smartasset.com survey that called Gilbert the "hardest working town".

Next, Gilbert has 68 square miles of area. Scottsdale has 184 Square miles and covers a very long north-to-south footprint. i.e., there are some huge variations in wealth across Scottdale. Not so much as compared to Gilbert. It's why any median comparison to the town of "Phoenix" (at 550 square miles of area) is going to quickly draw the wrong conclusions.

Note: I'm not taking anything away from Gilbert. But keeping it real the link is clickbait. We do agree, Gilbert has changed SO MUCH since I looked at homes back in 2011. It's not remotely close. And I would not hesitate to raise my family there.

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2023 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 02:03 PM

843 posts, read 565,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Gilbert is undoubtedly a great town to raise a family! And without question, it is an up-and-coming burb! But the author's title was a little disingenuous touting that "Gilbert has the highest median income in Arizona". Actually, PV easily doubles Gilbert (well over $200K). Strike #1. And Anthem also has a slightly higher median income than both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Strike #2. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
These two lists are apparently not apples to apples? Just a quick comparison shows that Gilberts median income is $97k on the Zip Atlas list (you have to zoom in on the map) vs $105k on the other. The first list is supposed to portray "middle class", i.e., "By contrast, Scottsdale’s middle class ranges from $66,395 and $198,194." The headline is misleading. Somehow they are only classifying a portion of the residents as "middle class".

Old 04-29-2023, 06:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Gilbert is undoubtedly a great town to raise a family! And without question, it is an up-and-coming burb! But the author's title was a little disingenuous touting that "Gilbert has the highest median income in Arizona". Actually, PV easily doubles Gilbert (well over $200K). Strike #1. And Anthem also has a slightly higher median income than both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Strike #2.Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Anthem isn't a city, it's a Master Planned Community. Strike #1

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area