Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerParker View Post
we're at almost $4.50 in chicago. be grateful lol
Nice save Miller! The several posts were way off base...as usual.
Dare I say that those who voted for the war-loving retard should not whine about how expensive things have gotten in this great country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
4.15 last night at that same circle k.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,435 times
Still a few pennies under 4 bucks at a couple places in east Mesa. Whoopie!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM

551 posts, read 1,591,308 times
snippage...

And to the guy who said AZ has energy assistance for the poor and should for the elderly, WTF? You think public assistance should be based on how old you are instead of whether you're in financial need? Why should my well-off grandmother get public energy assistance? She doesn't need it. It's bad enough she gets social security and medicare and doesn't need it. It's that entitlement mindset like yours that will bankrupt this country. No, the gov't. should not be taking care of people, especially those who don't need it.[/quote]

I think I was the one who wrote that there should be public energy assistance for the elderly, if they need it. Not all senior citizens will need assistance, in fact, like anything else public assistance is based on income.

Not everyone is as fortunate as your senior family members. Some never had the financial opportunities while others may have suffered through catastrophic financial events (For example placing a spouse in long-term care which can cost at least $5k a month) and need help.

I remember working as a homemaker and watching my clients by extra pet food, not for their pets, but for their consumption. I remember one client, who was diabetic, who could not afford to eat the medically recommended diet.

And lest you believe that I think government should take care of us, I do not. I am a conservative who realizes not everyone is as blessed and may need a bit of help. We should offer it to them, especially our elderly who have contributed much to our society. Remember they were the ones who survived the wars and depression and learned to "make do".

LF

Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Some new stats from today's paper show transit ridership increasing, most likely due to high gas prices:

Bus ridership soars in Arizona

Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,733 times
"25% of Phoenicians utilize the transit system here"

Whaaaaaa???? I can't believe that is accurate: 1 in 4 people here use the bus or light rail? I don't know of a single person in my family, friends, or coworkers, who use these even occasionally. I know it's just a small sample, but 25% cannot be true. I don't know where this figure was derived, but maybe 25% have used Phoenix transit at least once in their lifetime.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
"25% of Phoenicians utilize the transit system here"

Whaaaaaa???? I can't believe that is accurate: 1 in 4 people here use the bus or light rail? I don't know of a single person in my family, friends, or coworkers, who use these even occasionally. I know it's just a small sample, but 25% cannot be true. I don't know where this figure was derived, but maybe 25% have used Phoenix transit at least once in their lifetime.

Well, you don't know anyone using light rail because it isn't running yet, but I agree that the 25% figure cited earlier in this thread is exaggerated. Ridership in increasing, but I'd say it's far short of 25%. I'm a public transit user and supporter, but inflated claims of 25% do nothing to help the cause.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
If there was light rail that traveled near the highway system. A train system that traveled from phoenix to tucson, maricopa, or any other major town. then a couple rail systems that traveled through the city.

Then have buses for everything in between. I'd take the mass transit system.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
It is estimated that the new light rail system will carry 1-2% valley customers, if it ever works....they tested the new light rail today, it went 3 feet and broke down.
See what happens when you go with the cheapest builder.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
...if it ever works....they tested the new light rail today, it went 3 feet and broke down.
Really? Show me where you saw that?

If you're talking about the same story I read, it talked about the testing equipment failing...not the tracks or the train. Basically they have a camera mounted to monitor that the train is making contact at all times with the electrical line above, and that camera malfunctioned.

Did you see a different story or you just leave out the details on purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area