Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post

Ya, its great for this country. My parents, living in the north east on a fairly fixed income kept their home at 50 degrees last winter because they couldn't afford heating oil, or to install a different heating system. As of today the heating oil prices have doubled since last winter.
So true, my best friend in Minneapolis paid well over $1600 for gas heating in his apartment between Dec. and March! That is just ridiculous. I've heard that heating your home in the cold states is extremely expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Absolutely true! More mass transit is needed to get from the burbs to the cities. Using electric trains could help solve lots of problems!

Electric trains will do little to solve the problem. It just moves the problem elsewhere. Out of sight out of mind. Electricity has to be generated using gas, coal, solar, water or geothermal energy. If you can find away to use renewable energy resources (water, solar or geothermal) then this would be a good thing. Unfortunately, most electricity is generated using coal or gas in out-of-way places.

Going to mass transit is a good thing. We should bring back both local and regional railroads.

We should all ride the bus or carpool when possible.

There are many things we can do to help save our environment while saving our pocketbooks from unneeded expense.

LF

I forgot to add using wind to generate electricity is another excellent option. Of course the NIMBYs don't want a wind farm nearby...

Last edited by LadmoFan; 06-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Added comment about wind generators

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Does the bus go where you want to go? The same question with the light rail. I will be living in Surprise. Where are the busses there? In the heat do you plan on walking a mile to a bus stop and waiting in the heat for it? My thoughts are that most people will still take there car.
Agreed, but people don't have to use a car that gets 10 mpg. I have my mind set on a VW Jetta diesel when (if) they ever come back onto the market. They are projected to get 45 mpg and last 300000 miles (without having to replace batteries). At 45 versus 10, it like getting gas for 80 cents a gallon again. And with a fraction of the grams per mile.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Luckily, my commute is around 9-10 miles street roads, taking about 15-16 minutes average. Taking the bus would take probably 30+ minutes costing me $2.50 even with a day pass, with my NightHawk, it takes about 15-20 minutes, rides are fun (for the most part) and I am certain it uses less than $2 worth of gas (42-43 mpg average) so bus or any other public transportation is far from economical or practical.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
Electric trains will do little to solve the problem. It just moves the problem elsewhere. Out of sight out of mind. Electricity has to be generated using gas, coal, solar, water or geothermal energy. If you can find away to use renewable energy resources (water, solar or geothermal) then this would be a good thing. Unfortunately, most electricity is generated using coal or gas in out-of-way places.

Going to mass transit is a good thing. We should bring back both local and regional railroads.

We should all ride the bus or carpool when possible.

There are many things we can do to help save our environment while saving our pocketbooks from unneeded expense.

LF

I forgot to add using wind to generate electricity is another excellent option. Of course the NIMBYs don't want a wind farm nearby...
i would love if they had a train route from phoenix to tucson. I'd commute from Tucson, if they had a 150-200mph train.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not hard to find in mid 3.80s (Costco, Sams ARCO). You can pay more if you want to as well.
I spoke too soon. I was out today and noticed many, many places had $4 plus for regular. Looks like we have caught up with the national average.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 PM

203 posts, read 810,252 times
if the gas price is driven by gas usage? why is it not going down?
all reports say gas usage is down, so shouldn't the price be down also.

i`m just Glad i bought a no frills 4cyl compact instead of the raised 4x4 i wanted.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

136 posts, read 366,264 times
Default Chicago Gas is Crazy!

I was in down town Chicago today and saw $4.88 for regular gas! I lilve about 2 hours from there where it is up to $4.19. I thought that was bad until I saw $4.88! That is just rediculous; almost five dollars a gallon!
Just another reason I'm glad I am moving to Arizona soon! Although I know gas everywhere is on the rise, but every little bit helps.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
if the gas price is driven by gas usage? why is it not going down?
all reports say gas usage is down, so shouldn't the price be down also.
Yea but I'm guessing the gas/oil companies are seeing less gas being sold therefore it would make sense for prices to go up so they can make the same amount of revenue, no?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Agreed, but people don't have to use a car that gets 10 mpg. I have my mind set on a VW Jetta diesel when (if) they ever come back onto the market. They are projected to get 45 mpg and last 300000 miles (without having to replace batteries). At 45 versus 10, it like getting gas for 80 cents a gallon again. And with a fraction of the grams per mile.
Actually I am very impressed with the Valley Metro Bus service. Bus stops are located conveniently and with very little walking between locations. The buses (at least route 70) run on a frequent basis so there is little wait time.

LF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area