Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Well, no one else mentioned yet so I will. Today, Maricopa Country sheriff's deputies raided three business locations of the waterpark(s) operator in Phoenix arresting illegals for felony fraud for allegedly using stolen social security numbers and seizing the employment records of the businesses. It is alleged that over half of the employees are illegals. This is the first salvo in the enforcement of Arizona's employer sanctions law which suspends and revokes business licenses of those knowingly hiring illegal aliens. Needless to say, immigrant "rights" groups are objecting to the arrest of the alleged ID theft criminals. The vast majority of the rest of us are encouraged to finally see some action on this law we voted in long, long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, no one else mentioned yet so I will. Today, Maricopa Country sheriff's deputies raided three business locations of the waterpark(s) operator in Phoenix arresting illegals for felony fraud for allegedly using stolen social security numbers and seizing the employment records of the businesses. It is alleged that over half of the employees are illegals. This is the first salvo in the enforcement of Arizona's employer sanctions law which suspends and revokes business licenses of those knowingly hiring illegal aliens. Needless to say, immigrant "rights" groups are objecting to the arrest of the alleged ID theft criminals. The vast majority of the rest of us are encouraged to finally see some action on this law we voted in long, long ago.
There is no way I will cheer on Sheriff Joe. He ought to be out there looking for felons who are on the loose rather than illegals.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
There is no way I will cheer on Sheriff Joe. He ought to be out there looking for felons who are on the loose rather than illegals.
People who steal others' identity are felons. They did not arrest any illegals other than those charged with felony ID theft.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I'll give a big round of applause - i love how enforcing law A is always mutually exclusive of enforcing law B

AZ is one of the worst states in the nation for ID theft and anyone who has ever had to deal with it knows that it can be an absolute nightmare

also employers who knowingly circumvent the system and exploit benefits and wages by hiring illegal workers harm the community as a whole

there are many crimes that aren't felonies that would sure have a negative impact to you if they happened to you

i'm not a sheriff joe fan by any means - but this is a good thing

Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but are you saying it would be OK with you if one of these people stole your identity and messed up your life and potentially got you in trouble with Uncle Sam?

I say Sheriff Joe is THE man. They should put him in charge of a training campe for future sheriffs all over the US.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You go Joe, you're doing exactly what the people elected you to do, enforce the laws. Thankyou Ponderosa for posting this. Excellent commentary.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People who steal others' identity are felons. They did not arrest any illegals other than those charged with felony ID theft.
You know what I mean. He is on a mission to go hunting down illegals, period, when there are plenty of felons on the loose. Good on the governor for yanking funds earmarked for his relentless pursuit of illegals.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Uh...ok he had a good day did some good today. That does not make up for the 49 million in payouts over the lawsuits and it does not make up for not doing his job in other areas.
Dig a little deeper...he is not the man...that you think he is.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
You know what I mean. He is on a mission to go hunting down illegals, period, when there are plenty of felons on the loose. Good on the governor for yanking funds earmarked for his relentless pursuit of illegals.
He is pursuing felons. He is enforcing Arizona law.

He is doing his job

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
He is pursuing felons. He is enforcing Arizona law.

He is doing his job
Like I said, he is NOT doing his job when he spends most of his time and money pursuing, no hunting, down illegals who haven't done anything other than try for a decent life while there are serious FELONS running around that even the governor recognizes he is not going after as he should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area