Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:25 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,170 times

Advertisements

Heat? What heat? It's like 60 degrees...I have to look for my hoodies.

Honestly, I love the sunshine and dry weather. When it's cloudy and humid, I get headaches. Although, I do enjoy when it rains, because it happens so seldom. I'm from Japan, where during raining season it rains almost everyday for 3-4 weeks. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
I've lived here for 13 years and I find myself enjoying the outdoors more and more each summer. I've golfed nearly every weekend since early June and my wife and I have been riding our bicycles about twice a week since April..usually in the evenings. I don't let the heat stop me from doing the things that I love. We just drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen.

I will actually miss summer in some respects...with the cooler weather comes an increase in golf prices and more tourists. I could do without both.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac10devils View Post
Just because it's 110 degrees outside, doesn't mean you can't go outside and have some fun in it. Most people choose not to though.
As someone suggested to me, I can 'man up' and deal with 100 degree heat but having fun with it would be a bit of a stretch!

Phoenix has been home to me the last year and a half but come next June, unless something amazing happens job-wise that might change my mind, I am gone.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
How I deal with extreme heat? I suppose I am eligible to answer this question, since I lived in hot (above 110 degree summer temperatures) 16 years of my life.

Grow ears as large as an elephant's. That way you will be able to flap your ears and radiate a lot of the heat away from your body.

I'm the life of the party every October 31.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM

219 posts, read 779,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
I'm just wondering... how could you guys who live in Phoenix area deal with the extreme heat during the long summer? Well it's low humidity but still very hot, even evenings doesn't cool off that much. Well you probably have A/C inside, but when you go out

I know that NJ area doesn't have much better summers, but at least it's mid 80's and sometimes 90s here, and upper 60s and low 70s during night.
Although I don't know why some will disagree, trust me on this one New Jersey has far, far more comfortable summers. While, I would be the first to admit 95-100 degrees is not that uncomfortable at all, it seems every degree beyond 100 the discomfort factor increases exponentially. There is a huge a difference between 100 degrees and 113 degrees and there is nothing I've felt like 110-115 degrees here; it is an extreme heat that is not comparable to 85 degrees and humid. I hate when people say, "oh its always 90 degrees and 90% humidity in the east", that's simply not true. While New Jersey might get some rare spells that compare to the very best of days here, the heat here is much worse, dry or not. And don't think its as dry as Las Vegas, because its not.

Believe me, I have spent time in New York, Las Vegas, Miami, and the caribbean in the summer, and there is nothing like this. Even Miami offers relief, there is next to no relief here. I honestly don't mind the summers here too much, because I happen to love heat, but dont believe people who say its worse in the east, because its not. Although, our summers are preferable to a northeast winter. Also, don't think it cools down at night, I've gone out numerous nights where its approached 100 degrees. I would say now in October, its about on the same comfort level as a northeast July.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Exteme heat hah, you don't know what exreme heat is until you've been in the Carribbean areas, or anywhere around the equater, during the summer months when the temps hit 120+ and the humidity is 90%.
This is paradise compared to most areas.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM

219 posts, read 779,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Exteme heat hah, you don't know what exreme heat is until you've been in the Carribbean areas, or anywhere around the equater, during the summer months when the temps hit 120+ and the humidity is 90%.
This is paradise compared to most areas.
120 and 90% humidity would actually produce a heat index of 336 degrees, according to a heat index calculator. I suppose in the caribbean there is no need for stoves to boil water or cook, if it feels like 336.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Exactly, and you should see all the natives with very dark almost black skin from the burning excruciating heat.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
just want some legit info for the average guy who might move their. Any ideas?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Angler View Post
just want some legit info for the average guy who might move their. Any ideas?
Any ideas for...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area