Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM

267 posts, read 898,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I just thought about what you said. Do I have to worry about snow in Colorada in Early November. Is there a better way to go. I don't want to run into snow on this trip. I sometimes forget about the higher elevations. I was shocked when I visited Phoenix in November and our friends wanted to go to Flagstaff. It was just as cold as Wisconsin and Snowy. I was dressed for Phoenix weather. I guess you learn things everyday. I thought all of Arizona was warm. I wonder if most people know that or not.
If you're headed out of the Appleton area, I'd go over to Madison, down to St. Louis, across to Oklahoma city, and take the 40 across to Flag, and then down. That gets you headed straight south to begin with, and keeps your proximity to the mountainous areas with not so well kept freeways down to a minimum.

I wouldn't take the 90 across and down through CO route, because you'd be pretty likely to run into some snow or nasty weather at some point. Wyoming and the northern part of SD already got snow this weekend. November is prime time for nasty weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:27 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,777 times
Default Thanks for the advice on the drive!

Thank you for the advice on the route. That sounds like the route google mapped out. I hope I will be OK with the extreme heat. I was there when it 105 degrees and that felt pleasant to me. I can't image what 115 feels like, but I guess when it is below zero here we don't stay outside too long either. I get so cold so easily. When I was in Carlsbad, CA, I felt so chilled until it warmed up to around 80 degrees. I was not meant to be born in Wisconsin. I started turning the furnace on in September already. We had some unusually warm weather these last few days. It was 79 degrees and sunny, beautiful.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Quote:
Thank you for the advice on the route. That sounds like the route google mapped out. I hope I will be OK with the extreme heat. I was there when it 105 degrees and that felt pleasant to me. I can't image what 115 feels like, but I guess when it is below zero here we don't stay outside too long either. I get so cold so easily. When I was in Carlsbad, CA, I felt so chilled until it warmed up to around 80 degrees. I was not meant to be born in Wisconsin. I started turning the furnace on in September already. We had some unusually warm weather these last few days. It was 79 degrees and sunny, beautiful.
79 sounds NICE right now! It's 68 degrees here and we only saw 73 degrees today. It was 49 degrees last night, I was freezing! Thankfully, we will warm back up by next weekend.

As for the drive, I would avoid Colorado. Also, try to plan passing through Flagstaff and Northern Arizona during the day. The nights and mornings up north are already in the teens and 20's and snow isn't unusual during the night and morning hours in that part of the state in early November. Granted it might not be a lot the roads and bridges freeze over and can make for an "interesting" drive; happened to me last November visiting family in Flagstaff. There was a small pile-up (6 cars) that I was able to avoid on the I-17/I-40 interchange in Flagstaff.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Default I appreciate the warning.

The first snows are always a bit more treacherous because people don't remember to be careful. I will keep that in mind. Someone stole my down, hooded warm winter coat last year at a hotel parking lot in Brookfield , Wi. I don't want to buy another one since I'm coming to Arizona. I will probably layer and bring hats, gloves and boots to be cautious. I really didn't think about snow on the way.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:00 PM

165 posts, read 512,595 times
Pinda
I see you are moving to Phoenix, what day are you leaving? I too am relocating to Northern Az within the next 3-4 weeks, It would be nice to have someone to follow. I am traveling with 5 dogs in a Focus stationwagon, so if anyone sees a blue focus pulling a U Haul with a lady pulling her hair out it's me. Don't make eye contact
By the way I'm leaving from SE Michigan
Debbie SE MI

Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Default Debbie

Debbie-please read PM I sent to you.

Imtaya,
You have been there 2 years? How do you like it so far. Are you glad you made the move? I hope you are still reading this.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
Good for you. The drive from WI. to AZ. isn't that bad - I've done it before in 2 days, with 3 kids in the backseat (one still in diapers). Ever heard of Weyauwega, WI? Hopefully, you're planning to leave WI before too much snow is on the ground, otherwise the drive from WI all the way to around CO can be a little tedious at times.

What side of town are you planning on moving to? Where are you looking at jobs at? I'm sure there is more information you can get ahead of time, if you let us all know what your plans are when you get to Phx.
Are you sure that's in WI not in Japan? Im from Weyauwega, Japan, small village just outside of tokyo...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I will be arriving on November 8th and found temporary housing in Sun Lakes. I was blessed with a fantastic deal (not a seasonal rate) on a furnished home that someone had to break their lease on. I will have it for 4 months. That will give me time to find something else. Like everyone says on the forum, rent before you buy. I am going to look into being a caregiver or real estate, believe it or not. I know things are tough right now to consider that.

I now live about 35 miles from Weyauwega, WI. Nice little town.
Hey Pinda, Congrats and good luck to you... did you say church? MEH....I have faith, just not that much...but anyways, good luck! Eventhough Im not from Wisconsin, I am glad for you that you are getting da hell out of WI...depressing place if you ask me but just like going to heaven, you're going to a better place!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I just want to thank everyone for all the information that is provided on this site. It is so helpful. I am finally going to get my sunshine this winter. I am going to drive from Wisconsin, 30 hours, oh boy.

I never moved out of state before, so it's a bit scary for me. I have temporary housing lined up and some interviews. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

I hope to find a nice church and friends. I bet once I get there I will be reading this forum even more for all the helpful advice.

Thanks to All
Anytime babe!!! Im glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Pinda, don't worry, if you can handle 105, you can handle 115.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area