Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Huh? I thought you were done. Regardless, it is too darn hot and getting too darn hotter every year. Everyone except apparently you knows it. We are so inured to it that we now consider a cool down to be 3-4 degrees above normal. I am looking for 104 on Thanksgiving.
Your response would have been more effective if you contradicted my data with other data but you couldn't do so because the facts contradict your opinion and you had no response. As the data shows, there has been less than a degree increase of the average high over the past 10 years and the average summer highs have remained stable to slightly decreased which contradicts your notion that in 10 years the averages are going to increase by several digits or that the average temperature has increased by several degrees. It may feel like it's getting hotter but that is largely psychological as the numbers prove. Nonetheless, don't let the facts continue to get in the way of your opinion. A lot of people know that people like you exaggerate the heat but feel it's a waste of time to contradict you because your mind is already made up and will say anything rather than acknowledge the facts. Yes, Arizona is hot but what people like you fail to acknowledge are the abnormal lows and only remember the abnormal highs. Case in point, in June two years ago, we had sub 100 temperatures for nearly 3 weeks but of course you won't remember that. You won't remember the overcast days we get in the summer when it's below a 100 and will only remember instances like now and then conclude it gets hotter every year. It's largely psychological. Things have not changed, I remember when it was 100 degrees in October over 10 years ago or even hot days in November years ago. It happens. The only thing that continues to remain true is there is a high degree of variability with each season and that hasn't changed.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-16-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
With more people comes more roads and building and more pollution. All of these things bring the heat. If you can't hack it you would be best suited using your spare time to plan your escape from Phoenix instead of complaining on message boards.

Not to mention that day after day, year after year our planet moves closer and closer to its eventual collision with the sun. The closer we get, the hotter it gets.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Your response would have been more effective if you contradicted my data with other data but you couldn't do so because the facts contradict your opinion and you had no response. As the data shows, there has been less than a degree increase of the average high over the past 10 years and the average summer highs have remained stable to slightly decreased which contradicts your notion that in 10 years the averages are going to increase by several digits or that the average temperature has increased by several degrees. It may feel like it's getting hotter but that is largely psychological as the numbers prove. Nonetheless, don't let the facts continue to get in the way of your opinion. A lot of people know that people like you exaggerate the heat but feel it's a waste of time to contradict you because your mind is already made up and will say anything rather than acknowledge the facts. Yes, Arizona is hot but what people like you fail to acknowledge are the abnormal lows and only remember the abnormal highs. Case in point, in June two years ago, we had sub 100 temperatures for nearly 3 weeks but of course you won't remember that. You won't remember the overcast days we get in the summer when it's below a 100 and will only remember instances like now and then conclude it gets hotter every year. It's largely psychological. Things have not changed, I remember when it was 100 degrees in October over 10 years ago or even hot days in November years ago. It happens. The only thing that continues to remain true is there is a high degree of variability with each season and that hasn't changed.
It's hot and its getting hotter every year. We all know it. You can't get past your boosterism long enough to accept reality. I sometimes think you live in a different Phoenix than the rest of us judging from many of your perspectives on life here. Your repeated bickering with me and everyone who doesn't agree with you is childish.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM

475 posts, read 814,957 times
Quote:
It's hot and its getting hotter every year. We all know it. You can't get past your boosterism long enough to accept reality. No one agrees with you so give it up.
I agree with him.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
I agree with him.
LOL, I took it out but you quoted first. I figured someone probably did. What's wrong with his data is that they are taken from readings at the airport. Nobody lives at the airport (maybe you do). The airport area was about as developed 10 years ago as it is now. Not a lot has changed there that would influence temperatures. The bulk of us live in suburbs. Suburbs have seen a big increase in population, conversion of farms to concrete AND temperatures in the last 10 years. The reality is that temps are up significantly in the areas where we live especially at night.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Using personal observations or temperature data from just a few years is hogwash.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
It IS too darn hot here. Potential newbies pay attention. It gets hotter and hotter every year. Just last year at the same time we were breaking records for miserable heat. Looks like those may fall this year. Ten years from now we will probably be over 110 till Thankgiving and upper 90s on Christmas Day.
Didn't it snow in North Phoenix last winter?

Snow falls on Phoenix suburbs | azfamily.com Phoenix

Matter of fact I remember seeing snow on the surrounding mountains when I was there on April 9th..temps remained in the low 50s that day.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Didn't it snow in North Phoenix last winter?

Snow falls on Phoenix suburbs | azfamily.com Phoenix

Matter of fact I remember seeing snow on the surrounding mountains when I was there on April 9th..temps remained in the low 50s that day.
Your point being? It used to snow much more frequently here. I remember many days of driving to work and seeing snow on the Bradshaws, the Mazatzals, White Tanks, even South Mountain and the Estrellas. Four Peaks was white quite often in winter. Now, all of that is quite rare to the point that people marvel at it.

No one is arguing that we still have occasional cold snaps like we always did. In fact, the one a couple weeks back was a record. But it is simply indisputable that the trend over time in the Phoenix metro is toward higher temperatures, especially in summer and especially at night.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-16-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 PM

yes of course ..based on your personal observations and just a few years of data.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
yes of course ..based on your personal observations and just a few years of data.
That's about 40 years of personal observation and over 100 years of data. And it certainly has more gravity than your SINGLE observation last April, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area