Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,571 times

Advertisements

She's 40 lbs, and 6 years old. So average weight average age - and in good health. And the vet is the Paradise Valley Emergency Clinic on Shea Blvd - ( It was after hours so we called the pet emergency place ) She's been a patient there before, (for getting into some unknown something when we were at the dog park)

I thought it was strange too, considering we do have bark scorpions here. Anyway, Thanks all for your quick reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
check your clothes before you put them on, I guess Im the resident bug expert here, so if you have any more questions ask!
WHAT?? are you serious? do you mean the clothes in your closet or any clothes you have left on the floor? *Ahem*...not that I would do such a thing...

That is freakin' scary if you have to shake your clothes out before you put them on. That would add at least another 5 minutes to my morning routine!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
WHAT?? are you serious? do you mean the clothes in your closet or any clothes you have left on the floor? *Ahem*...not that I would do such a thing...

That is freakin' scary if you have to shake your clothes out before you put them on. That would add at least another 5 minutes to my morning routine!
Yes, both in the closet and on the floor. More so on the floor, as scorpions will hide under the first thing they come across, and clothes arent excluded. A good shake or two will get any scorps that might be hiding in there to fall out. No big deal.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,137 times
Lotsa snakes. Do not move to Phoenix. We are full.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

24 posts, read 174,463 times
I check my sheets every night before I get in bed. I've been doing that long before I moved here. I don't like anything sharing my bed with me! I don't check my clothes before putting them on, but I always shake out my shoes. In the past that has produced spiders and crickets. I'm not super scared of scorpions, but I do keep an eye out for them.

I've seen one scorpion in my three weeks living here, and it was just a chance encounter that I saw it. If I had waited 5 seconds longer before going into the kitchen the other night I would have missed it. The apartment management is sending out an exterminator tomorrow just to make sure there is nothing around for them to eat.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
Hello everyone,

I know that this is an old thread but I thought that instead of starting a new one, I'll just discuss what I wanted to here. You know, the bugs issue is the one issue that has me kind of anxious about being in this part of the country. I've read lots of threads on this and I've heard that if you live in the city, the chances of encountering snakes, scorpions and spiders are much less than being away from the city in the desert areas. I think AZ is a great state and it would be silly to not come here just for the bugs, am I right?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,470 times
I've seen more cockroaches than scorpions in my lifetime. Cockroaches that fly!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
Default Re:predators animals in phoenix area

Before anyone moves to Phoenix, especially in the desert sub-divisions, I earnestly encourage all persons considering moving to Phoenix, especially in desert areas to really consider the fact that we have the most poisonous scorpions in the country. Rattlesnakes are abundant in desert areas. but that is just the beginning!
The Javelinas are a terrible menace to yards and they are dangerous & mean and will attack and kill a dog, even if you are walking your dog on a street, they will attack you. Their are also Gila monsters that have a very vicious and poisonous bite. We have a Red Wasp that has one of the most painful stings on the planet.
Coyotes will happily eat your cats and dogs if you leave them in your backyard or let your cat out at night. Bobcats will do the same. and Yes, we have mountain lions in the outskirts of the valley in the mountains, but many homes have been built in the areas that they inhabit. I only found 3 tarantulas in my home last season, I put a glass over them and put them back outside. They are basically harmless but don't try to pet them because if you provoke them, they might become frightened and defend themselves with a bite.
I had dozens of scorpions in my house last year. My husband was stung one night in our bed and he was sick for 2 days. ALWAYS check shoes before wearing, never leave clothes on the floor. Check your towels before use, check your clothes before wearing. COMMON SENSE!! We also had a King snake in our home last year but they are non-poisonous so I simply picked him up (after finally capturing him from underneath our couch) and I put him back outside so that he could kill and eat the rattlesnakes and desert rats in our yard. ( rats are another major nuisance in the desert)
You must have a healthy fear of all these predators! You can easily walk right up on a rattlesnake and not even know it. You just cannot let your animals stay outside, I don't care how big and mean your Rotty is, a couple of coyotes could take him down. Coyotes are also city dwellers, no place is safe from a coyote in Phoenix. The sound in the neighborhood of a poor dog being attacked and killed by coyotes is excruciatingly & painfully upsetting and hard to listen to while we are laying in our beds in the middle of the night so please do not be STUPID by leaving your animals outside.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Daniel View Post
Before anyone moves to Phoenix, especially in the desert sub-divisions, I earnestly encourage all persons considering moving to Phoenix, especially in desert areas to really consider the fact that we have the most poisonous scorpions in the country. Rattlesnakes are abundant in desert areas. but that is just the beginning!
The Javelinas are a terrible menace to yards and they are dangerous & mean and will attack and kill a dog, even if you are walking your dog on a street, they will attack you. Their are also Gila monsters that have a very vicious and poisonous bite. We have a Red Wasp that has one of the most painful stings on the planet.
Coyotes will happily eat your cats and dogs if you leave them in your backyard or let your cat out at night. Bobcats will do the same. and Yes, we have mountain lions in the outskirts of the valley in the mountains, but many homes have been built in the areas that they inhabit. I only found 3 tarantulas in my home last season, I put a glass over them and put them back outside. They are basically harmless but don't try to pet them because if you provoke them, they might become frightened and defend themselves with a bite.
I had dozens of scorpions in my house last year. My husband was stung one night in our bed and he was sick for 2 days. ALWAYS check shoes before wearing, never leave clothes on the floor. Check your towels before use, check your clothes before wearing. COMMON SENSE!! We also had a King snake in our home last year but they are non-poisonous so I simply picked him up (after finally capturing him from underneath our couch) and I put him back outside so that he could kill and eat the rattlesnakes and desert rats in our yard. ( rats are another major nuisance in the desert)
You must have a healthy fear of all these predators! You can easily walk right up on a rattlesnake and not even know it. You just cannot let your animals stay outside, I don't care how big and mean your Rotty is, a couple of coyotes could take him down. Coyotes are also city dwellers, no place is safe from a coyote in Phoenix. The sound in the neighborhood of a poor dog being attacked and killed by coyotes is excruciatingly & painfully upsetting and hard to listen to while we are laying in our beds in the middle of the night so please do not be STUPID by leaving your animals outside.
You were compelled to register to resurrect a thread dead for 7 years?

Old 09-09-2018, 06:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
You were compelled to register to resurrect a thread dead for 7 years?
City-Data encourages it all the time. It's at the bottom of old threads - "consider updating with new info" or something like that.

I don't see why people get upset about resurrected old threads when City-Data encourages it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area