Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
And 2 of them (North LV and Henderson, NV) are suburbs of Vegas. I did not know Vegas was boring. I think the rest of the story is proximity.

They also listed Chula Vista, CA. That city is bounded on the west and north by San Diego.

Folks do live in Mesa, Chandler, Chula Vista etc.. but they don't hibernate there.
Remember that to some people: stability and the Rule of Law equates to 'boring' AKA a definite lack of drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
And 2 of them (North LV and Henderson, NV) are suburbs of Vegas. I did not know Vegas was boring. I think the rest of the story is proximity.

They also listed Chula Vista, CA. That city is bounded on the west and north by San Diego.

Folks do live in Mesa, Chandler, Chula Vista etc.. but they don't hibernate there.
Imho, Forbes.com comes up with some of the stupidest lists/ratings I have ever seen. Some of their ratings, at least partially, are not even accurate and could easily misinform people.

Anyhow, I'd like to see the rationale for that particular list.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
So you consider weather being part of a reason someone moves somewhere as shallow?
Certain weather agrees with people more. You obviously love four seasons. But some people couldn't care less if they saw more than one season again for the rest of their lives.
Like, lets put it this way: I'd never move to a place like Greenland, Anchorage, or (thinks of a random Canadian city) Saskatoon SOLELY based on weather. I don't care if I would make more a year. It would NOT be worth it to me. So, I'm sure many others see it this way.
Not only do people see it this way, but they also see the untapped potential available in Phoenix. There's a reason it's the 5th largest city. People aren't just there to sit in their lawnchairs and roast their effing brains out. Sheesh.
I have mixed opinions on this. In my lifetime, I've come across numerous people who have relocated here mostly for the climate, and have found that they can be some of the most malcontented individuals on the planet. The "sun freaks" (as I affectionately nicknamed) love our weather ... but they are often the same ones who constantly complain about other things in Phoenix, such as the way we drive, the schools, the lack of diversity, the politics, the right to work laws, etc., etc. Look around on this forum alone and you will find them!

It's easy to understand why many would cite the weather/climate as one of the reasons to move here. To someone from Minnesota or Ohio where it's constantly below freezing with ice & snow all winter, 70 degrees in December would seem very appealing. There's nothing wrong with weather/climate being ONE of the reasons for moving to the Phoenix area ... but when it's the #1 reason for moving here, that IS shallow minded. In that respect, Steve-o is correct.

Let's face the facts: for the nation's fifth largest city, there is a deficiency in the number of highly reputable, globally competitive corporations with HQs here. Obviously, a sunny climate isn't attracting those lucrative firms to Phoenix! The highly educated people with marketing skills seem to be seeking the Seattles, the Bostons, and the New Yorks for their careers ... and many of them couldn't care less about sunsets, mountain views, or a warm, sunny climate.

Besides, some of us who are natives dislike the four hellish months of summer, but we contend with it because we reside here for important reasons: family, career, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I have mixed opinions on this. In my lifetime, I've come across numerous people who have relocated here mostly for the climate, and have found that they can be some of the most malcontented individuals on the planet. The "sun freaks" (as I affectionately nicknamed) love our weather ... but they are often the same ones who constantly complain about other things in Phoenix, such as the way we drive, the schools, the lack of diversity, the politics, the right to work laws, etc., etc. Look around on this forum alone and you will find them!

It's easy to understand why many would cite the weather/climate as one of the reasons to move here. To someone from Minnesota or Ohio where it's constantly below freezing with ice & snow all winter, 70 degrees in December would seem very appealing. There's nothing wrong with weather/climate being ONE of the reasons for moving to the Phoenix area ... but when it's the #1 reason for moving here, that IS shallow minded. In that respect, Steve-o is correct.

Let's face the facts: for the nation's fifth largest city, there is a deficiency in the number of highly reputable, globally competitive corporations with HQs here. Obviously, a sunny climate isn't attracting those lucrative firms to Phoenix! The highly educated people with marketing skills seem to be seeking the Seattles, the Bostons, and the New Yorks for their careers ... and many of them couldn't care less about sunsets, mountain views, or a warm, sunny climate.

Besides, some of us who are natives dislike the four hellish months of summer, but we contend with it because we reside here for important reasons: family, career, etc.
All of the above places are exorbitantly expensive as well: it is as if the putative 'creative class' places seem to be 'dumb' when it comes to affordable housing for their worker bees---------which may/will wind up biting all of the above.

I lived in California for years and once 'exposed' to Arizona: I wised up very quickly to be actually able to afford to live in something better than a hovel on a tradesman's wages.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Btw, where the heck is 'Pheonix'?

...I couldn't find it on the map!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 PM

25 posts, read 75,225 times
As an informative fact, some people are like me. I have health issues that make my muscles ache intensely when they get cold, so I guess you could say I'm coming down for the sun. One of the other reasons is that Mayo Clinic has the leading Doctor on this disease. It is very rare, about 1 in 1,000,000 get it and I got lucky. I need to be at a Mayo Hospital often, (I have been at the Rochester,MN Mayo Center 89 days in the last two years) and my choices really are to move either to Rochester,MN, or Phoenix. Lets see, one is where its hot, the other where it's cold. Hmmmmm..........not a hard choice.
Also, I don't believe Steve-o particularly wants to bash Phoenix. I think he bashes Phoenix because he is enjoying the reactions he gets. What do you think? Possible? Did I mess up your game Stevs?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
As an outsider from the midwest, I have never understood how Pheonix has been growing so fast. What is there to do in Pheonix? What is the night life like? Is there any entertainment at all? Is there any culture? Or is it just one big suburban mess in the hot desert sun like I think it is.... Am I missing something?
The scenery is awesome ... if you love the desert landscape (and I do). Plus, it's a short drive to beautiful parts of northern Arizona. Plus, there are lots of things to do in the east valley. "Culture" leaves a bit to be desired, but for guys like me, the abundance of diverse cool natural surroundings, three professional sports teams, and ASU sports more than makes up for it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM

156 posts, read 370,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its a free forum, we can post wherever we like. I post here sometimes because I CAN and because I think most of you post the most ridiculous BS Ive ever read.

And btw, I dont give a flying rats arse what you think is "classy" or not. Im not gonna lose any sleep because I failed too impress/make friends with someone named Lola from some dusty Arizona town.
You probably lose enough sleep from your severe lack of self esteem. You have to be a big internet badass and trash other people home and opinions, all the while in real life you are an empty shell who secretly hates his life.

Have a nice day.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 AM

307 posts, read 954,863 times
Default Arizona Snow day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its 8:00 pm here in IL and I just had a beer on the deck about an hour ago. Its also quiet- no car noise whatsoever (I live in a quiet part of town). There is no "dirty snow" (since it all melted in the 60 degree heat the other day), no plow trucks, etc. And when the next snow falls, I can take my son, GASP! right into the backyard where he can play with it all he wants for as long as he wants (er, at least until March). I dont have to pile him into a car, drive for several hours, waste gas, just to let him get a teasing of it, then drive him back to his rock yard where he cant enjoy it whenever he wants. I feel SAD for the kids in Phoenix, theyre missing out on soooooo much of the fun stuff that makes life and memories FUN.

Wow. Fun times for the kids!
We drove up to Show Low (2 hours Northeast of Phoenix) for the weekend - cabin was great, icy/snow roads OK thanks to plows running!

The kids had lots of fun sledding and we hiked some areas in the snow, temperatures were not bad - about 10 degrees over night low, 20/30 degrees high during the day.

On the last eveing we were there my wife asked our son if he and Jonathan would like to go out and play again (having spent countless hours the previous two days playing in the snow), his answer was:

"No, no more snow mommy, I want to go home"

They had a lot of fun, but then suddenly wanted the snow and cold "turned off".

So we drove back home to Surprise, and shed our layers on the way down as we decended the Arizona High Country!

We usually go up to Flagstaff every January to play or ski in the snow, but this time we decided to try the Rim country, AKA, Payson, Heber, Show Low, etc.

It was great!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Darrell View Post
As an informative fact, some people are like me. I have health issues that make my muscles ache intensely when they get cold, so I guess you could say I'm coming down for the sun. One of the other reasons is that Mayo Clinic has the leading Doctor on this disease. It is very rare, about 1 in 1,000,000 get it and I got lucky. I need to be at a Mayo Hospital often, (I have been at the Rochester,MN Mayo Center 89 days in the last two years) and my choices really are to move either to Rochester,MN, or Phoenix. Lets see, one is where its hot, the other where it's cold. Hmmmmm..........not a hard choice.
Also, I don't believe Steve-o particularly wants to bash Phoenix. I think he bashes Phoenix because he is enjoying the reactions he gets. What do you think? Possible? Did I mess up your game Stevs?
No joke there: I stiffen up like an old man when it is cold (below 32F at night) as well. In all fairness: a few 15F nights in a town like Globe, Az. I can deal with such temps there because are pretty rare and it warms up above 35F during the day (normal high in January is 56F) plus the sun makes things feel warmer yet.

Now: if discussing heat; the summers in places like Bullhead City, etc. do rival Chicago, Mnpls, Wash DC, etc. winters where discomfort and danger are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area