Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
The scenery is awesome ... if you love the desert landscape (and I do). Plus, it's a short drive to beautiful parts of northern Arizona. Plus, there are lots of things to do in the east valley. "Culture" leaves a bit to be desired, but for guys like me, the abundance of diverse cool natural surroundings, three professional sports teams, and ASU sports more than makes up for it.
Just curious, which of our 4 professional sports teams are you not counting???

Would it be the Cardinals, because they are not really professional...
Or did you forget the Coyotes, because who plays hockey in the desert..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Just curious, which of our 4 professional sports teams are you not counting???

Would it be the Cardinals, because they are not really professional...
Or did you forget the Coyotes, because who plays hockey in the desert..
Probably an honest oversight there missing the Coyotes.

FYI: the Cards are now in the Playoffs!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
RCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Probably an honest oversight there missing the Coyotes.

FYI: the Cards are now in the Playoffs!
I realize that and am happy for them, I am a cards fan. Just keep in mind they won the weakest division in football. It also doesn't look good for them that there are still 5000 seats available and if they don't sell by 2:30 today the game will be blacked out locally. Name another city where that would happen.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I realize that and am happy for them, I am a cards fan. Just keep in mind they won the weakest division in football. It also doesn't look good for them that there are still 5000 seats available and if they don't sell by 2:30 today the game will be blacked out locally. Name another city where that would happen.
Believe me, I'm truly disappointed over the fact that OUR Cardinals have gone to the playoffs for the first time in over five decades, and hardly anyone is buying tickets. But then, it seems that all four of our pro sports teams face the same dilemma. Even during the 2001 World Series, our DBacks were allowed to be ridiculed (regardless of the fact that they WON). The Coyotes continue to have extremely low ticket sales as well.

I blame a lot of that on the transplant factor. Most everyone here is from somewhere else, and there's not enough loyalty to local professional sports. Go to any sports bar in & around Phoenix, and you'll see people talking about "their" teams (the Steelers, the Yankees, the Red Wings, or the Pistons). Hardly any whoop about our Cards, Suns, DBacks, or Coyotes, even when they're doing well.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:26 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
You probably lose enough sleep from your severe lack of self esteem. You have to be a big internet badass and trash other people home and opinions, all the while in real life you are an empty shell who secretly hates his life.

Have a nice day.
Steve-O stirring up things again? I put that guy on ignore a long time ago. Unfortunately, I catch some of his posts when people use the quote function to reply to him.

He's a "wannabe" Scottsdale snob. Very strange. His in-laws live there so he just parrots what he hears when he's visiting. Very sad.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I can only speak for myself. As another midwesterner, the thought of spending another winter in Ohio where the sun might not shine for weeks at a time, makes the idea of a place where the hot sun beats down day after day sound very attractive. I would move there in a heartbeat.
I lived there through a Phoenix summer in the late 60's and loved it.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
I moved from Illinois to Arizona in 1985 because of climate. I work on golf courses and it was seasonal work back there.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Steve-O,

Chicago is a great city and that is why I live here, but Chicago has a dismal economy, extremely high cost of living (now officially higher than Boston and DC), very high crime in the urban areas (much higher than Phoenix), and all the top notch schools are in places where you need at least $1 million to get a house that you'd pay $500,000 for in Phoenix and be in a good school district. Arizona continues to grow it's economy it's attracting high-tech companies. While Illinois continues to lose jobs and people. Phoenix has maintained a relatively low cost of living compared to cities of comparable size. There are many more reasons people move to Phoenix besides the weather. Have you seen the established areas of Phoenix? Do you know how pretty they are? Those areas like Arcadia and North Central don't have rock yards. They have pretty green grass and beautiful trees and bushes. Arizona is definitely a place I am actively considering if my Utah move doesn't work out this fall.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:52 PM
RCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Believe me, I'm truly disappointed over the fact that OUR Cardinals have gone to the playoffs for the first time in over five decades, and hardly anyone is buying tickets. But then, it seems that all four of our pro sports teams face the same dilemma. Even during the 2001 World Series, our DBacks were allowed to be ridiculed (regardless of the fact that they WON). The Coyotes continue to have extremely low ticket sales as well.

I blame a lot of that on the transplant factor. Most everyone here is from somewhere else, and there's not enough loyalty to local professional sports. Go to any sports bar in & around Phoenix, and you'll see people talking about "their" teams (the Steelers, the Yankees, the Red Wings, or the Pistons). Hardly any whoop about our Cards, Suns, DBacks, or Coyotes, even when they're doing well.
I'm with you on this one. I try to go to as many games as I can but it is hard to "stay out of trouble" when there are so many jerseys from the opposing team in the stands.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM

173 posts, read 465,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
These threads get so tiresome. Honestly, how can one compare Phoenix to Chicago? It's apples to oranges. Again, it all depends on what one's personal preferences and priorities are. One is a world class city, but with very cold weather half the year and boring topography; the other is a mediocre city with brutally hot weather half the year, but nice winters and interesting topography.
Seriously, why do some people insist on comparing the 2 cities?

Compared to NYC, Chicago is "the second city." I was born & raised in NYC, and I love the Phoenix area just fine, thank you. I celebrate the positive side of it, rather than trying to compare it to something it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area