Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 71,127 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Just a quite question about how a family with two male parents would be viewed in the suburbs of Phoenix?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM

34 posts, read 103,430 times
I think everyone will view this in there own way. We have a 4yr old boy and he has two mom's People look at us some time, but we dont care. We think it is special to have two mom's some kids dont even have one. Not to mention to loving dad's. I think it more accepted these days than it would have been several years ago.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
Hi everyone. Just a quite question about how a family with two male parents would be viewed in the suburbs of Phoenix?

Thanks.
It may depend on the suburb. It may not go over big in Gilbert.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Try Tempe. Much more liberal area than some of the other 'burbs.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM

I see. How about the northern parts of Scottsdale? Areas with lot's of hiking, biking, and parks nearby for the kids and some trails to mountain bike for the dad's?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
lots of Jewish folks in Scottsdale, no idea how open they are to gay couples. There are some gays in Scottsdale, but I wouldn't know if there is a gay district like Phoenix proper has. Though it seems Arizona is more open to gay's then California is, as strange as that is.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM

We actually don't want to be anywhere near a "gay" district, or an area with a large concentration of gay folks. Rather an area that is "cool" with it. We really don't want to raise our kids in an area with a large gay influence. I know that sounds really contradictory, but it is what it is. We're just looking for a wholesome, family-friendly, clean area with many outdoors activities for the kids and us.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpilotfriend View Post
We actually don't want to be anywhere near a "gay" district, or an area with a large concentration of gay folks. Rather an area that is "cool" with it. We really don't want to raise our kids in an area with a large gay influence. I know that sounds really contradictory, but it is what it is. We're just looking for a wholesome, family-friendly, clean area with many outdoors activities for the kids and us.
There is no gay district in the valley. Even the areas with a higher gay population are not like what you would find in San Francisco or New York. There are a lot of gays that prefer to live in Phoenix for the same reasons you cite. They want to live in place that has tolerance to homosexuals but are not necessarily seeking to be surrounded by a strong gay presence or culture. So I would probably try to live in one of these areas such as Arcadia in Phoenix, Ahwautukee, Tempe, or South Scottsdale.

The only areas that I would strictly avoid would be Gilbert, and Mesa. They have large Mormon and Evangelical population that may not be so tolerant toward homosexuals. Mesa kind of reminds me of Oklahoma. It lacks the pretentious and ostentatious attitude of other parts of the valley but is also a little more blue collar, conservative and simple. To each his or her own. I know people who prefer Mesa for those very reasons; they want inexpensive housing and they could care less for the pretentious aspects of other parts of the valley.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-28-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM

235 posts, read 756,688 times
Do you have to move to Phoenix? Maybe got a new job or something else? I'm not gay but a lot of people think I am. I get gay bashed on a constant basis. Seeing as I'm not gay, I could imagine how bad it would be for someone who was. Look for a city with an open mind. Lets say you move to Tempe, and the bashing is not as frequent, is it really worth moving out here and not wanting to leave a certain area because 2 blocks away they have a different mind set? Also think about your children. I could not imagine how poorly they would be treated in the Scottsdale schools by snotty golden boys who pick on anyone out side of their circle. If you have any more questions about this area message me, I wont sugar coat it at all.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Do you have to move to Phoenix? Maybe got a new job or something else? I'm not gay but a lot of people think I am. I get gay bashed on a constant basis. Seeing as I'm not gay, I could imagine how bad it would be for someone who was. Look for a city with an open mind. Lets say you move to Tempe, and the bashing is not as frequent, is it really worth moving out here and not wanting to leave a certain area because 2 blocks away they have a different mind set? Also think about your children. I could not imagine how poorly they would be treated in the Scottsdale schools by snotty golden boys who pick on anyone out side of their circle. If you have any more questions about this area message me, I wont sugar coat it at all.
Ignore this person. In the previous thread, he has already stated the that downtown Phoenix is overrun by crackheads and prostitutes. He also stated the newspapers and media are wrong in regards to the productivity of the new light rail and that it will completely disappear soon. This person obviously is obviously disgruntled with Phoenix and obviously has an agenda to put down Phoenix and will say anything to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area