Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 66,768 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I lurk often, posted infrequently. This is truly a great place to hang out and learn.

As the title says, my wife and I have been in Scottsdale for a year in a rental home. We like Phoenix and have decided to stay for a few years at least.

We close on our home in Dove Valley Ranch next week. We couldn't be more excited.

We were able to pick up the home, a bank owned property, in great shape for <$100 per square foot. I feel like we got a great deal. It's missing a couple of appliances, but after seening a bunch of forclosures...this one is in good shape.

Anyway, I have some questions on the place.

Does Cave Creek have the same water problems as Anthem? I'm not sure I understand it well, but I know Anthem residents are getting large water bills.

Anything else I should know about Cave Creek in general?

How's cell service out there? I keep forgetting to check when we go look.

Anyone on the board live/lived in DVR?

The community is gated (without an attendant)...never lived in one before. Is there anything to be aware of?

I know it's the desert, anyone living in or around the area have any comments on how active the wildlife is? I have 3 small dogs, and my property backs up to a small wash...I'm worried about Coyotes. We've had a couple of scorpions in Scottsdale, so I'm already used to that, but wondering if there might be more in Cave Creek?

How bad does the traffic back up on Cave Creek Road?

Thanks, I'll post more questions in this thread as they come up. I'm pretty happy to purchase in a town where the election could be decided by a deck of cards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 65,426 times
I don't now much about Cave Creek but I would definitely look out for coyotes. Especially if your property backs up to a wash. We live in SE Mesa in the middle of a well established neighborhood but with open desert not too far away. About 3 weeks ago there was a coyote strolling along the top of our 6' block fence. I had just let the dogs out (two 15 yr old Border Collies) at 5:45 in the morning and happened to go out with them, which I don't normally do. I caught something on the fence out of the corner of my eye and there he was. Just trotting along. He stopped when he got to the back fence and turned and looked at me. I yelled at him and he jumped in the yard behind us. I don't think he would have bothered our dogs due to their size and number, but I have heard of smaller dogs being killed not too far from where we live.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Be aware that we have javelinas in C.C. The ones that hang around our house seem to be mostly nocturnal, but we have had them on the front door step in the middle of the afternoon. (Though it's been a few years since that happened.) They love quail blocks and will pretty much play kickball with them while they eat away on them. For that reason I no longer put the blocks out. They'll also eat any small decorative plants you put out even some cacti. Forget having something like geraniums... they won't last. Also they pee and leave scent markers everywhere and the smell is not enjoyable. While I first looked on them as a curiosity, I decided I didn't want them anywhere around my house so I leave out nothing that will invite them to come by. This was their desert first.

There are also bobcats in the area though I've only seen one in three years here. Coyotes are common. They'll go anywhere. A few years ago one attacked a woman coming out of the library at Tatum and Cave Creek. If I remember correctly, she worked at a deli and it was decided that she had the smell of meat on her clothing. You'll notice on the doors to the library notices that there are coyotes, rattlers, etc. in the area and to keep your eyes open and be aware of them. The only rattler I've seen was in the parking lot at the Target on N. Scottsale and he was pretty much squished. Oh, once in a while someone's steer gets loose and will block the road. And please remember that this is horse country. If you see someone riding along one of the roads slow down and give them plenty of room if that is at all possible. (Most often you'll get a thank-you wave in return.)

To us, it's a blessing to live a little further out from all the noise and congestion. And it's a straight shot down the 101 to UoP stadium for the Cardinals games!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM

286 posts, read 678,346 times
A...this is a desert....and we have settled and are encroaching on their territory.You bet there are coyotes and other God's creatures....they were here first.
I live with my BIG German Shepherd Dog.....where he goes,I go...on leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area