Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 73,441 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I meant Snakes not "snacks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM

25 posts, read 73,441 times
What about openness to welcome outsiders?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Cancerrph,

Unfortunately, Arizona is a generally a Republican state. In other words everyone for themselves selfish type attitude. You won't get much help from the locals (as you can tell from the above posters) because of that. If you need any information feel free to pm me. I lived there for over 30 years so I will help you the best I can.
"everyone for themselves selfish attitude?" Lots of people have been helping newcomers here for a long time, myself included. I suggested that the OP use the search function because there is such a WEALTH of information already here, both on the broad general questions asked and other related topics. Explaining how to use the search function IS helpful. I use it myself all the time.

To the OP-- I certainly did not mean to sound unwelcoming, If I did, I apologize. Your questions were broad ones (nothing wrong with that) on which there is a wealth of information already here that shouldn't go to waste just because it is not on the front page of the forum.

There are Jewish Community Centers here and several synagogues... that is not my faith, so I don't have a lot of details for you. There was a thread recently discussing the subject, I know, and synapse's post is correct as well. There are many lovely suburbs (I'm biased toward Tempe, but there are others-- where you might be most comfortable depends on what is most important to you to have nearby, and where you are working, to avoid a really long commute).

Summer heat, well, yes, but we do not have to shovel it, and the rest of the year is quite lovely. (And, if we didn't have the summer heat, there would be SO many people here we'd be in gridlock, so we are kind of grateful for it)

Best of luck in your search! (we have WAY more snacks here than snakes!!)

Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
"Arizona is a generally a Republican state. In other words everyone for themselves selfish type attitude."

Wow, really? To me, it says that Arizonans don't like the government digging into their pockets for worthless and/or poorly run programs. I'd also say things like family values are important (something Las Vegas knows very little about).

Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post

If I understand JCC to be "Junior Community College" or something of the sort (my folks are from Overland Park), then you are in luck because the Maricopa Community College system is excellent. There are schools spread all across the valley including Rio Salado for a good selection of online courses.

I think other people answered your other questions better than I could, so I'll let it go at that.
JCC is Jewish Community Center. The main one as the other poster said is in Scottsdale.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,328 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, Arizona is a generally a Republican state. In other words everyone for themselves selfish type attitude.
Rubbish!! Political affliation has NOTHING to do with character. Some of the most abyssmal people I have ever met described themselves as liberal Democrats - try again.

One will encounter good and bad people wherever they go. The Valley is abit different in terms of social milieu due to the high amount of transience (folks moving in and out) - a situation similar to Southern Cal.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM

57 posts, read 168,113 times
Politics aside.. is it possible to get a lot with more than a 1/4 of an acre? Are there "neighborhoods" with 1-2 acres that are affordable? Do large lots even exist?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Mom View Post
Politics aside.. is it possible to get a lot with more than a 1/4 of an acre? Are there "neighborhoods" with 1-2 acres that are affordable? Do large lots even exist?
Cul-de-sac lots are larger usually. And there are neighborhoods with 1-2 acres surprisingly close in. Affordable though? I suppose it depends on what you mean. It'll cost you maybe 100K more for a comparable home for the lot in the more seedy looking ones. In some "tony" subdivisions 1/2 acre lots go for 200K plus. For all the whining about sprawl here, Phoenix actually is pretty tight-packed these days with 6 homes per acre being the current standard. It closely resembles row housing in places where the oversized McMansions are put on these tiny lots.

You can get larger 8-10K sf lots by going to older neighborhoods - ones built 10-20 years ago when that size was common. Some developments (like Vistancia and Estrella) also have 10K lots, but the homes are the premium ones (300-400K PLUS).

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-23-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

57 posts, read 168,113 times
^Yes^ McMansions. lol Affordable for me is under 200,000 - maybe even closer to 150,000.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Mom View Post
^Yes^ McMansions. lol Affordable for me is under 200,000 - maybe even closer to 150,000.
Well, you're probably looking at the small lots then. although you should be able to find a CDS lot for that money in the short term anyway. On the positive side, at least we have block walls around our back yards here and that does provide a sense of private space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area