Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Mom View Post
^Yes^ McMansions. lol Affordable for me is under 200,000 - maybe even closer to 150,000.
I don't think you are going to find anything on a 1-2 acre lot for that price unless it is WAY out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
1. where are the best places to live to raise good kids, in a family friendly area? Preferaby near Jewish synagogues, JCC etc.

Since you are seeking living near a synagogues, I would recommend Scottsdale or Tempe.

2. What are some nice suburbs?

Too many to list, each city has several neighborhoods. The general consensus is renting and spending at least 6 months here before buying. Unlike most cities, Phoenix doesn't have it's one nice area(s) and the rest are all average to bad. I would say the majority of Phoenix consists of nice suburbs. The challenge lies in what style of suburb you seek. Do you want lakes, do you want to live near entertainment, do you want privacy. Do you want to live near other professionals? There are upscale neighborhoods of every style here.

3. How is the weather really?

It's amazing. The only two areas with better weather in the country is southern California and Hawaii. Outside of those areas, Phoenix has the best weather in the country. Our summers are hot but not humid so it's not as bad some make it out to be. The weather here is nearly perfect from mid October to mid May. By perfect, I mean sunny and clear skies, no rain...perfect. We don't get overcast days here. It either perfect and sunny or it rains.

4. What exactly is a monsoon?

It's an exaggerrated term of a real monsoon (ie India) meaning you will have a sudden downpour of rain. Think of it like concentrated rainfall with wind. It doesn't happen often but it will suddenly rain hard for an hour and then stop.

5. Are there alot of bugs? Snacks? etc...

I'm going to answer this question relatively meaning relative to other cities with bugs. Of course Phoenix has bugs just like every city in the U.S. has bugs. Compared to Florida, Texas, the midwest etc. we don't have bugs. We do have scorpions but in my experience, you don't experience those unless you live near natural terrain like the mountains. The majority in the suburbs don't experience them. It's too dry for most bugs (mosquitoes, flies, bees, hornets) to survive. Of course, some moronic hater will chime in and provide an example of bees or some other rare insect/bug but in all of those isolated cases, there is usually a reason like the person owns a large bird bath and garden in their backyard. There is always a strange reason behind these occurence but for average Joe Phoenix who has a pool in his or her backyard, you don't worry about insects or bugs. As with anything there are exceptions. If you live near the mountains, you can deal with havalina pigs, coyotes and diamondback snakes...again, I had to state the obvious because the haters watch these posts like a home monitoring system that looks for any statement they can contradict in absolute terms without applying general consensus or common sense practical situations to them.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerrph View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Phoenix (Scottsdale) area with our two small kids (3 and 5). We are currently living in Kansas City (Overland Park), we originally moved to KC from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to get away from the congestion and raise our kids in a "better place". Over the past 5 years we have reallized we don't like the cold and have developed allergies. So, we are considering a move to the Phoenix (Scottsdale) area. I would like to know you opinions on various topics. I have researched but want to hear from locals. Thanks for all your feedback, please be honest and tell me the good, the bad and ugly.

1. where are the best places to live to raise good kids, in a family friendly area? Preferaby near Jewish synagogues, JCC etc.

Phoenix is not your place to find Jewish synogogues. Save that for the East coast. There are many more mormons here than Jews. As far as "family friendly areas" goes, each Phoenix suburb has its good and bad areas. You will have to find out which is best for you.

2. I dont know what constitutes "nice" for you. Each community has its own flair: Scottsdale is swanky, Mesa is slower in pace, Tempe is "loud" and young (due to ASU).

3. The weather is oppressive and in the tripple digits from May to October. You can hardly go outside or even touch you door handle of your car. People in the Midwest hibernate indoors in the winter and Phoenicians hibernate in the summer.

4. A monsoon is basically a summer storm that results in wind, lightning and some rain. Dont fret the word MONSOON, they are not as strong as they sound, but they CAN be. The monsoons bring higher humidity and can be a relief from the dryness.

5. Not many bugs. I rarely come across mosquitos, like in the Midwest. However, you may see a gecko. They are cute. If you are nice enough to them, perhaps they would give U a great deal on car insurance.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
There is an Orthodox Jewish area in north central Phoenix. I do not know the specifics. I see them walking to services. I was told they are not allowed to drive on the Jewish Sabbath. I believe if you do some more research online you can find the info you need RE synagogues in Phoenix.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to get away from the congestion and raise our kids in a "better place". Thanks for all your feedback, please be honest and tell me the good, the bad and ugly.

You are crazy for moving from Florida to Arizona. The education system has been recently heavily invested in technology and a change in how kids are taught. There is many positive things coming out of the Florida education system. Moving around is dramatic enough for a child.

1.)Since we are on the topic of religion, North Scottsdale has a high Jewish community.

2.)nice suburbs all over and since you are wanting a "jewish" area, North Scottsdale.

3.)Phoenix is hot. Anyone that tells you else wise is lying. Sure we have our nice days, but it gets hot with no relief in sight. Tucson has better summer relief than Phoenix.

4.)
mon⋅soon

 /mɒnˈsun/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mon-soon] Show IPA Use monsoon in a Sentence

–noun 1. the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter. 2. (in India and nearby lands) the season during which the southwest monsoon blows, commonly marked by heavy rains; rainy season. 3. any wind that changes directions with the seasons. 4. any persistent wind established between water and adjoining land.

Origin:
1575–85; < D monssoen (now obs.) < Pg monção, earlier moução < Ar mawsim season

Related forms:
mon⋅soon⋅al, adjective

It's the hot, rainy weather we get from Mexico.

5.)Bugs and snacks... What's a snack?

There are lots of bugs if you are near water and not many if you are away from water like any other place.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering moving to the Phoenix (Scottsdale) area with our two small kids (3 and 5). We are currently living in Kansas City (Overland Park), we originally moved to KC from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to get away from the congestion and raise our kids in a "better place". Over the past 5 years we have reallized we don't like the cold and have developed allergies. So, we are considering a move to the Phoenix (Scottsdale) area. I would like to know you opinions on various topics. I have researched but want to hear from locals. Thanks for all your feedback, please be honest and tell me the good, the bad and ugly.

1) As most have said, Scottsdale or Tempe if you really need to live near a Jewish synagogue.

2) All of the suburban cities are nice and they generally have several nice neighborhoods with 1 so-so area.

3) Weather is really hot from May through mid Oct. But you've lived in FL so you will surely adjust. I prefer the summers in Phoenix over the summers in FL. The humidity is a killer.

From late Oct thru the end of April the weather is really nice. Once again, being from FL you'll notice the similarities.

4) Monsoons are storms that bring lots of rain, wind and lighting. Sort of like the 3pm afternoon thunderstorms that are prevalent in FL during the summer.

5) Not a lot bugs. Nothing like what you saw in FL which can be a relief.

There are plenty of snacks in the area. You can get chips, candy bars, now-n-laters, little debbie cakes. Whatever you desire. However, you'll have to search a bit for the cuban pastries (o man how I miss those).

Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Phoenix is not your place to find Jewish synogogues. Save that for the East coast. There are many more mormons here than Jews. As far as "family friendly areas" goes, each Phoenix suburb has its good and bad areas. You will have to find out which is best for you.

2. I dont know what constitutes "nice" for you. Each community has its own flair: Scottsdale is swanky, Mesa is slower in pace, Tempe is "loud" and young (due to ASU).

3. The weather is oppressive and in the tripple digits from May to October. You can hardly go outside or even touch you door handle of your car. People in the Midwest hibernate indoors in the winter and Phoenicians hibernate in the summer.

4. A monsoon is basically a summer storm that results in wind, lightning and some rain. Dont fret the word MONSOON, they are not as strong as they sound, but they CAN be. The monsoons bring higher humidity and can be a relief from the dryness.

5. Not many bugs. I rarely come across mosquitos, like in the Midwest. However, you may see a gecko. They are cute. If you are nice enough to them, perhaps they would give U a great deal on car insurance.
Take this person's critical posts with a grain of salt -- hates it here, wants to return to the Midwest. This place is nowhere near perfect by any means, but don't judge it through this poster's eyes.

Are there "more" synagogues in other cities? I'm sure. But, there are several here, as others have noted.

One more comment. This poster must not have spent much time in Tempe beyond the campus and its immediate perimeter. The city as a whole is neither "loud" nor "young". If you come to visit, take a look at Tempe, along with other suburbs. It has a lot to offer.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times

not the largest jewish population out here, but I did used to work with a couple who grew up out here - they tended to indicate that the main pockets were in north central phoenix and into NE Phoenix/Scottsdale

I don't remember seeing a synagogue in the SW Valley - maybe a place like chandler could work though (although I don't know if there are a lot there either)

Good ones all over the place. You will probably need to find the balance of schools, demographics and commute that work for you and your family. This is usually something that can be accomplished though.

The heat isn't any fun. It's pretty much relentless with the sun constantly bearing down on you. However, it's a convenient misery. I have yet to have an event "sunned out", wrecked my car because there was sun on the road, ruined clothes because I had to scrape the sun off my car or shoes because they put down a bunch of corrosive material to combat the sun .......... think of it kind of like reverse winter - there are some who love it, some who hate it and most who just deal with it ........ it is an adjustment though

Basically the wind pattern changes and the dew points rise. With that comes increased storm activity. Usually resulting in clouds, high winds, lightning and even some intense thunderstorms and dust storms. Certain parts of the city have more intense storms than others. The mixed bag is that although the temps will go down a little the humidity will rise with it. They usually go for a solid 6 week period between july & august - although the season is now much larger than that. It can provide some nice relief though when the rains do come and the temps drop 30-40 degrees.

I saw more snakes growing up in the NE than I do down here. I think your exposure to things like snakes, scorpions, etc have to deal with the activities you partake in, where you go and where you live. I have had no issues with any of them. Our bugs tend to crawl around more than fly around. Once again I find this to be more convenient. I don't breath gnats when I'm outside in the summer and don't spend time swatting mosquitos or bathing in bug repellent.

On a misc. note I have actually developed allergies since moving out here and it's not that uncommon. It all depends on what will set you off. They've gotten to the point where i'm getting shots for them now. The metro isn't all that dense, but can get congested at times. However, the nice thing is that although we are car reliant most daily things are really close to wherever you will call home.

Also, this place is very friendly to newcomers. There are so many transplants out here it's not an uncommon occurence. I remember when I moved to mpls people were very suspicious of why someone from the east coast would move there and everyone was very guarded. Out here it's just a way of life.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM

70 posts, read 244,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Cancerrph,

Unfortunately, Arizona is a generally a Republican state. In other words everyone for themselves selfish type attitude. You won't get much help from the locals (as you can tell from the above posters) because of that. If you need any information feel free to pm me. I lived there for over 30 years so I will help you the best I can.
All I have seen of your posts in the last couple of days is to crap on AZ. Have another drink and go back to Bally's. I don't understand where your anger and ignorance comes from and why you feel the need to spread your manure all over this site.

Arizona is fully of nice and friendly people. I currently live in a wacko liberal area (the bay area) and find most of the people here to be rude and have a stick up their arses. I go to Phoenix to feed my soul with goodness and to experience friendly people for a change. So I'd have to completely disagree with your opinion. I find it exactly the opposite (the more crazy liberal the area, the more full of smugness, rudeness and selfish the people are). Long live AZ, and long live the great friendly people there too.

By the way, I love going to Vegas too, but you are not doing the place any favors with what you spew.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:11 PM

70 posts, read 244,602 times
On another note:

I may be weird, but I find it strange that people are so afraid of the summer heat. Each year, including next week, I try to get out to AZ with my wife for a nice hot holiday. We do a lot of things outside and usually go for a nice walk each day. I understand it may be hard when not on vacation, because it seems to be so hot, but as long as you have A/C, drink lots of water, and wear sunscreen, you'll be good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area