Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Then I'd suggest NOT living in Phoenix since we average about 3 months of 100 degree weather in the desert... Like wise, if you don't like 3 months of sub-32 degree weather I'd advise you not to live in many northern tier states. But yes, in Phoenix 90 and 80 degrees feels very cool because a huge lack of humidity this time of year...think 5%. That makes it feel 5 degrees or so cooler. Also, the 60's and 70's in the morning feel even colder... they are expecting a stronger front to move through and there are no longer ANY 90's in the 7 days forecast after tomorrow's high of 90.
That's the thing because PHX is usually dry and not humid like Miami. That would definitely make it more manageable even for me. We get heat in CA too but the difference is it doesn't last as long. I have to admit that PHX weather certainly beats Boston. I started a thread a while ago comparing the two cities and I've always heard how bad Boston winters are. At least in PHX you won't be dripping with sweat after 20 minutes Even though I'm not a heat lover, PHX heat does not last the whole year, 5 months is usually how long it is am I right? Here in LA when the heat is combined with the pollution, THAT is the part I don't like more than anything because it aggravates my allergies. But otherwise when you are in a situation where you have to deal with something, you find a way.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 10-09-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: add more text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
I've been bugging my wife, because she's the bread winner, to look for a job in the Cities or the Pacific NW. I think I'm becoming to acclimated to this desert heat. I grew up in one of the coldest parts of the lower 48 and I have been freezing the past few days.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 29,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I am going to miss the summer; no more swimming and definitely NO more swimming at night!!! The summer is a great time for desert dwellers. Now we'll have to wear pants, shoes, and long sleeve shirts ALL the time, heaven forbid! But I appreciate every season...there is just something about a desert summer...the crisp morning and evening air is cool though!

So check out this BLUSTERY forecast:

Fri 93/61
Sat 88/65
Sun 90/71
Mon 85/65
Tue 87/62
Wed 90/63

Break out the parkas!
I'll take the heat! My husband and I will be moving to AZ shortly. We are coming from PA (Philly area) and currently the temp is 42, gray skies, rain and wind. My heavy coat and boots are already pulled from the basement. I HATE the cold. Back aches from shivering, throwing up from trying to shovel a driveway on a steep incline, running out of anti-freeze on the highway and not being able to see due the heavy salt being splashed on the windshield by other cars, not mention taking showers to warm up only to be afraid of opening the bathroom door! All this and I could go on! People say you get used to the cold, but as a 27 year resident I have yet to. I'm sure I'll be "one of those people" who will be wearing a t-shirt on Christmas since anything above 30 degrees will feel warm. Can't wait I certainly look forward to your "blustery" forecast!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 PM

31 posts, read 47,688 times
It's funny that the heat is what draws in new residents, and drives out the old. I don't think I'd like living elsewhere. Maybe the northern area of the state, but I'm a thin-skinned lizard. I like walking out my front door and getting enveloped in a blanket of heat. My siblings think I'm nuts.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We lived in northern CA and the heat in the Chico area would compete with our hottest days here. 122 and the farmers start flooding the rice fields and we almost passed out walking to our cars. Granted it only lasted a couple of days vs some of our heat waves, but hot is hot. They named their baseball team Chico Heat.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ked23us View Post
I'll take the heat! My husband and I will be moving to AZ shortly. We are coming from PA (Philly area) and currently the temp is 42, gray skies, rain and wind. My heavy coat and boots are already pulled from the basement. I HATE the cold.
It was a warm one today alright. We topped out at 89 degrees, and it is the middle of October LOL.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:43 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I saw 97 on the weather channel thingee in Casa Grande. AC has been on, but I should be able to shut off and open up in an hour or so where it's dark now...

Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnbird View Post
It's funny that the heat is what draws in new residents, and drives out the old. I don't think I'd like living elsewhere. Maybe the northern area of the state, but I'm a thin-skinned lizard. I like walking out my front door and getting enveloped in a blanket of heat. My siblings think I'm nuts.
I was talking about this with my mother today (who has lived here for over 50 years). She and my father both moved here primarily for job opportunities, and to escape the unionized workforce where they were from. Although the climate wasn't the main reason they moved here, she admitted that one of the things that attracted her to Phoenix was the sunshine. Funny that 50 years later, she (like me) is tired of the same kind of weather virtually every day, and has also noticed the summers becoming longer & more intense. People who move here mainly for the weather aren't really looking at the big picture. Sure, it seems great at first ... but give it several years, and it becomes quite monotonous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It was a warm one today alright. We topped out at 89 degrees, and it is the middle of October LOL.
Add 11 degrees to that, and you'll get today's high temperature in Phoenix. That's right! We hit 100 today ... just as most of us thought that the 100 degree temps were finished for the year.

The temperatures in Las Vegas seem to vary a lot more than in Phoenix. Vegas has colder winters, and your springs & falls seem to average about five to ten degrees cooler as well. However, the summers can be just as hot as Phoenix's.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I was talking about this with my mother today (who has lived here for over 50 years). She and my father both moved here primarily for job opportunities, and to escape the unionized workforce where they were from. Although the climate wasn't the main reason they moved here, she admitted that one of the things that attracted her to Phoenix was the sunshine. Funny that 50 years later, she (like me) is tired of the same kind of weather virtually every day, and has also noticed the summers becoming longer & more intense. People who move here mainly for the weather aren't really looking at the big picture. Sure, it seems great at first ... but give it several years, and it becomes quite monotonous.

Add 11 degrees to that, and you'll get today's high temperature in Phoenix. That's right! We hit 100 today ... just as most of us thought that the 100 degree temps were finished for the year.

The temperatures in Las Vegas seem to vary a lot more than in Phoenix. Vegas has colder winters, and your springs & falls seem to average about five to ten degrees cooler as well. However, the summers can be just as hot as Phoenix's.
True, officially 89 today in Vegas, 100 for Phoenix.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

It was 92F today where I am at but we are supposed to be cooling off for the weekend. I am not a heat lover, but I came to CA not by choice but because of circumstances beyond my control. I won't move anywhere right now because the economy is not doing too good. So I have to tough it out and honestly, this place is not bad at all
It actually felt like it was humid today and it felt like it was a 98F day in South Florida if you can believe that. I was outdoors because I had things to do and I was walking home after lunch at a local restaurant. By the time I got back home, there were wet marks on the front of my shirt. Contrary to what people may think, LA heat is not always dry, but in most cases it is. As hot as it was today, it probably is better than a Buffalo, NY winter.
So just try to hang in there if you can.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 10-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: add more text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area