Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM

25 posts, read 49,940 times

Advertisements

Say I draw a line from the center of Chandler out, oh, 15 miles in a straight line and call it the radius of a circle. What sort of drive time would I be looking at; minimum to maximum approximation? I'm just trying to get a feel for it in my head. Right now, I live not quite 17 miles from work and it takes me 25-30 minutes drivetime going and coming. Of course, I'm going in the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic both times, so I understand if that seems quick.

Thanks for any input anyone's willing to provide and I'll probably throw more questions out there as they occur to me. Trying to keep my brain occupied with the details in an effort not to go screaming bonkers from the fear that I won't be able to find a job as a business and/or computer teacher with any high school in the area even with 14 years and four endorsements from MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,353,424 times
Remember that you can also drive SOUTH into Pinal county districts if you desire. Matter of fact from a traffic perspective you ll be going the opposite direction of most at the times you would be driving.

Districts might not be quite as appealing, but may be easier to get a position in these times. Im talking like Florence, Queen Creek (both Maricopa County and Pinal County versions), Coolidge, or even Casa Grande is only 35 mins from Chandler all freeway.

Just a thought. People tend to draw this thick line at the south end of Chandler sometimes because the Indian Reservation starts there and is so large there isnt alot of population visible for awhile.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 AM

27 posts, read 58,968 times
Hi, you may just find that tiny adobe rental near downtown Chandler, but in a not-so-great neighborhood... as for moving here during the summer, be warned.... IT IS HOT!! to get an idea of how it feels, turn your oven on to 400 or so, open the door and let the heat blast your face.... when your mascara begins to melt, you've duplicated the feeling. So, be prepared! (how do you prepare? I'm still trying to figure that one out). As for seafood? We have a great restaurant in South Scottsdale called the Salt Cellar that has awesome food. Pricey, but great! Also another one in Phoenix called the Fish Market. Chandler is overall a great place to live but some neighborhoods are going a bit "downhill" if you know what I mean. Good luck finding a teaching job, it's very tough right now, and you should be aware that our state is in one of the worst budget crisises EVER thanks to many factors, one being our lovely ex-Governor who jumped ship to go to Washington DC to continue to do NOTHING with her talents. I'm personally getting ready to leave this lovely area. So, good luck with your move ! hope it goes well for ya!!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniAZmom View Post
Hi, you may just find that tiny adobe rental near downtown Chandler, but in a not-so-great neighborhood... as for moving here during the summer, be warned.... IT IS HOT!! to get an idea of how it feels, turn your oven on to 400 or so, open the door and let the heat blast your face.... when your mascara begins to melt, you've duplicated the feeling. So, be prepared! (how do you prepare? I'm still trying to figure that one out). As for seafood? We have a great restaurant in South Scottsdale called the Salt Cellar that has awesome food. Pricey, but great! Also another one in Phoenix called the Fish Market. Chandler is overall a great place to live but some neighborhoods are going a bit "downhill" if you know what I mean. Good luck finding a teaching job, it's very tough right now, and you should be aware that our state is in one of the worst budget crisises EVER thanks to many factors, one being our lovely ex-Governor who jumped ship to go to Washington DC to continue to do NOTHING with her talents. I'm personally getting ready to leave this lovely area. So, good luck with your move ! hope it goes well for ya!!
Have fun melting your mascara in that Florida summer humidity.. Been there, done that, can't do it again. Glad you are going someplace you think you will like better!

Ditto on your seafood recommendations. There are a couple of others that I'm thinking of too, just need to verify the locations and that they are still there.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM

525 posts, read 542,014 times
Hi--
For a haircut, check out Kim at Saratoga Ponytails. I have used her for years. She is great!
Tasty seafood - The Salt cellar has been in Arizona forever. Sushi Eye in downtown Chandler is also good.
Cellphone provider--avoid AT &T like the plague--I would say Verizon has the best coverage.
Living in the Chandler, Gilbert area is great and you have made a wise choice in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastgirl61 View Post
Good afternoon from the Gulf Coast. I am a high school teacher with 14 years of classroom experience licensed to teach business and computer classes. I have a great career working with great people for a great district, but that's pretty much all I have at this point. This area has become familiar to the point of contempt, to paraphrase a cliche.

I plan to move to Chandler next summer barring any major stumbling blocks, so I'm not looking for advice as to whether I should or shouldn't relocate. What I would like, from anyone who's willing to add his/her two-cents' worth, is just personalized, individualized, non-generic comments and/or recommendations and/or links about the Chandler/Gilbert area.

Examples:
Know anyone with a tiny adobe house on a teeny lot for a reasonably priced lease in a part of town safe enough for an old, single schoolteacher?
Where can a gal with a cowlick get a good haircut?
Is it possible to get tasty seafood in the desert?
What's the best cellphone provider for someone making lots of long calls back to the Magnolia state?
AND/OR anything you'd like to tell me about living in the Chandler/Gilbert area.

I'd really like to hear only from those people who actually live in Chandler or Gilbert. Phoenix, like New Orleans, has such a strong individuality that comparisions between it (Phx) and outlying towns are mostly ineffective. {Sidebar: the last sentence was my very own opinion to which you need not agree; please don't attack! LOL}

Thank you for your patience in reading this lengthy post and thank you very kindly for any information you are willing to provide.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniAZmom View Post
As for seafood? We have a great restaurant in South Scottsdale called the Salt Cellar that has awesome food. Pricey, but great! Also another one in Phoenix called the Fish Market.
The Fish Market shut down a couple of months back.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Default Keep 'em coming!

for the positive remarks and specific recommendations...I'm taking notes!
for the negative remarks. Lalalalalalalalalala....{fingers in my ears} I can't heeeaaarrrr youuuuu! hehehe

I've been to AZ in the summer and can't wait. Try 105 degrees and 97% humidity; everything melts, heck, your BONES sweat. Don't get me wrong, I love it in the South. I live in a subtropical climate for a reason: COLD IS BAD. period. I'm moving for reasons that have nothing to do with climate, employment, traffic, hospitality, etc. My reasons are moving are all to do with me as an individual wanting to take this same great me and park it in a new place. I've thought about this move very carefully for a long, long time.

Sure, I know it's going to be tough finding a job and I've already figured out that I'm probably looking at a minimum $6K paycut. I won't jump off that bridge without knowing how deep the water is first, but you can betchya I'm going to give it all I've got (and that's durn plenty!) before I give up on moving this summer. Won't give up on making the move without some pretty cosmic changes happening LOL.

Sure I know it's against the house odds that I'll find the perfectly adorable little quirky "born to be in the desert" dwelling at a price I can afford on an AZ teacher's salary, but I was once told (about educational budgeting), "If you want a shovel, request a dump truck." If you don't ask the question, how can you possibly hear the answer you want?

Sure I know traffic can be awful; traffic can be awful here. I take a longer route on slower roads to work because I get there faster by avoiding the worst of the traffic. I'm a backroads driving girl; I'll find a way.

Thanks again, all you positive energy, AZ-lovin' folks; please keep the info coming. Those of you who don't like AZ, I hope you have a safe trip to your next locale and love it there forever.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
No more Fish Market.. boo... At least I get to go to the original in Palo Alto once a year.

Steamers and McCormick and Schmicks restaurants are further east on Camelback from the old Fish Market location. Both known for seafood.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Housemate? Smart or scary?

Here's another question. I've been looking at rentals in the Chandler area online and came across a link for a roommate search. I've been giving that some thought. Might be an idea to find someone looking for a responsible, dependable, quiet professional to share a house. Could mean better accomodations, maybe even a private pool, at the same or less than I'd pay for a 1BR apartment in the area. Has anyone out there ever done something like that and if so, would you mind sharing your experiences with me? I'm only really interested in responses from people at least somewhat similar to me. I'm single, 48, female, and a professional (teacher) so I wouldn't think I'd run into the same sort of pluses and minuses as someone in their 20's, right?

Thanks in advance for any responses. Have a great day!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM

103 posts, read 229,816 times
We live in Chandler. Very safe. IT's the best city to live in. it's got everything Scottsdale has minus the attitude (and the night clubs...big deal).
We live close to Ocotillo which is the best part of chandler. I would recommend south chandler. we live off germanne and alma school rd. Close to everything including the freeway. Some nice apt.'s/houses around here to rent.

Tons of great places to eat. Best seafood for me? Roy's Hawaiin fusion. Keg steakhouse not bad either.

Verizon gives you the best coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area