Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 PM

25 posts, read 49,886 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon from the Gulf Coast. I am a high school teacher with 14 years of classroom experience licensed to teach business and computer classes. I have a great career working with great people for a great district, but that's pretty much all I have at this point. This area has become familiar to the point of contempt, to paraphrase a cliche.

I plan to move to Chandler next summer barring any major stumbling blocks, so I'm not looking for advice as to whether I should or shouldn't relocate. What I would like, from anyone who's willing to add his/her two-cents' worth, is just personalized, individualized, non-generic comments and/or recommendations and/or links about the Chandler/Gilbert area.

Examples:
Know anyone with a tiny adobe house on a teeny lot for a reasonably priced lease in a part of town safe enough for an old, single schoolteacher?
Where can a gal with a cowlick get a good haircut?
Is it possible to get tasty seafood in the desert?
What's the best cellphone provider for someone making lots of long calls back to the Magnolia state?
AND/OR anything you'd like to tell me about living in the Chandler/Gilbert area.

I'd really like to hear only from those people who actually live in Chandler or Gilbert. Phoenix, like New Orleans, has such a strong individuality that comparisions between it (Phx) and outlying towns are mostly ineffective. {Sidebar: the last sentence was my very own opinion to which you need not agree; please don't attack! LOL}

Thank you for your patience in reading this lengthy post and thank you very kindly for any information you are willing to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
I'm sure all of us will want to know the following before we answer your questions in detail (I live in Chandler)

1. Will you have a confirmed or guaranteed job position when you move next summer?
2. Have you ever been to Phoenix? If so, how much time did you spend?
3. Are you aware Phoenix is much more liberal than New Orleans and is essentially a west coast state . We are only conservative when compared to California, Oregon and Washington but relative to New Orleans and the South, we are nothing like the South. Are you aware of that?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-17-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Response to azriverfan

1. I won't be moving if I don't have a job (well, unless I hit the lottery! LOL)
2. I have only been to the airport in Phoenix.
3. I meant absolutely no disparagement of Phx at all! Having spent most my life in the "Deep South", I know how conservative this part of the country can be (though not everyone is) and I know that West Coast states tend to be more liberal (though not everyone is). ALL I meant was that I suspect Phoenix to be a bit more fast-paced, congested, and urban than many of the towns that surround it--much like New Orleans. Having lived in smaller towns (speaking of geography & population here, not mindset), I think I'll be happier in a town of similar geographical size and population. That having been clarified (I hope, I hope), let me say that ONE of the reasons I'm looking to make this move is because I've been considering a move BACK out West for YEARS. I was BORN in Arizona, lived in California a couple of times, have family in New Mexico. So I am not completely and totally ignorant of the area.

Please do accept my apologies if you took what I posted to mean even the slightest slur to Phoenix. If I didn't believe I will enjoy the Chandler area (yes, Phoenix, too) then I probably wouldn't be planning to relocate there, oui? Better? No more chip? Happy all around?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
No need to apologize. We have people from all over the country and they love it here. Phoenix is a true melting pot and it's one reason I love it here. There is a lot of geographic diversity and it's easy to meet people because everyone was in your shoes at one point. I have neighbors from Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, California, Maryland etc. That's normal here. You will fit in.

I just wanted to make sure you had a job before you arrived because teaching positions in particular are competitive. The good school districts like Kyrene ( in Chandler) etc are competitive and people will substitute teach for years to get in. I will answer your specific questions later...I have to run

Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Tiny adobe house on a tiny lot for lease? Probably not in Chandler or Gilbert. That sort of thing doesn't sound particularly easy to find anywhere in the Valley.

Chandler and Gilbert are both very nice cities to live in. Gilbert much more conservative, more Mormon church influence on city politics. Gilbert is further out if you plan on going into Phoenix with any regularity.

You say you were born here, but don't say you lived here, so I assume you only lived here as a small child.

The haircut problem you can probably solve, yes there are a few good seafood restaurants here.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Sounds like you have your 'ducks' in a row...I don't live in Phoenix, but suggest you might want to look at areas around the state as well, or just rent rather than buy right off the bat, as employment issues as AZRiver gave you may not be favorable in that area, but maybe in others would be amenable. Seafood...if you are near Casa Grande let me know, we brought seafood from Alaska with, (no way giving away again) would be happy to make you a meal...or anyone else should the fancy hit them Nothing is better than good seafood....

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Default response to observer53

Thanks for your post

I'm realistic enough to know that it's unlikely that I'll find the perfectly quirky little desert dwelling for rent, especially on a teacher's salary, but it costs nothing to ask and hey, you never know. I guess a better request would be to ask if anyone could tell me of a local resource for less "commercial" rentals? Those not typically listed in sites like rent.com? Is that a better query?

I have family in Chandler, so I'll be living in or very near there when I do move. Conservative vs Liberal? Not so much something I'm concerned about. I'm a pretty laid back, quiet living sort of gal not known for stepping on toes, so I imagine I'll get by okay.

Yes, only lived there as a very small child, but have made several visits over the years to NM & AZ & CA...usually in June &/or July...loved it every time.

Sure I'll find my own stylist, but maybe there's a lady out there with problematic hair who has a magician to recommend; again, can't hurt to ask.

Good seafood restaurants? Any specific recommendation by any chance?

Thanks again for your observations and suggestions. Have a lovely day.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Default response to Grannysroost

Thank you for your response.

I have family in Chandler, so I will be moving to Chandler or very near there when I do move, so I know that might be restrictive regarding employment, but I am not terribly concerned. I'm old enough now that I won't jump into a life change this major without at least knowing I have gainful employment to house & feed me (since I love to eat, VERY important LOL).

If, come early spring, you see what appears to be snow over Chandler, it will just be me inundating the schools and certain other businesses with my resume. If I have no luck, I'll weep a bit, sign another contract with my current district, and keep trying. Wish me luck? and maybe, sometime next summer, I'll post here again to see if you have any of that seafood left!! Thank you again and have a fantastic day!!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
You don't have to teach in Kyrene District. There are a gazillion school districts in this state. The ones that are tougher are always looking for teachers. We're not talking New Orleans tough here - mostly English language and poorer family issues. Teacher employment opportunities have always been abundant here due to growth. In the last year, it has tightened to be sure as the state legislature whacked away at teachers and schools in lieu of raising taxes to meet a budget shortfall. Many teachers got laid off - contracts were not renewed over the summer, but most (except music and arts, LOL) got hired back on the stimulus money. We'll see how things go next year. But if you are willing to teach in something other than an affluent district, you will be able to find a job.

One comment on your "take" of Phoenix. Phoenix is very homogeneous actually. There is little real difference between Chandler, Gilbert, Goodyear, Surprise, Peoria, Queen Creek, Scottsdale, Mesa and much of Phoenix city proper. Each city has varying amounts of good and bad, old and new mixed in.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 PM

284 posts, read 700,997 times
Good luck with the hairstylist! I have thick hair that grows fast and I'm still looking for someone who can give me a decent haircut! Of course, I'm not willing to pay more than $20, so maybe that's part of it. Last stylist was recommended by a friend. Stylist told me she knew better than clients how to cut hair. I hate the haircut - waaay too short!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area