Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,170,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I lived in NW Indiana for 3 1/2 months a couple of years ago in April to July (that was all I could take). Even when it was cold, it felt humid. So yes, to me, it felt humid "all the time" and for someone like me who has lived in an extremely dry climate practically my entire life, it does not take much for the humidity to bother me. I understand you mid westerners don't think it's that bad but us westerners really can feel it. Like right now it's 14% humidity here in Phoenix. That is nice. I even prefer it when it is under 10%.

It felt quite a bit higher than 30% humidity to me when I was out in the mid west. All I know is that I did not like it one bit and it felt sticky and humid. The air was thick and it just felt gross. It's all what you are used to I guess.
I feel the same way. Anything over 30% is too much for me, but then again I'm a phx native. To me it doesn't matter either if it's in the winter or summer, if the humidity is up, I'm miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,180 times
I just signed up for this forum to put my 2 cents in....THIS PLACE IS F****NG HELL!!!!!! DO NOT COME HERE!!! I grew up back east and had one of my family members "talk" me into coming out here...been here for bout 5 years and ill say as soon as i can afford a cross country move...im gettin the hell outta here. The summers are ungodly and even deadly..for people that were born and raised here their body's are used to it and can handle it with ease. For those of us who are from different parts of the states...its a damn health hazzard.

Granted, the only positive thing i'll say about this place is that from November - early March its pretty nice...but from April - late September and sometimes well into October...HELL!!! Maybe good for a Winter holiday/getaway...but thats about it. For the love of god do not move here! YOU WILL regret it in the end as I have!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,705 times
Did you happen to visit here at all, do any research, or even just talk to anyone in AZ other then one of your family members before you decided to move, or did you just pick up and move here? I'm curious b/c it seems that most of the people who post here saying it's "hell" are people who didn't thoroughly research and visit before moving.

If the fact that it gets to 110 degrees in the summer for extended periods of time was a complete shock to you until you moved here, then I can see how you'd think it was "hell." Likewise, if the fact that it gets 110 degrees in the summer for extended periods of time was a complete shock to you until you moved here, then I'd say you knew nothing about AZ prior to your move and you should probably work on your decision making skills in the future. To pick up and move somewhere, anywhere, without visiting and researching the area, makes no sense at all.

I'm originally from the DC area and have only been in Phoenix for 3 1/2 yrs. It hasn't been a "health hazard" for me. I actually really like it, aside from monsoon. Yes, the long period of 100+ degree weather gets old, but it's only for 3 months or so, and the rest of the year the weather is great, IMO....no humidity, no bugs and blue skies almost every day - gotta love it! So you by no means speak for "those of us from different parts of the states."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Jimmy M View Post
I just signed up for this forum to put my 2 cents in....THIS PLACE IS F****NG HELL!!!!!! DO NOT COME HERE!!! I grew up back east and had one of my family members "talk" me into coming out here...been here for bout 5 years and ill say as soon as i can afford a cross country move...im gettin the hell outta here. The summers are ungodly and even deadly..for people that were born and raised here their body's are used to it and can handle it with ease. For those of us who are from different parts of the states...its a damn health hazzard.

Granted, the only positive thing i'll say about this place is that from November - early March its pretty nice...but from April - late September and sometimes well into October...HELL!!! Maybe good for a Winter holiday/getaway...but thats about it. For the love of god do not move here! YOU WILL regret it in the end as I have!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
It is hot but not intolerable as all that. Just got back from AJ's and people are sitting outside in 111 degree heat in the shade. Could not do that in Chico. 111 with the rice farmers flooding the fields...now that was he..!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
I treat Arizona summers like I do winters in other places...I stay indoors a lot or in the car, both which have great AC, and it really isn't all that bad. That, or take a dip in the pool. Humidity is so low here that water evaporates off your body very quick which cools you down incredibly fast.

I've heard people complain "It's hot as hell and you have to always use the AC...but try and spend a day without AC." Ok...why the hell would anyone spend the day without AC? Just to prove it's too hot without it? That's like saying "Let's turn the heat off in NY in the middle of winter." I don't see why people object to having the AC on, is that their only argument? I've got it set at 74 degrees and its sunny and beautiful outside the window, it could be 80 degrees out and I wouldn't know the difference from in here.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
How do we cope? Drink plenty of water, and iced tea.

There are those who can't seem to get acclimated to our hot and dry summers here in the desert, but it's not as bad as some tend to describe it. To me, people who are from the colder areas of the country, before moving here, they should come out here during the hottest time of the year, like July and see if they can deal with the hot weather. If they can't, then it's time to look somewhere else.

DJ Jimmy D, you say "it's hot from April until October and sometimes November", well most of us desert natives say it's hot from late May until late September and sometimes we get lucky, like this year, the hot weather doesn't really come in until June.

Yeah, it's hot for 4 months, but very nice for the rest of the year.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 PM

319 posts, read 494,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
How do we cope? Drink plenty of water, and iced tea.

There are those who can't seem to get acclimated to our hot and dry summers here in the desert, but it's not as bad as some tend to describe it. To me, people who are from the colder areas of the country, before moving here, they should come out here during the hottest time of the year, like July and see if they can deal with the hot weather. If they can't, then it's time to look somewhere else.

DJ Jimmy D, you say "it's hot from April until October and sometimes November", well most of us desert natives say it's hot from late May until late September and sometimes we get lucky, like this year, the hot weather doesn't really come in until June.

Yeah, it's hot for 4 months, but very nice for the rest of the year.
Wasn't it like 99 for several days in March?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Here are the monthly averages for Phoenix...

Jan 65°F 43°F
Feb 69°F 47°F
Mar 74°F 51°F
Apr 83°F 58°F
May 92°F 66°F
Jun 102°F 75°F
Jul 104°F 81°F
Aug 102°F 80°F
Sep 97°F 75°F
Oct 86°F 63°F
Nov 73°F 50°F
Dec 65°F 44°F

Now I admit the average high numbers for the summer look awfully low, but if those are the statistics, then I guess those are the statistics.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Wasn't it like 99 for several days in March?
On rare occasions we do get days like that in March, but it was only 2 or 3 days and it cooled back down. In fact we stayed below 100 degrees for the entire month of May, even though we did hit 100 degrees on one day in April.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
On rare occasions we do get days like that in March, but it was only 2 or 3 days and it cooled back down. In fact we stayed below 100 degrees for the entire month of May, even though we did hit 100 degrees on one day in April.
Actually...we hit 100+ on a few occasions in May 2007...

May 10: 102
May 11: 103
May 12: 105
May 13: 101
May 15: 101
May 17: 100
May 18: 100
May 19: 100
May 20: 100
May 27: 101

The rest of the days were in the low - high 90s and we had a week of highs in the 80s. The real nice thing was our low temps were in the high 60s - mid 70s which is why it seemed so great, the evenings and nights cooled down nicely and even though there were 10 days with 100+, that high was only for an hour or so around 3:00 PM.

For may, high 90s and low 100s really isn't bad when you take the low humidity into account. This is one of the few places I think where it actually feels cooler outside then it actually is. Take right now for example, at 7:15 PM Weather.com shows its 107 degrees in Phoenix but it feels like 99 degrees with 4% humidty. Most other places it's the opposite, it will be 90 degrees but feel like 97 due to humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area