Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,581,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
No it is MN for you for a bit
Just a few more weeks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Since I'm moving near the end of April and all, will snow be an issue along the way? I'm not too familiar with weather patterns along the mountainous areas.

Though not in Arizona, I'm most concerned with going across I-70 (after Denver and before Grand Junction) in Colorado. I am not concerned with the route I'm taking through Utah as it will be along the Colorado River past Moab.

Also, I'm kind of worried for I-40 and I-17 around Flagstaff. Is my worrying unfounded?

I just don't want to be driving through any snow that time of year, but I guess it could always happen...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM

211 posts, read 641,816 times
I can't speak for the mountain passes, but if you're willing to accept slightly less majestic scenery, consider dropping further south earlier in your trip. Heck, I think I-35 runs right through the Twin Cities, why not just take 35 south to Oklahoma City, catch 40 west to Flagstaff, and then I-17 into town. I've had to drop south into Texas to get home via Las Cruces, but that was four years ago around Christmas, when a blizzard shut down 40 across northern New Mexico.

I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about weather south of Wichita. The KS turnpike is very nice, and I-40 is as well. Make sure you've got fresh wiper blades on the car before you leave just in case you run into those April showers.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Well, I've had my heart set on my route for a while now. To me, it would be very boring going down through Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, etc. I've wanted to see the Black Hills and the Rockies for a while now, (though limited), and I figured this is my time to do it.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Well, I've had my heart set on my route for a while now. To me, it would be very boring going down through Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, etc. I've wanted to see the Black Hills and the Rockies for a while now, (though limited), and I figured this is my time to do it.
If you've never seen the Rockies, then you ought to seize this opportunity to do so. Totally. I don't know if you've posted your route yet. Are you thinking about taking 94 west and then dropping south when you reach mountains, effectively bypassing boredom? That could be a winning plan. I couldn't speak to the weather that far north, but I understand your concern now.

You're right about some of my previously mentioned route being boring. It is. I would gnaw my own leg off before I would drive I-70 across northern Kansas ever again. There's something about being places where you can hit "seek" on the radio and nothing happens. Meanwhile, there is - ONE - tree on the horizon and it takes half an hour to pass it.

I worked two jobs for the better part of 2 years in order to save up the funds to escape from Kansas and move to Phoenix. I was just in time for the tech sector not being too big to fail. Phoenix will recover. You're gonna dig it here.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM

I did post my route, but on the General US forum. It will most likely be this, though I may tweak it a bit here and there, but this is the most efficient route for what I want to see:
  • S I-35 to I-90 all the way to Rapid City, SD
  • Go through 16, to 85/18, to 18/20, to I-25 all the way down to Cheyenne, WY and Denver, CO
  • West on I-70 past Grand Junction until I get to 128 so I can follow the Colorado river all the way to Moab
  • From there go down 191 all the way until I hit Arizona
  • Continue down 191 then cross to 89 until I hit Flagstaff
  • That'll then take me to I-17 to my desired destination on Phoenix

By the time I pass Flagstaff, I figure I'll just want to get there already instead of going off to see different places along the way. Since it'll just be me alone, it'll be even harder to keep from getting bored. So after I see the more interesting things (like when praries turn to mountains, then that turns into a semi-arid landscape, then to an arid landscape) I'll just be tired, I'm assuming, and will want to make it as fast as I can.

I'm going to stay a night in Minneapolis, to say goodbye to some family and friends, then I think I'll leave early in the AM to make it to Denver from Minneapolis. I'll plan on staying the night in Denver. After that, I may just stay the night in Flagstaff, since I'll be doing some sightseeing in/around Moab since that's one of the places that interests me the most to see along the way. If I take a lot of time in/around Utah, then I'll stay the night in Utah, and make a straight shot the next morning. But I'm counting on 3 to 4 days getting there.

EDIT: I don't want to come across as offensive in my last post by saying places like Iowa and Kansas would be boring, but I'm so used to flatness when I visit central Minnesota that I need a different type of scenery to keep me awake

Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Sounds like a decent route. Wouldn't mind driving it myself, actually!

I don't know how you'd make the 191 to 89 switch short of taking 191 to I-40 and then straight into Flag. In that case, you'd miss the 89 for the most part.

No worries on sightseeing in Arizona on that last leg of the trip. It's all day trip stuff for Phoenix residents and you'll be able to go back out and explore once you're settled.

That last two hours into Phoenix from Flag can be exciting. There's a couple thousand feet of elevation change, plenty of downhill grades, winding curves, and people who will be driving at speeds you won't believe. (They're idiots, mostly.) I'm sure the mountains further north will present plenty of opportunities for super-attentive driving, but I figure I'll throw it out there that, even though Flagstaff represents the "home stretch," there is still some fairly intense highway on the way off the rim.

It is, however, really neat to crack the windows periodically to check the temperature outside as you go. It might be 50* in Flag, but 90* in Phoenix. I've found the warm, dry air and the amber glow on the horizon after dark comforting reminders that I'm almost home.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Sounds like a decent route. Wouldn't mind driving it myself, actually!

I don't know how you'd make the 191 to 89 switch short of taking 191 to I-40 and then straight into Flag. In that case, you'd miss the 89 for the most part.

No worries on sightseeing in Arizona on that last leg of the trip. It's all day trip stuff for Phoenix residents and you'll be able to go back out and explore once you're settled.

That last two hours into Phoenix from Flag can be exciting. There's a couple thousand feet of elevation change, plenty of downhill grades, winding curves, and people who will be driving at speeds you won't believe. (They're idiots, mostly.) I'm sure the mountains further north will present plenty of opportunities for super-attentive driving, but I figure I'll throw it out there that, even though Flagstaff represents the "home stretch," there is still some fairly intense highway on the way off the rim.

It is, however, really neat to crack the windows periodically to check the temperature outside as you go. It might be 50* in Flag, but 90* in Phoenix. I've found the warm, dry air and the amber glow on the horizon after dark comforting reminders that I'm almost home.
Yeah I'm not too worried about sightseeing up in northern AZ since I'll have all summer to do that!

I've been on I-17 before from Flagstaff to Phoenix, and though I slept about half the way, I remember it being all pretty much downhill!

I finally have an outdoor thermometer in my new car, so with cracking the window open, I'll actually be able to see what the temperature is at any given time. It'll be fun to see the temperature difference from Flagstaff to Phoenix unfolding right in front of me!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM

91 posts, read 246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Since I'm moving near the end of April and all, will snow be an issue along the way? I'm not too familiar with weather patterns along the mountainous areas.

Though not in Arizona, I'm most concerned with going across I-70 (after Denver and before Grand Junction) in Colorado. I am not concerned with the route I'm taking through Utah as it will be along the Colorado River past Moab.

Also, I'm kind of worried for I-40 and I-17 around Flagstaff. Is my worrying unfounded?

I just don't want to be driving through any snow that time of year, but I guess it could always happen...
It depends on what time in April if it is the beginning you could very easily run into snow in the area's you listed at high elevations even into May really. Though in the areas you listed as well as a concern they are used to snow....the interstates are heavily traveled therefore very well maintained. You live in MN you should be fine with driving in the snow so just do your thing. Just hope for good weather but be prepared for snow.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake13 View Post
It depends on what time in April if it is the beginning you could very easily run into snow in the area's you listed at high elevations even into May really. Though in the areas you listed as well as a concern they are used to snow....the interstates are heavily traveled therefore very well maintained. You live in MN you should be fine with driving in the snow so just do your thing. Just hope for good weather but be prepared for snow.
Very true, I am a Minnesotan and driving in snow isn't tough. It's not myself I'm worried about, it's others. I trust my driving in the snow, but even up here don't trust anyone. That's why I have driving in the snow

I'll just hope for the best. I'm thinking of leaving on my trip around the 21st or 22nd, so I'm just hoping that if there is snowfall that it won't be much...

EDIT: But now that I think about it, if it does snow along the way, that's kind of a sign of my last test, I guess. If I make it through that, I'll be golden! Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area