Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times

Advertisements

I was on this forum 2 years ago whining that I couldnt stand the heat, the damn oppressive heat...wah wah...anyway...I moved back to Washington state where I was assaulted with months and months of cloudy dreary weather....I almost went insane. Now I have moved back to this place of "oppressive heat", but this time I REALLY appreciate what we all have here. Maybe its hot...but its blue and sunny...and everything is cheap here to boot...And its about attitude I guess. Instead of feeling like the heat attacks me when I go from my work to my car, It now embraces me. I love AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM

31 posts, read 45,345 times
After living here for 27 years, you get use to the heat but the thing that drags you down is the repetition of it. Now that we are into summer, we won't have a high lower than 90 for a long time and right now it's looking like it won't be lower than 100 for a while. That's why we get so excited during the summer when we see clouds coming in just hoping for some rain to cool us down a bit. It's 9:30pm at night and still 99 degrees out. At midnight the temp will be a freezing 93 degrees and the low for the day will be 84 degrees!

Putting up with the monotonous heat is what we get for the nice winters.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispydude View Post
After living here for 27 years, you get use to the heat but the thing that drags you down is the repetition of it. Now that we are into summer, we won't have a high lower than 90 for a long time and right now it's looking like it won't be lower than 100 for a while. That's why we get so excited during the summer when we see clouds coming in just hoping for some rain to cool us down a bit. It's 9:30pm at night and still 99 degrees out. At midnight the temp will be a freezing 93 degrees and the low for the day will be 84 degrees!

Putting up with the monotonous heat is what we get for the nice winters.
This is what I like about living where I live. It's 10:02 and it's 90 degrees outside. In Phoenix proper, it doesn't cool down as much in the evening. At least here in Chandler, it does go down quicker.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
This is what I like about living where I live. It's 10:02 and it's 90 degrees outside. In Phoenix proper, it doesn't cool down as much in the evening. At least here in Chandler, it does go down quicker.
Yeah...remember those other states where all of you used to live, when the movie was over, walking out of the theatre and being hit with the icy chill....well not here...just a nice warm evening greets you as you walk to your car. Now, I really like that.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Suburban locations usually cool down faster, that's the way it was when I lived in Chandler too. Avondale and the far west valley segments also still can be pleasant late at night.

But now until about September is the monsoon season and temperatures will cool down nicely if we get some nice thundershowers that blow through the entire metropolitan area.

If the storms are isolated or if it's another rainless nonsoon season like last year then it's probably going to stay hot day and night no matter where you live.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra331 View Post
Lived in Ahwatukee (Phoenix suburb) for 2 years and HATED the summers. The first summer I almost passed out until I learned about drinking enough water to get you through. What I really didn't like was that if you have kids who are on summer break, you really can't take them out to the parks and all because it's too damn HOT. Luckily we had a pool so spent a lot of time there, but how much swimming can you do, every day from May to October? (Kids go back to school in August, but the heat remains through September.) Lots of folks plan weekends going to San Diego (long haul, but some do it EVERY weekend!) to get away from the heat. We also had an ice rink nearby, spent some time there just to enjoy the AC and not spend $400 a month using our own!
When I was a kid in Casa Grande my Mom made us kids go outside to play so she could mop the floor. She would say, "Go outside and play, the sun is good for you!" LOL It was 120° in the shade!

BTW: no AC, we did have a swamp cooler.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I love it when the newbies come on here talking about how tough they are in the heat. ha ha

Oh yea, and how theirs is so much worse and ours is no biggy. haha

You crazy little lizards at heart have fun. I just hope your electric doesn't go out in a monsoon storm, lol.

And drink some damn water, a lot of water. ha ha You crazy little skin cancer wantabes, oh and the shades, don't forget the shades, geez, cataracts start here at 30. ha ha

Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
If i was to live anywhere in az it would be flagstaff. I have been to flagstaff in the winter & summer & tucson & phoenix only in the winter. I went to hoover dam in nv in the middle of summer & crossed over into az. It was horribly hot but nice scenery & a very small town (in az). I remember the big clock with the time zone change on the state border (nv/az). The forcast for today in phoenix,az is high-107, low-83. The forcast for yucaipa,ca (so.ca/inland)) today is high-86, low-54 & no humidity just like phoenix (dry heat). Summer nights are generally cool here (low 60s). I sleep comfortable with just my fan on. I havent used my swamp cooler yet this yr. Im putting it off as long as i can. Last yr i used my cooler from july-sept.

Last edited by steel7; 07-03-2010 at 03:24 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
When I was a kid in Casa Grande my Mom made us kids go outside to play so she could mop the floor. She would say, "Go outside and play, the sun is good for you!" LOL It was 120° in the shade!

BTW: no AC, we did have a swamp cooler.
I always did say our parents DID NOT love us as much as we love OUR kids...another testament to that point

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 31,402 times
[/quote]
My point is, no one place is perfect, but I would rather put up with the minor inconveniences of the heat, than the major ones of the cold.[/quote]

This staement could not be ANY truer! For people who have not experienced extreme cold and winters, you just do not know how bad it does really get.
Last winter here in NH it was -20 below with a wind chill factor which made it feel like it -30below. It was HORRIBLE. i couldn't even walk to my car (which was about 15 feet from my door) without feeling like my face was gonna fall off.
That right there is why I want to move to AZ.

But I am Still concerned about the economy in the surpise,phoenix are...anyone ellaborate on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area