Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,392 times

Advertisements

I just want to thank everyone for all the information that is provided on this site. It is so helpful. I am finally going to get my sunshine this winter. I am going to drive from Wisconsin, 30 hours, oh boy.

I never moved out of state before, so it's a bit scary for me. I have temporary housing lined up and some interviews. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

I hope to find a nice church and friends. I bet once I get there I will be reading this forum even more for all the helpful advice.

Thanks to All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 PM

267 posts, read 898,180 times
Good for you. The drive from WI. to AZ. isn't that bad - I've done it before in 2 days, with 3 kids in the backseat (one still in diapers). Ever heard of Weyauwega, WI? Hopefully, you're planning to leave WI before too much snow is on the ground, otherwise the drive from WI all the way to around CO can be a little tedious at times.

What side of town are you planning on moving to? Where are you looking at jobs at? I'm sure there is more information you can get ahead of time, if you let us all know what your plans are when you get to Phx.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Default I will beat the snow, thank goodness.

I will be arriving on November 8th and found temporary housing in Sun Lakes. I was blessed with a fantastic deal (not a seasonal rate) on a furnished home that someone had to break their lease on. I will have it for 4 months. That will give me time to find something else. Like everyone says on the forum, rent before you buy. I am going to look into being a caregiver or real estate, believe it or not. I know things are tough right now to consider that.

I now live about 35 miles from Weyauwega, WI. Nice little town.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,337 times
Now thats a positive attitude!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM

Sun Lakes is nice - close to the freeway, and not too far out in the middle of nowhere. Good to hear that everything settled into place for you - kind of helps you think that you must be doing the right thing, huh? Good luck with whichever direction you choose to take your career when you get here. Yeah, real estate is hard, but there is still a living to be made - it just isn't as easy as it used to be. On the bright side, I'm sure there are a whole lot fewer real estate agents in town nowadays, since the housing market turned. All those people who were sure that it was just easy cash, bailed out quick once they realized they might actually have to put some WORK in to get a house sold.

35 miles outside, huh? Appleton, or Steven's Point? I'm much more fond of the Appleton area - have some great friends and relatives in Kimberly. WI has just a little too much snow for my liking, though!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Default No More Snow, Clouds for Weeks and FREEZING. Yipee!

I live in Appleton (which is 35 miles from Weyauwega) and have family in Kimberly. What a small world. I love Appleton, the people the state, I just NEED more sunshine in the Fall, Winter and Spring. It is too cloudy for too long and it affects my health.

I see that some Realtors are looking for Buyers Agents to help them out. I am going to meet with some and also call an agency regarding caregiver position. I used to be an LPN, but would need to go back to school to do that again. I am considering that as a possibility too.

I am looking forward to the gorgeous sunshine of Arizona. I know it gets hot in the summer. I know I like 105 degrees there, I do wonder what 115 degrees feels like.

Where are you from originally? From your forum name, it sounds like you like it there.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Do I have to worry about snow in Colorada in Early November

I just thought about what you said. Do I have to worry about snow in Colorada in Early November. Is there a better way to go. I don't want to run into snow on this trip. I sometimes forget about the higher elevations. I was shocked when I visited Phoenix in November and our friends wanted to go to Flagstaff. It was just as cold as Wisconsin and Snowy. I was dressed for Phoenix weather. I guess you learn things everyday. I thought all of Arizona was warm. I wonder if most people know that or not.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I live in Appleton (which is 35 miles from Weyauwega) and have family in Kimberly. What a small world. I love Appleton, the people the state, I just NEED more sunshine in the Fall, Winter and Spring. It is too cloudy for too long and it affects my health.

I see that some Realtors are looking for Buyers Agents to help them out. I am going to meet with some and also call an agency regarding caregiver position. I used to be an LPN, but would need to go back to school to do that again. I am considering that as a possibility too.

I am looking forward to the gorgeous sunshine of Arizona. I know it gets hot in the summer. I know I like 105 degrees there, I do wonder what 115 degrees feels like.

Where are you from originally? From your forum name, it sounds like you like it there.
Well ... originally, I'm from Florida. Made my way to AZ, with LA, MO, Germany, and IN in between. Spent 18 years in the Phx metro area, before I finally left for SD last winter.

Phx is great, but I missed having 4 seasons, and I wanted somewhere a little more "hometown" feel to raise my kids. I'm on the west side of SD now, which has a lot more mild winters, and outdoor attractions (Mt. Rushmore, Crazyhorse, badlands, canyons, lakes, etc.) so I really think I've landed in the perfect spot - at least for the next 15 years or so until my kids are grown.

My ex's family is all still in WI - Weyauwega, Kimberly, Appleton mostly, but a few as far up as Eagle River. I love going to visit - I just always hope to do it in the SUMMER time!!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 PM

142 posts, read 212,311 times
Good look with the extreme heat

Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 PM

132 posts, read 593,102 times
welcome to Phoenix. hope you like it here. we moved 2 yrs ago from chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area