Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
Isn't it obvious? It's a DRY HEAT!! It's not like South Florida (or, for that matter, ANYWHERE in FL), where you don't take your clothes off to take a shower, you PEEL them off.
Anyway, Phoenix is not a great city to live in by any means. People move here because it's sunny and warm most of the time, jobs, relatively cheap to live here. But there's nothing great about Phoenix at all. I could go on and on and on. San Diego here I come - expensive or not.
Hope you are happy in San Diego. Best of luck.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
Isn't it obvious? It's a DRY HEAT!! It's not like South Florida (or, for that matter, ANYWHERE in FL), where you don't take your clothes off to take a shower, you PEEL them off.
Anyway, Phoenix is not a great city to live in by any means. People move here because it's sunny and warm most of the time, jobs, relatively cheap to live here. But there's nothing great about Phoenix at all. I could go on and on and on. San Diego here I come - expensive or not.
Hyperbole.

You'll come running back when your new home is about to fall into the ocean or the cost of living catches up with you.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM

190 posts, read 449,792 times
Several people have said I was crazy to move here from the Central Coast of CA - But you know both places there and AZ here are AWESOME.... I mean I had Big Sur just an hour north of me - at night you could hear the ocean, the fog horn, the cows mooing and the cars on hwy 1. The temp. was about 55-65 most all the time - sometimes seventies. Sometimes colder in winter. But the drag was the fog. It hugs the coast all summer long - grey, drab, wet, thick, profuse, rolling fog. It provides much of the water for the coastal vegetation - like a free watering. This is remedied by driving a short distance to sunshine - but the constant waking to that was a bit harsh. It was gorgeous - but it's gorgeous here. Truly amazing. I wake to sunshine every day - the monsoon clouds are spectacular and the storms exciting - wish more would come. On the coast rain was rare for years - thunder unheard of - lightning rare as well. I have the joys of achey bones and chronic pain - but since I moved here I feel much better. I love the humid heat too - as it reminds me of the Midwest - which I left behind in '03. I enjoy driving to Payson and Pine - stunning views and trees etc... And friendly people here - yesterday was worn and haggard from errands etc outdoors and appointments - stopped in Chipotle for a burrito -- hadn't been to one since last year in CA.... the counter girl saw I was trying to remember how to order there - I told her I'd been to one in CA - but was new to AZ and didn't ever see one till today.... So I put together my order --- she then tells the cashier - don't charge her a thing! This one is on the house - and WELCOME to Arizona :-) Does it get better? Simple things matter - sunshine, happiness, warmth (okay extreme warmth) & knowing it's only going to get better -- cactus's that hi-five you everywhere you go - C'mon - this place is GREAT!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
I moved here for a job. The job was gone in two months. So much for coming and interviewing and getting it in writing, which doesn't really mean a thing.

The economy isn't better here than the Midwest. The people aren't friendlier and everything costs more. My car insurance doubled when I came here.

It is faster paced, people are more touch and go, more materialistic than the Midwest.

If I can get back, I will. It is pretty here, but I find people here keep to themselves. Maybe it is the big concrete fences around the homes?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I moved here for a job. The job was gone in two months. So much for coming and interviewing and getting it in writing, which doesn't really mean a thing.

The economy isn't better here than the Midwest. The people aren't friendlier and everything costs more. My car insurance doubled when I came here.

It is faster paced, people are more touch and go, more materialistic than the Midwest.

If I can get back, I will. It is pretty here, but I find people here keep to themselves. Maybe it is the big concrete fences around the homes?
The economy isn't good anywhere.

The insurance for my VW is cheaper here than it was back home in MI and when I lived in IL and PA.

There is no stark difference between the people here than in the above mentioned states.

The weather is much better here than in all 3 of those states too. I'll never go back to shoveling snow.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

Phoenix is faster pace? Tell that to people from NYC or Chicago. It's all relative.

Same with the people keeping to themselves. It's all what you're used to. I agree that people keep to themselves...I don't know any of my neighbor's names and yell out a hello just every now and then and I've lived in this house for 5 years now...but I'm ok with that, I have no desire to get to know them.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Phoenix is faster pace? Tell that to people from NYC or Chicago. It's all relative.

Same with the people keeping to themselves. It's all what you're used to. I agree that people keep to themselves...I don't know any of my neighbor's names and yell out a hello just every now and then and I've lived in this house for 5 years now...but I'm ok with that, I have no desire to get to know them.
We were used to people keeping to themselves having lived in the northern CA mountains...very creepy. It does not bother me and I find when it is 111 outside, I also get out of the car and run for the front door. I saw two our friends off last month to return to San Diego and so far they hate it. Everything is going up there, taxes, car registration and they cant find a decent apartment for less than $1,900 a month. I will take the AZ heat and non culture over that poo any day of the week.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
San Diego is a great city and I would love to live there...if I could truly afford it. I think people forget how nothing about the place you live in really matters if you are struggling to pay the bills or can't afford to take advantage of the places there because you can't afford to go to them.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

That's the spirit!! No desire to ever know your neighbors...

This is what I am talking about...

Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM

121 posts, read 342,351 times
I used to live in San Diego....but I was in the Navy! That doesn't count. I'll have to rethink SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area